De Facto A-Day Game Thread...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
My takeaways from the game.

QB - Coker looked pretty good at times, and I think he is coming along well enough to be our starter this fall. After him, there was no one that looked good (A-Day always kills our QB's), and unless Cornwell makes a leap forward he should settle in at #2.

RB - Drake looked ready to go. He and Henry (barring injuries) are going to be a deadly combo.

WR - I think we're going to be really good here. Stewart/Black/Foster is a great trio. We have good depth, we have young guys coming in, and we'll see more guys get the ball I think. I am excited about our wideouts.

OL - Until we see them against a different defensive line, I don't know what to say. I think they can be better than last year, but to me it's still a question mark.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Re: Am I missing the A-Day Game Thread?

I'm not sure why we put so much emphasis on A-Day to me scrimmages are more about fanfare than anything. We will be fine.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I was there yesterday. Here are my impressions:

QB -- It's either Coker or Cornwell starting. Both are inconsistent, but it seemed to me that Coker takes care of the ball better. Barnett is the future, but not the 2015 guy. He needs to fill out physically, and stop making poor throwing decisions, i.e., freshman mistakes. He'll be the man one day, just not this year.

RB -- talented at the top, but thin, thin, thin. Due to the way Kiffin uses him, it's kind of hard to call Drake a true RB. Behind Henry, you then have....two freshmen, one of whom split time at DB this spring. We really need Damien Harris to live up to hype. True, they're talking about Scarborough being ready in September. I hope so, but will believe it when I see it. I've never seen anybody come back from a torn ACL to their former selves in less than a year.

OL -- we'll be fine. Nobody's going to forget the 2012 line, but we'll be good. They've settled on the best five, and they're getting lots of reps together. Behind them, we actually have some depth everywhere except LT. Even there, we can fill in for a short time.

WR -- similar to RB. Talented at the top, but thin behind that. Foster is looking to have a breakout season, and appears to have earned the trust of the QBs to be where he's supposed to be, rather than free-lancing. Stewart is looking good as well. But behind that, it's a problem, exacerbated by the need for 5 or 6 to rotate in and out. As others have said, and similar to Harris at RB, we really need Ridley to live up to billing.

TE-- as others have posted, it's not a position of emphasis in Kiffin's offense. Still, I'd love to know what's limiting Howard. Saban has repeatedly hinted at something, but hasn't said what. He says only that one great play (referring to the 2013 catch-and-run against LSU) doesn't make a reliable player. But that conflicts with Kiffin's penchant for getting the ball to playmakers. I don't know what the issue is. Unless and until it gets cleared up, though, TE is a blocking position, not a playmaking one.

DL -- by reputation, excellent. Haven't actually seen it, though, due to injuries to Robinson and Hand, and to limited stunting in the A-Day game.

LB -- excellent against the run. Because TE isn't currently a position of emphasis in the passing game, and they didn't send Foster or Stewart across the middle (presumably to minimize potential of injury), I don't know how they are against the pass.

DB -- I think we'll be better than last year, though that doesn't set the bar very high. Lots of talent, some time in system, not a lot of game experience. But also a chip on the shoulder. We'll find out for sure soon enough. I expect a big dose of long passes from the opponents until we prove we can stop it. It's up to us to do that. We'll see.

Punter -- Scott didn't seem to have the greatest day making contact. A couple of low kicks that, while long, would have been highly returnable. An ugly low end-over-end punt rolled probably 30 yards and looked good only in the stats. Still, his mis-hits go 40+ yards. I think he may be the first punter to go pro early.

Placekicker -- I'm concerned about Griffith's durability. While any stress fracture might heal fine, the vulnerability to spinal stress fractures in a 20-year-old just isn't easily fixed. I know everything that can be done is being done. But whether he can make it through a season pain-free is a major question. A couple of backups look good, but there's a reason they're backups despite the starter's physical vulnerabilities.

Bottom line: we have the talent to contend for the national championship. Whether we're in the mix in November will depend on QBs taking care of the ball, and lack of injury to starters at RB, WR, P and PK.

Last edited:

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

To be honest you can't take anything from A day. Saying Coker is ahead when he played with the 1s and the others didn't doesn't make sense. don't over analyze this practice put on for the fans. Haha

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

One other thing about the qbs. It was unfair to them that the defense knew that every down was a passing down.

The DL could pin their ears back.

The LB and DBs didn't have to respect the play action.

