De Facto A-Day Game Thread...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Re: Am I missing the A-Day Game Thread?

Not a very good outing for the offense. In today's day and age you can't count on defense to win you games, so you've got to have an explosive offense. Coker looks to be serviceable but he looks prone to turnovers and missing open guys. The backups look pedestrian. No confidence there.

On the plus side having Drake, Foster and Stewart will be playmakers and the defense looks better. It's just the spring game but I see a team that needs to improve drastically if they want to compete for championships.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Not a very good outing for the offense. In today's day and age you can't count on defense to win you games, so you've got to have an explosive offense. Coker looks to be serviceable but he looks prone to turnovers and missing open guys. The backups look pedestrian. No confidence there.

On the plus side having Drake, Foster and Stewart will be playmakers and the defense looks better. It's just the spring game but I see a team that needs to improve drastically if they want to compete for championships.
Completely agree. We have to be able to score 40+ points every game if we want to compete for conference and national championships. No matter how good the defense plays, they will give up a lot of points to a spread/HUNH team if that QB is playing his A game. Just still not seeing a lot of QB development at this point. I don't think the sky if falling but I think to any astute observer it is very clear we are not where we should be or need to be at the QB position - at this point in time. Hopefully things look better in the fall..

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Just based on what I saw today, Coker, Cornwell, Morris, Bateman and then Barnett. Pretty much what I expected.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I don't think OJ Howard had a single catch this game. It's been awhile since I've seen a player with that much physical ability and talent be such a non-factor. Thought he would thrive with CLK here..

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I don't think OJ Howard had a single catch this game. It's been awhile since I've seen a player with that much physical ability and talent be such a non-factor. Thought he would thrive with CLK here..
The kid from Georgia on the other hand did quite well.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

Coker looks like the man, or at least the best of Bama's QB's. I would say Morris may end up being the backup. D. Jackson looks good run blocking, but speed rush is a problem. Bama looks good overall. Don't know if the Qb is good enough to win it all. But it is early. Lots of talent on the field though.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al

Kenyan was getting frustrated being called down on several plays that he would have broke for big runs. One play he was blowing by the defense and barely got tagged on the hand. He was not happy at all.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Kenyan was getting frustrated being called down on several plays that he would have broke for big runs. One play he was blowing by the defense and barely got tagged on the hand. He was not happy at all.
True, but better safe than sorry

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I wouldn't read too much into anything today. I remember this time last year thinking what a hot mess this offense was and that we had a dominant type of defense. I turned out to be wrong on both accounts. Between the summer conditioning program and fall camp, a lot can change with this squad before the first game.

And remember that this spring was about giving a lot of people, especially the QB's, a lot of looks in different circumstances. Things will be more solidified a few days into fall camp. CNS said Thursday the scrimmage was about giving players a chance to compete without revealing too much. RTR

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

QB:
- Jacob Coker 14-28, 183 yards, 1 INT, 1 TD
-- Alec Morris 7-11, 60 yards
-- David Cornwell 12-24, 110 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
-- Cooper Bateman 7-11, 48 yards, 1 INT
-- Blake Barnett 6-9, 28 yards, 2 INTs
---- We have to keep that in mind that the rules are little different.. so I'm not going to base the stats on their performance, but I actually thought Coker and Cornwell did decent job today. Barnett played like a freshman, and I expect him to be get lot better next year.
WR- Stewart, Foster and Black will do lot of damages this fall along with OJ Howard.
RB_ I thought Drake could've killed the defense if it had not for the black contact jersey...

Defense was being defense as usual... but I liked how the CBs played for most part.... we should be okay.

My only concern is the depth behind Drake and Henry.... I sure hope FLowers, Clark, Harris can step in....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I agree!!!!!!! The QB performance don't mean squat.. but I do expect Cornwell and Coker to battle it out in the fall....

I wouldn't read too much into anything today. I remember this time last year thinking what a hot mess this offense was and that we had a dominant type of defense. I turned out to be wrong on both accounts. Between the summer conditioning program and fall camp, a lot can change with this squad before the first game.

And remember that this spring was about giving a lot of people, especially the QB's, a lot of looks in different circumstances. Things will be more solidified a few days into fall camp. CNS said Thursday the scrimmage was about giving players a chance to compete without revealing too much. RTR

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

looks like Coker is the guy right now. things can change, but he is the guy right now.

Blake Barnett looks tiny. He needs to eat steak tonight and hit the gym tomorrow.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

looks like Coker is the guy right now. things can change, but he is the guy right now.

Blake Barnett looks tiny. He needs to eat steak tonight and hit the gym tomorrow.
Agree about Barnett, but it was the first time I've really paid close attention to Cornwell. Boy, if I wanted someone that looked the part of a QB, physically, it would be him.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.