Question: Kiffin's final year with the Tide?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Dont forget Saban may give Kiffin lot of more power with play calling... He did that with Coach Mac. Nuss never had that. Kiffin showed us that he can run up points real fast. He just need to learn to use TE and running game little more early int he game.
Judging from past stops, it's not a case of him "learning to use the TE," it's a case of Alabama not having enough of a threat at that position.

O.J. Howard needs to step up and be consistent, week-to-week. I thought Flournoy-Smith looked much better than Howard Saturday.

Jess,

Is he that ready to be back on the west coast? Would he leave for an nfl oc job, or stay and wait on a high profile gig?
I don't think he leaves for anything less than the HC of a Power 5 team -- a good one, at that. And I believe he'll be offered one sooner rather than later.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The premise of this thread is based on Kiffin having another very good year at Bama...and that seems very likely.

However, for conversation's sake...imagine if we struggle at qb this season, rotating several different candidates to be the man, none of which ever really catch on...and we find ourselves going into November still looking for a starter...

I think that situation is about the only way we will see Kiffin coaching at Bama longer than one more year. My preference is he does so well at Bama again this year that it makes it nearly impossible for him to stay any longer.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Lot of people are expecting him to have a big season in the fall... If Howard steps up, This should make things little easier for the WRs... I thought Flournoy-Smith looked good too and i was wondering about that...

Judging from past stops, it's not a case of him "learning to use the TE," it's a case of Alabama not having enough of a threat at that position.

O.J. Howard needs to step up and be consistent, week-to-week. I thought Flournoy-Smith looked much better than Howard Saturday.

I don't think he leaves for anything less than the HC of a Power 5 team -- a good one, at that. And I believe he'll be offered one sooner rather than later.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
If Lane has a productive year, and maintains his composure throughout the year, he is gone. Everyone knows he can coach, the maturity was his question mark. 2 years under CNS was/is exactly what CLK needed to get his career back on track . Again, he gone!

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If Lane has a productive year, and maintains his composure throughout the year, he is gone. Everyone knows he can coach, the maturity was his question mark. 2 years under CNS was/is exactly what CLK needed to get his career back on track . Again, he gone!
I suspect you're right, brother...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Keep in mind that he as failed at a couple of big time gigs already. Failure is part of success and my take is that he is learning to succeed as a head coach from one of the most successful in the business. I expect he will stay longer than most think to absorb as much knowledge as possible. I mean, the dude is not hurting for money by any stretch of the imagination and he is probably pretty comfortable in his role at UA. I think he'll be around at least 2 more years until some time has passed enough that is reputation is completely in bling again and a big time program comes a calling.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
It depends on what he wants. He could run a nfl type program in college at Bama, make millions, become a legend, and have more job security as the OC than a HC job. If he wants to be a HC then we all know he will get that opportunity.

I never thought I would say this about Kiffin, but I am glad he is a part of the Bama family.

RTR

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Keep in mind that he as failed at a couple of big time gigs already. Failure is part of success and my take is that he is learning to succeed as a head coach from one of the most successful in the business. I expect he will stay longer than most think to absorb as much knowledge as possible. I mean, the dude is not hurting for money by any stretch of the imagination and he is probably pretty comfortable in his role at UA. I think he'll be around at least 2 more years until some time has passed enough that is reputation is completely in bling again and a big time program comes a calling.
I think people consider him a failure at USC due to their higher than normal expectations, but people dont factor their probation in as much as they probably should. He did win the division in his second year while costing Orgeon a rematch with LSU. Tennessee is very hard to tell what he wouldve done with them, but he was the closest thing that they have had to beating us these last 8 years. I think Lane's biggest failure was the Raiders. but two things about that: 1) its extremely tough to win with Oakland and 2) Al Davis. Al Davis was a great GM, but him and Jerry Jones are two big examples of being too involved with the field from the suite. lane looks like a genius now that he said that he didnt want Russell, but Al overruled him on that decision.

As for him staying. I really cant tell, but I think he stays unless some big HC or big NFL OC job comes calling.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Boy this is a Great off Season question.

First, I do think the family situtation will be the main factor in any decision.

As far as my wish, I hope he stays, like Kirby has, Alabama will take care of him on the money.

CNS & him seem to be developing the same kind of relationship he had with Coach Mac, so if Kiffin goes to Coach with what he wants Im sure CNS will help him get it. Kiffin was really cocky, but he is very smart & knows the ways Coach has helped him already, if he thinks he needs more for the next step then he is smart enough to stay & get it.

My best guess is that he lands a very high profile OC position in the NFL in 2017. Teams will be in a bidding war for him.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
O.k....here's my prediction. He'll be our next head coach.
And he'll be in T-Town for a long time.
And he'll do quite well.
I think that's why Saban hired him.
He's just like him, from a personality standpoint.
They hate the media, and they're both arrogant as they can be, but they're both really darn good football coaches.
It's just my opinion so don't have a heart attack, but yeah, that's my opinion. And don't think Saban won't have a say so in the hiring of our next head coach.
sip

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
O.k....here's my prediction. He'll be our next head coach.
And he'll be in T-Town for a long time.
And he'll do quite well.
I think that's why Saban hired him.
He's just like him, from a personality standpoint.
They hate the media, and they're both arrogant as they can be, but they're both really darn good football coaches.
It's just my opinion so don't have a heart attack, but yeah, that's my opinion. And don't think Saban won't have a say so in the hiring of our next head coach.
sip
I've been thinking this as well lately.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I love having Kiffin! I think the real question is who will leave first, Kiffin or Smart? Even tho coach Smart has put in the time, I think Sip is on to something and has a point, or at least can see that happening. If both stay, that is gonna be one heck of a inside battle to watch.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.