Moore's Law turns 50

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
About time I rebuilt mine. The components are long past the point of being considered "legacy." :biggrin:

I almost splurged on an AMD Bulldozer build last year.
you know how they say mechanics drive the worst cars? My Machine was built by HP in 2006, yeah its 9 years old and running Vista I am sad to admit. It's a bit of a FrankenMachine at this point. I've increased the size of the Power Supply a few times, added a few extra drives and have gradually improved the Graphics with newer/better GPU's to where it can push 1080P on a 120 Inch projector screen. But it still works and works well though it takes forever to boot. I may add an SSD to it soon but its kind of like putting a performance exhaust on a Chevette at this point, why bother. Probably replace this with a Chromebook soon actually as I really do nothing but the Web on this machine and have a really high end work Mac sitting next to it for anything esle

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
we went from the Wright brothers to the Moon in less that 70 years and don't forget the SR71 was and still is officially the fastest plane on earth and was designed completely without computers
The engines are the real secret sauce for the SR-71. Go read how those work. It speaks to the genius of the engineers of the time. The fact that those were made without any computer modeling blows my mind

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
you know how they say mechanics drive the worst cars?
I still design PCBs on the DOS s/w I bought, for $1100, back in '88.

The new version runs over $11k, plus a yearly upgrade fee. Overkill for the jobs I do. And a major pain to use. Not to mention the steep learning curve.

(OK, for some of the consulting jobs I do, I have to use the $6k version, as it has all the features to fully document what I am doing. One of my customers gave me their copy, when they went to the $11k version. No way a poor old coot like me is going to shell out that kind of money!)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I still design PCBs on the DOS s/w I bought, for $1100, back in '88.

The new version runs over $11k, plus a yearly upgrade fee. Overkill for the jobs I do. And a major pain to use. Not to mention the steep learning curve.

(OK, for some of the consulting jobs I do, I have to use the $6k version, as it has all the features to fully document what I am doing. One of my customers gave me their copy, when they went to the $11k version. No way a poor old coot like me is going to shell out that kind of money!)
Oomph. DOS. That takes me back.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The engines are the real secret sauce for the SR-71. Go read how those work. It speaks to the genius of the engineers of the time. The fact that those were made without any computer modeling blows my mind
I recall that they had to continue fueling until just before takeoff as the tolerances were such that at ground level the engines leaked like a sieve - but at operating speeds the tanks would seal from the friction.

Crazy stuff rolled out of Skunk Works...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I recall that they had to continue fueling until just before takeoff as the tolerances were such that at ground level the engines leaked like a sieve - but at operating speeds the tanks would seal from the friction.

Crazy stuff rolled out of Skunk Works...
Yeah. It is also a combo turbojet/ramjet. The cool part to me is the cone in the front. It moves with the speed to keep the air subsonic in the intake. Kinda cool they could make that work without computer models or fancy onboard computers to control it that would be required in today's planes. Just good old fashioned trial and error. That's the real reason it is still the fastest plane. I think that is about the max operating speed of a ramjet without cooking it. Eventually they will figure out the next speed step with the scramjet, but i think that is another huge tech leap.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.