It made it harder for the recievers and qbs IMO.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

To be honest you can't take anything from A day. Saying Coker is ahead when he played with the 1s and the others didn't doesn't make sense. don't over analyze this practice put on for the fans. Haha
Do what? Lol I bet Saban doesn't say that

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

QB is harder to judge than other positions. Lesser quality OL and the liberal rotation on the 2nd team offense probably hurt the other guy's performance. I think Coker will end up winning the job with the other guys positioning themselves for backup. This is just due to the preference for experience over upside during the Saban era.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I'm not sure why we put so much emphasis on A-Day to me scrimmages are more about fanfare than anything. We will be fine.
Totally agree. Don't put too much stock in what happens in spring scrimmages. There will be a different attitude toward them come the fall camp. The teams works on individual improvement in the spring and does some experimentation you won't likely see in August.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

One other thing about the qbs. It was unfair to them that the defense knew that every down was a passing down.

The DL could pin their ears back.

The LB and DBs didn't have to respect the play action.

It made it harder for the recievers and qbs IMO.
When asked about that Friday, Saban countered with the defense being basic (not being able to blitz, only using three coverages, etc.). Still seems easier for the defense to face a basic offense than for the offense to face a basic defense.

Do what? Lol I bet Saban doesn't say that

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

RB -- talented at the top, but thin, thin, thin. Due to the way Kiffin uses him, it's kind of hard to call Drake a true RB. Behind Henry, you then have....two freshmen, one of whom split time at DB this spring. We really need Damien Harris to live up to hype. True, they're talking about Scarborough being ready in September. I hope so, but will believe it when I see it. I've never seen anybody come back from a torn ACL to their former selves in less than a year.
I think we'll be fine after this summer. Drake is a RB/WR type... Flowers were hurt all spring, so Flower/harris should be ready to go in the fall. BO Scarbough should be able to return in September. I expect him to practice with the team in non contact jersey for a month.

WR -- similar to RB. Talented at the top, but thin behind that. Foster is looking to have a breakout season, and appears to have earned the trust of the QBs to be where he's supposed to be, rather than free-lancing. Stewart is looking good as well. But behind that, it's a problem, exacerbated by the need for 5 or 6 to rotate in and out. As others have said, and similar to Harris at RB, we really need Ridley to live up to billing.
I would say We do have quality WRs that's capable of stepping in when someone get hurt. Like Scarbough, I would expect Sims to return to the team in September/October. Ridley has a chance to get playing time this fall.

TE-- as others have posted, it's not a position of emphasis in Kiffin's offense. Still, I'd love to know what's limiting Howard. Saban has repeatedly hinted at something, but hasn't said what. He says only that one great play (referring to the 2013 catch-and-run against LSU) doesn't make a reliable player. But that conflicts with Kiffin's penchant for getting the ball to playmakers. I don't know what the issue is. Unless and until it gets cleared up, though, TE is a blocking position, not a playmaking one.
Howard wasn't playing to the ball last year. he wasn't jumping and grabbing the ball. He've had to learn his lessons the hard way. I think He'll get some catches this fall. he just need to get better at blocking... I think He'll be in top 4 or 5 in catching balls...

LB -- excellent against the run. Because TE isn't currently a position of emphasis in the passing game, and they didn't send Foster or Stewart across the middle (presumably to minimize potential of injury), I don't know how they are against the pass.
We should see LBs improving on that. I wish we could see LBs filling up the gap when QBs are running or whatever. I would love to see how we handle middle of the field as well.

DB -- I think we'll be better than last year, though that doesn't set the bar very high. Lots of talent, some time in system, not a lot of game experience. But also a chip on the shoulder. We'll find out for sure soon enough. I expect a big dose of long passes from the opponents until we prove we can stop it. It's up to us to do that. We'll see.
I agree. I think by end of the season, we'll be real good.

Punter -- Scott didn't seem to have the greatest day making contact. A couple of low kicks that, while long, would have been highly returnable. An ugly low end-over-end punt rolled probably 30 yards and looked good only in the stats. Still, his mis-hits go 40+ yards. I think he may be the first punter to go pro early.
getting drafted as well :) I think he had a rough day... I honestly think he kick ball well under pressure... If there is no pressure, he won't kick well. Am I wrong?

Placekicker -- I'm concerned about Griffith's durability. While any stress fracture might heal fine, the vulnerability to spinal stress fractures in a 20-year-old just isn't easily fixed. I know everything that can be done is being done. But whether he can make it through a season pain-free is a major question. A couple of backups look good, but there's a reason they're backups despite the starter's physical vulnerabilities.
I agree. his kicking form looked good and he seems to be back to his old self, but we'll see how it goes this fall. He needs to have a great season this year to redeem himself.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.