Moore's Law turns 50

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Today’s home video game consoles, for example, have roughly the same processing power of one billion Univac I’s. Even without adjusting for inflation, the cost of a billion Univacs in 1950’s dollars would still exceed the entire money supply of the world today. And had it been possible to buy that many computers in the 1950’s, you would have needed an area about the size of Iceland just to store them. But the consoles cost about $400, and fit comfortably on a shelf.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2015/04/16/happy-birthday-to-moores-law/

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is mind boggling what has happened in the last 50 years with technology and where it will go in the next 50. I remember the first TI hand held calculator I saw when I was a senior at the University, $399 and it was nearly the size of my iPad.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
It is mind boggling what has happened in the last 50 years with technology and where it will go in the next 50. I remember the first TI hand held calculator I saw when I was a senior at the University, $399 and it was nearly the size of my iPad.
We'd better come up with something soon. We're very close to hitting the limit on how small we can make transistors.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
What is more dramatic to me is that we went from Wright Brothers to P51's, B29's, and Me262's in the span of a little over 40 years.....and that is before the calculator. It was all done by slide rule and trial and error.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
What is more dramatic to me is that we went from Wright Brothers to P51's, B29's, and Me262's in the span of a little over 40 years.....and that is before the calculator. It was all done by slide rule and trial and error.
we went from the Wright brothers to the Moon in less that 70 years and don't forget the SR71 was and still is officially the fastest plane on earth and was designed completely without computers

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
we went from the Wright brothers to the Moon in less that 70 years and don't forget the SR71 was and still is officially the fastest plane on earth and was designed completely without computers
....and was designed in the late 50's.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
that was a really good article. I'm so used to shoddy tech journalism I guess

I built a PC with my son for his birthday. He wanted a PS4 I wanted to show him that he could build a system that outperformed a PS4 for less and this is exactly what we did. He has more compute power for $450 than was in systems I sold for in the millions a decade ago.
I'd love to hear more. I've looked for robotics stuff for my 15 y.o., but it's all kits and really costly. I'm structural, not mechanical or electrical, so that whole area is foreign to me. The websites seem to be either a cookbook kit that is expensive or here is 80 pages of parts, just figure it out. I would love something in the middle, but haven't had any luck yet.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Getting to transistors the width of a few atoms is probably the limit.
Yah, Moore said as much in 2005:
"In terms of size [of transistors] you can see that we're approaching the size of atoms which is a fundamental barrier, but it'll be two or three generations before we get that far—but that's as far out as we've ever been able to see. We have another 10 to 20 years before we reach a fundamental limit. By then they'll be able to make bigger chips and have transistor budgets in the billions."

We are almost there with current tech. No telling what, if any, developments might push us past the current (perceived?) barrier...

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'd love to hear more. I've looked for robotics stuff for my 15 y.o., but it's all kits and really costly. I'm structural, not mechanical or electrical, so that whole area is foreign to me. The websites seem to be either a cookbook kit that is expensive or here is 80 pages of parts, just figure it out. I would love something in the middle, but haven't had any luck yet.
I built a variant of this with all parts sourced locally at Fry's because I hate waiting. My build used a 60 GB SSD drive and slightly different but similarly specked AMD processor. Like this build mail in rebates played a part getting it in under $500 and like this build that doesn't include software (Ubuntu linux is free, super easy to install and really works great) of KVM (keyboard Video[monitor] or Mouse) as I had them all. Came out to $458 and change

from here https://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds

The Next-Gen Crusher

About
This is probably the best bang-for-your-buck build in this entire page. It renders any gaming console obsolete through superior performance, as the GPU is measured to be approximately 2x the power of the console-equivalent 260X. Considering that both next-gen consoles have significantly less processing power than this build (especially when you look at real-world gaming performance), this PC will have you absolutely set for the duration of the generation (if you're willing to drop your settings to what the consoles are locked at, which is usually around 900p, ~45FPS, and "Low-Medium"). This build in particular is suitable for running most modern games at 1080p/60fps/medium-high settings. It provides for PC versatility, as well. Do you want to play at 144fps on a 144Hz monitor for your First-person shooters? Perfect. Lower your settings and your framerate shoots up. Do you care less about the framerate than the extreme-quality visuals? Wonderful. Crank those dials up and witness the glory. Do you want to stream your gaming online? Mod your favorite game to death? Make videos for Youtube (or Vessal...)? Create high-res, high quality original content based on your favorite dragon movies? Books? Music? Homework? (yeah, parents.. we know you read this!) This PC will do it in style, and for many years to come.

