Question: Kiffin's final year with the Tide?

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It seems most are under the impression Lane Kiffin is gonna bounce out at the conclusion of the season, I'm an optimist and believe he'll stick around another season after 2015. If for any reason, just to stick it to USC real good. What's the general opinion from you guys? I'll hang up and take your answer off air, TFers.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
It seems most are under the impression Lane Kiffin is gonna bounce out at the conclusion of the season, I'm an optimist and believe he'll stick around another season after 2015. If for any reason, just to stick it to USC real good. What's the general opinion from you guys? I'll hang up and take your answer off air, TFers.
I think it's more likely he leaves than stays.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Jess,

Is he that ready to be back on the west coast? Would he leave for an nfl oc job, or stay and wait on a high profile gig?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
He's rehabbed his image and assuming the offense is prolific again this year, he will have reminded folks that he's a bright offensive mind. He may not get a Power 5 gig right out of the gate, but I'd be willing to bet that some mid-majors will come calling.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The fickle nature of this board never ceases to amaze me. First, hiring Kiffin was a disaster according to the vox populi. This was confirmed when we lost to Ole Miss and scraped by Arkansas and lucked out against LSU. Kiffin got no credit at all. Then we explode on Auburn and Mizzou and he's suddenly a great offensive mind. And now folks are trembling with anxiety that he might actually leave after this year.

I don't think it matters one way or the other. Coach Saban has won four national titles with three different offensive coordinators (including the one he got at LSU). He came within two plays of playing for a chance to make it five with four coordinators.

Does it really make that much difference? Nussmeier won one despite some pretty poor play-calling in the aTm game. I'd rate Kiffin ahead of Nuss.

I think he's gone, and I don't really care. Names have come in and out of that door during Saban's entire tenure but the rate of success has pretty much been the same since 2008.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He may very well have to pay his dues at a mid major for a couple of years to improve his stock. Don't know if he would be ready for a return to the PAC 12, but I feel the Cal job and or Wazzou job may have openings next fall. Unfortunately neither would give him much chance of success based on their recent history. Possibly a MWC type program as a stepping stone or maybe he decides he would rather be an OC in the NFL which I think is where he will eventually wind up.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
I suspect if Alabama has another really good year, he'll probably leave. Remember, he's married with small children still on the West coast. That's gotta be really hard. I do think he'll probably get a couple of offers from some decent jobs and would probably prefer a PAC 12 job. Agreed that Washington State would NOT be a good job.

Cal could be a good job. There's GOBS of talent in California and with the right coach, they could be very good.

While I'd love to see him stay after this year, I wouldn't bear him any ill will. The guy has done a really good job (overall) and kept his mouth shut. My biggest fear when he was hired was that he'd run off at the mouth as he was prone to do when he was a HC. Gotta give him props, the man seldom had a lot to say and didn't say or do anything that would embarrass UA or the program.

One poster mentioned people being fickle. Maybe but one thing probably none of us know here is how much veto power Coach Saban retains in the play calling or strategy. We'll probably never know but I'm always curious whether Coach Saban insisted that LK have a conservative game plan in this game or that game. I suspect Coach Saban had WAY more sway than a lot of coaches when it came to that weeks game plan.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree with most of this. Kiffin signed 3 years deal with us. He's headed into his second year with us, and that's not bad at all. If we have a great season, I expect lot of phone calls headed toward Kiffin. he is most likely will end up in NFL as OC... as opposed as HC somewhere. You can tell he changed a lot over the past year, and this year will be very interesting. If can transform another QB into another great one this year, He's gone. I think we don't need to be worrying about him leaving or not, because we all knew what the deal was when we signed him. Lot of us thought he was 1 and done... but he came back, and that shows us he does care. We'll be fine.

I suspect if Alabama has another really good year, he'll probably leave. Remember, he's married with small children still on the West coast. That's gotta be really hard. I do think he'll probably get a couple of offers from some decent jobs and would probably prefer a PAC 12 job. Agreed that Washington State would NOT be a good job.

