Elephant tramples poacher who was after his tusks

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
http://pix11.com/2015/04/17/hunter-trampled-to-death-by-elephant-he-was-going-to-kill-for-ivory/

“Feeling he was quite close to the elephant, Ian and his tracker Robert continued to follow the tracks in hopes of getting a look at the ivory as the client, stayed with the game scout to rest. Robert indicated the bull was in musk [sic]. They eventually caught up to the bull, spotting him at about 50-100 meters. The bull instantly turned and began a full charge. Ian and Robert began shouting in order to stop the charge. At very close range, Ian was able to get off one shot before the bull killed him.”
Big Al approves this message.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Elephants are magnificent creatures. That people would kill them to make decorative trinkets from there teeth is abhorrent. Would love to see more trampling of ivory traders.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
to clarify, he wasn't a poacher he was a "legal" elephant hunter. In this particular region of Zimbabwe Elephants have been deemed to be over populated and as such the Zimbabwe Government sells limited amounts of licenses to cull a few elephants a year. This guy was a hunting guide that essentially takes the ridiculously wealthy out to kill big game.

All that said, I think the Government of Zimbabwe is economically motivated to fudge the numbers making it seem OK to kill a few animals a year and the whole thing feels really, really shady to me. I feel no sympathy for this guy but technically he was not a poacher just a jerk who in my opinion was working in collusion with a corrupt Government.

and I'll add I wish his client had been trampled as well. Couple wealthy d-bags get smeared across the ground by Bull Elephants and the desire for these idiots to kill these amazingly smart might wane

Last edited:

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
to clarify, he wasn't a poacher he was a "legal" elephant hunter. In this particular region of Zimbabwe Elephants have been deemed to be over populated and as such the Zimbabwe Government sells limited amounts of licenses to cull a few elephants a year. This guy was a hunting guide that essentially takes the ridiculously wealthy out to kill big game.

All that said, I think the Government of Zimbabwe is economically motivated to fudge the numbers making it seem OK to kill a few animals a year and the whole thing feels really, really shady to me. I feel no sympathy for this guy but technically he was not a poacher just a jerk who in my opinion was working in collusion with a corrupt Government.

Thank you, I was about to post the same thing. While I don't agree with killing elephants, he was doing his job legally, not poaching.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I fail to see the difference between a poacher and a "legal hunter" if they are both depleting an endangered species for profit.

I guess it all depends on whether or not you actually believe Zimbabwe's claim about their elephant population. I don't.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I fail to see the difference between a poacher and a "legal hunter" if they are both depleting an endangered species for profit.

I guess it all depends on whether or not you actually believe Zimbabwe's claim about their elephant population. I don't.
I'm not commenting on the accuracy of whether the elephant population in Zimbabwe is greater than ''normal''.
However if the population of any species of animal isn't culled on a regular basis, whether that's accomplished by natural means or controlled hunting, that population tends to expand to undesirable numbers. This becomes more than obvious when you look at the over-populations of deer, etc., in areas like state parks.
In Alabama, the State issues temporary permits to bow hunters to hunt and kill deer in state parks for the sole purpose of culling the herds and thus reducing the hardship that overpopulation places on the rest of the herd. Sometimes there just aren't enough natural resources to support an over abundance of certain animal species.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm not commenting on the accuracy of whether the elephant population in Zimbabwe is greater than ''normal''.
However if the population of any species of animal isn't culled on a regular basis, whether that's accomplished by natural means or controlled hunting, that population tends to expand to undesirable numbers. This becomes more than obvious when you look at the over-populations of deer, etc., in areas like state parks.
In Alabama, the State issues temporary permits to bow hunters to hunt and kill deer in state parks for the sole purpose of culling the herds and thus reducing the hardship that overpopulation places on the rest of the herd. Sometimes there just aren't enough natural resources to support an over abundance of certain animal species.

Perhaps the problem is not too many deer....or too many elephants.

Perhaps the problem is too many humans.

Maybe some of them should be culled "on a regular basis"....in order to leave more natural resources for the deer and the elephants....

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Perhaps the problem is not too many deer....or too many elephants.

Perhaps the problem is too many humans.

Maybe some of them should be culled "on a regular basis"....in order to leave more natural resources for the deer and the elephants....
The elephant in the linked article evidently agreed with you, and decided to do something about it! :biggrin:

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Except that there's a world of difference between the population of elephants and deer. There have been concerns about the dwindling population of elephants for decades, not so with deer. I understand the culling of the herd concept, but it seems rather stupid to cull the herd of an endangered species.

Maybe I'm missing something?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.