This build originally targeted pretty strictly around $400, but it's been adjusted various times to include slightly more expensive parts deemed important.

If you have a maximum budget of $400, contact us here for a part list to fit your budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-4200 3.3GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor $59.95 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler *Thermaltake CL-P0503 18.6 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler $5.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $45.98 @ Newegg
Memory *G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.98 @ NCIX US
Video Card *XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card $159.99 @ Newegg
Case *Raidmax ATX-402WB ATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply *XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $26.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $486.86
Mail-in rebates -$65.00
Total $421.86
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-15 10:20 EDT-0400

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Yah, Moore said as much in 2005:
"In terms of size [of transistors] you can see that we're approaching the size of atoms which is a fundamental barrier, but it'll be two or three generations before we get that far—but that's as far out as we've ever been able to see. We have another 10 to 20 years before we reach a fundamental limit. By then they'll be able to make bigger chips and have transistor budgets in the billions."

We are almost there with current tech. No telling what, if any, developments might push us past the current (perceived?) barrier...
And he nailed it with the low end of his prediction. 10 years later and transistors with atoms numbered in the single digits have been realized. Purdue even claims to have made a functional transistor with a single Phosphorus atom.

Graphene, GaN or some similar leap will keep us advancing, but I won't be surprised if Moore's Law has a hiccup in the near future.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I built a variant of this with all parts sourced locally at Fry's because I hate waiting. My build used a 60 GB SSD drive and slightly different but similarly specked AMD processor. Like this build mail in rebates played a part getting it in under $500 and like this build that doesn't include software (Ubuntu linux is free, super easy to install and really works great) of KVM (keyboard Video[monitor] or Mouse) as I had them all. Came out to $458 and change

The Next-Gen Crusher

About
This is probably the best bang-for-your-buck build in this entire page. It renders any gaming console obsolete through superior performance, as the GPU is measured to be approximately 2x the power of the console-equivalent 260X. Considering that both next-gen consoles have significantly less processing power than this build (especially when you look at real-world gaming performance), this PC will have you absolutely set for the duration of the generation (if you're willing to drop your settings to what the consoles are locked at, which is usually around 900p, ~45FPS, and "Low-Medium"). This build in particular is suitable for running most modern games at 1080p/60fps/medium-high settings. It provides for PC versatility, as well. Do you want to play at 144fps on a 144Hz monitor for your First-person shooters? Perfect. Lower your settings and your framerate shoots up. Do you care less about the framerate than the extreme-quality visuals? Wonderful. Crank those dials up and witness the glory. Do you want to stream your gaming online? Mod your favorite game to death? Make videos for Youtube (or Vessal...)? Create high-res, high quality original content based on your favorite dragon movies? Books? Music? Homework? (yeah, parents.. we know you read this!) This PC will do it in style, and for many years to come.

This build originally targeted pretty strictly around $400, but it's been adjusted various times to include slightly more expensive parts deemed important.

If you have a maximum budget of $400, contact us here for a part list to fit your budget.

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler *Thermaltake CL-P0503 18.6 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler $5.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage *Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.98 @ NCIX US
Video Card *XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card $159.99 @ Newegg
Mail-in rebates -$65.00
Total $421.86
About time I rebuilt mine. The components are long past the point of being considered "legacy." :biggrin:

I almost splurged on an AMD Bulldozer build last year.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

The Next-Gen Crusher

About

Type Item Price
Mail-in rebates -$65.00
Total $421.86
Thanks a bunch. This may be a good going back to school project. Right now we're neck deep in planning a coming of age trip. Now that I've picked the location, gotten permits, and about to buy airplane tickets, he gets to plan the rest. We're going to go backpacking in the Sierra's and doing an off trail scramble up a mtn. We're doing one a little over 12k. There are 14'ers around, but 12 is plenty a good climb when you live at an elevation of 600' or so :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.