Cal could be a good job. There's GOBS of talent in California and with the right coach, they could be very good.

While I'd love to see him stay after this year, I wouldn't bear him any ill will. The guy has done a really good job (overall) and kept his mouth shut. My biggest fear when he was hired was that he'd run off at the mouth as he was prone to do when he was a HC. Gotta give him props, the man seldom had a lot to say and didn't say or do anything that would embarrass UA or the program.

One poster mentioned people being fickle. Maybe but one thing probably none of us know here is how much veto power Coach Saban retains in the play calling or strategy. We'll probably never know but I'm always curious whether Coach Saban insisted that LK have a conservative game plan in this game or that game. I suspect Coach Saban had WAY more sway than a lot of coaches when it came to that weeks game plan.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Dont forget Saban may give Kiffin lot of more power with play calling... He did that with Coach Mac. Nuss never had that. Kiffin showed us that he can run up points real fast. He just need to learn to use TE and running game little more early int he game.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I think he'll wait for the right job, but I don't know what he would consider the "right job". Where does he want to be? NFL HC? Elite college? I think his next move needs to set him up for his ultimate goal, and if wants the NFL, I don't think a mid-major would help him any more than staying here would.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I'm thinking OC at top ten football team > head coach at a smaller conference member. Maybe that will keep him the entirety of the contract.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
OC at top ten football ? We're in top ten football team. If he move to another OC in college football, thats a lateral move. Saban don't typically support that. I hear lot of people talking about Kiffin at a mid-level conference, and I don't see that one happening.... I think He'll land somewhere with big 5 conference as HC or OC In NFL. One thing we may want to think about is Kiffin returning for third year.. (He has three year deal with CNS) and the chance to coach Barnett is out there....
I'm thinking OC at top ten football team > head coach at a smaller conference member. Maybe that will keep him the entirety of the contract.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
OC at top ten football ? We're in top ten football team. If he move to another OC in college football, thats a lateral move. Saban don't typically support that. I hear lot of people talking about Kiffin at a mid-level conference, and I don't see that one happening.... I think He'll land somewhere with big 5 conference as HC or OC In NFL. One thing we may want to think about is Kiffin returning for third year.. (He has three year deal with CNS) and the chance to coach Barnett is out there....
Did you read the post? He says he believes being the OC at a top 10 football team is greater than being a head coach at a smaller conference member, which maybe will keep Kiffin in Tuscaloosa the entirety of his contract.

He doesn't say Alabama isn't a top 10 football team.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
He'd be better off career wise to hang in at Tuscaloosa a few more years. But that doesn't necessarily mean he will. Family influence will be heavy, as others have mentioned. If he's smart he'll stay at the collegiate level another 6-8 years and learn some real people skills. And who better to learn from than CNS?

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm not sure whose being finicky, this is a message board where we come to discuss Alabama Football, nobody in this thread even hinted that any amount of success hinges on who our OC is or will be. However, I will say, I think it was quite obvious that our offense -at times- was more electrifying than ever before, and that was with a guy whom many didn't believe could even compete at the QB postion. I would personally love to see what Lane Kiffin could do with a Blake Barnett or Dillion Cornwell after two or three years of grooming.

The family living in California was a great point to consider, that has to be a pretty stressful situation for him, his wife as well as his kid(s?). I don't know many mid major programs that would be able to pay the amount of money Lane kiffin would command, and to be fair, he has had offers for coaching postions after last season. He has already said no to a lot of people from january-present. I feel like he propable really enjoys the experience he is gaining working alongside Nick Saban, Kirby Smart and all these future nfl stars, and why would he want to cut loose from all that just for a title change? (i.e head coach or nfl OC)

Last edited:

bamalee1

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 6, 2002
decatur ga , usa
If Coach Saban gives more of the offense to Coach Kiffen, I hope his quarterbacks throw more to his recievers than they did the secondary in the A-Day Game

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.