THE osu spring game attendance...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Just announced at 99,000 plus.
Not good to hear, Alabama followed their last title by letting Auburn beat them in spring game attendance, a weird way to celebrate. I hope this is the ebb in A-Day enthusiasm, not even a thread on the forum (for a while from what I can tell) was pretty sad as well.

This is the greatest time for Alabama football in some fan's lives, and really it might be the case for most. They need to make the most of it. Some complain about stuff getting more expensive, but free parking and free admission isn't enough of a draw...

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Ohio St fans are on a high right now, good for them. It has nothing to do with us any more than how many the barn claims show up for their practice. With better weather we have better crowds, it is that simple. Many who go bring their little ones and are not inclined to do so in bad conditions.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Ohio St fans are on a high right now, good for them. It has nothing to do with us any more than how many the barn claims show up for their practice. With better weather we have better crowds, it is that simple. Many who go bring their little ones and are not inclined to do so in bad conditions.
the terrible weather kept me in Atlanta

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not really though, A-Day attendance has been slipping, it's been getting worse. I think it was two years ago, the stadium was half empty by the second half and it was sunny. I guess the problem then was it was too sunny...

The issue is Alabama fans are becoming more apathetic and I think really saw that leading up to the third championship of the Saban era. I mean, empty seats during the Auburn game? Really? You also started to hear more from Saban on the issue, and fans got better about not leaving way too early, but as I mentioned earlier, a clear day and a national championship wasn't even enough for Alabama fans to pack the stadium for A-Day. Much like the team, Alabama fans can't let apathy set in.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I would have gone if the weather wasn't an issue. It would have been my wife and our 2 kids (2 and 3 years old) and being in a downpour with them wouldn't have been good.

We will go to A-Day for the foreseeable future if weather permits.

I would love for Bama to get to 100k next year. If the University and Saban make a push for it, it could happen.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
That is impressive, but I went to A-day in Saban's first year, and the fire marshal was the only thing stopping Alabama from reaching well over a 100k. I don't think there will ever be a fan base as hungry as we were that year.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Not really though, A-Day attendance has been slipping, it's been getting worse. I think it was two years ago, the stadium was half empty by the second half and it was sunny. I guess the problem then was it was too sunny...

The issue is Alabama fans are becoming more apathetic and I think really saw that leading up to the third championship of the Saban era. I mean, empty seats during the Auburn game? Really? You also started to hear more from Saban on the issue, and fans got better about not leaving way too early, but as I mentioned earlier, a clear day and a national championship wasn't even enough for Alabama fans to pack the stadium for A-Day. Much like the team, Alabama fans can't let apathy set in.
The weather likely kept another 30,000 away. I'm not sure how anyone can say otherwise.

That is impressive, but I went to A-day in Saban's first year, and the fire marshal was the only thing stopping Alabama from reaching well over a 100k. I don't think there will ever be a fan base as hungry as we were that year.
Exactly. I had to work yesterday. If I didn't have to I would have been there.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The weather likely kept another 30,000 away. I'm not sure how anyone can say otherwise.
Ok, and that puts it at what, 80? If it was going to be a packed house otherwise, there still would have been more people. There's no question as to waning enthusiasm.

My main issue with this from fans is A: A lot complain about prices, even parking for A-Day is free, so it's one chance to get your entire in family for free, and B: It does demonstrate a growing apathy that we've seen.

This isn't isolated, it's been going on for a few years now. Empty seats for Auburn game, first non-sellout in a very long time, stadium emptying out in the third quarter, and yeah, less people at A-Day. The thing is there hasn't been a real drop off with the team and this started during a championship run. It's hard not to be apathetic, it's hard for the team not to be apathetic after a few title runs, but we as fans hope the team keeps playing at a high level but we as fans need to keep it up to.

I'm not saying burn people at the stake for not going, but how many people live in the Birmingham area? How many within a short drive could have easily made it there on time after it became evidence weather wasn't going to be bad? Apathy is the issue, A-Day attendance has been shrinking.

Last edited:

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia

The issue is Alabama fans are becoming more apathetic and I think really saw that leading up to the third championship of the Saban era. I mean, empty seats during the Auburn game? Really? You also started to hear more from Saban on the issue, and fans got better about not leaving way too early, but as I mentioned earlier, a clear day and a national championship wasn't even enough for Alabama fans to pack the stadium for A-Day. Much like the team, Alabama fans can't let apathy set in.[/COLOR]

Somehow placing the words "Alabama fans" and "apathy" in the same sentence seems a little strange.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Ok, and that puts it at what, 80? If it was going to be a packed house otherwise, there still would have been more people. There's no question as to waning enthusiasm.

My main issue with this from fans is A: A lot complain about prices, even parking for A-Day is free, so it's one chance to get your entire in family for free, and B: It does demonstrate a growing apathy that we've seen.

This isn't isolated, it's been going on for a few years now. Empty seats for Auburn game, first non-sellout in a very long time, stadium emptying out in the third quarter, and yeah, less people at A-Day. The thing is there hasn't been a real drop off with the team and this started during a championship run. It's hard not to be apathetic, it's hard for the team not to be apathetic after a few title runs, but we as fans hope the team keeps playing at a high level but we as fans need to keep it up to.

I'm not saying burn people at the stake for not going, but how many people live in the Birmingham area? How many within a short drive could have easily made it there on time after it became evidence weather wasn't going to be bad? Apathy is the issue, A-Day attendance has been shrinking.

yeah, Alabama may just shut down the football program since only 50k showed up to a practice.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Somehow placing the words "Alabama fans" and "apathy" in the same sentence seems a little strange.
I've said it plenty of times before, Alabama has some of the best fans in the country. But, they're not always the best, and by the same token Alabama has one of the best teams in the country, but it's not always the best. It's fair to wonder if apathy is an issue with the team (I think we've heard coach discuss it), and it's also fair to wonder about apathy with the fans. It is, of course relative. I don't see how you can call it anything but apathy to see fans leaving early in the third quarter of an actual football game though.

yeah, Alabama may just shut down the football program since only 50k showed up to a practice.
This is the problem. We've been having this A-Day attendance debate for a few years now, as attendance wanes and the excuses are varied. For instance, Auburn had better attendance supposedly because they had a new coach. Etc... I posted pictures from inside the stadium before, showing how bad it actually got. I wish this was just a weather thing, I really do.

But, Nick Saban had made it clear how important A-Day is to recruiting. He specifically cited it as helping him land a #1 recruiting class. I used the word apathy and what you just said sounds apathetic. Bla, just practice, who cares right? Well, Nick cares, he thinks it matters to the program, recruits care, I've heard them cite A-Day attendance as a reason for committing. It does matter!

So, guess what? Ohio State recruits are going to be talking about their spring game attendance, and I hope Alabama recruits don't talk about A-Day attendance, it's no longer a strong point.

This is all something that Alabama fans are perfectly capable of resolving. We just have to want to, calling it practice, saying it's meaningless... I've heard all the excuses before, that sure as heck won't get the record back for Alabama. Go ask Ohio State fans how they feel about their spring game, I'm guessing you'll get more enthusiasm from them right now.

Edit: Since I'm already well into my rant, I might as well add this. A lot of Alabama fans seem completely uninformed on the A-Day game, which shows amongst other things they haven't even been there. I saw someone, on a sparsely populated A-Day topic on another popular Alabama board claim it costs $40 to park for A-Day (without anyone calling him out). It doesn't! It's free! You just have to sign up online... This is a great chance for so many people, take your church group, Boy Scout troop, what ever, load up the bus or van for next year, go sign up for free parking, if you're worried about food stop by the Little Cesar's in the area and get some cheap... but c'mon, no reason for the Birmingham area in particular to stay away.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
how many spring practices at any school had 90k+ before 2007? we brought this on ourselves. we started this and now people like Krazy think fans are apathetic if we all don't show up and fill the stadium.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.