Let's Enjoy It, TideFans! A Plea for a more Positive Attitude!

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
IMO it's taking things for granted, and not appreciating all the things that go in to what got us here. Coach Saban has talked about it many times and got real heat on this board.
I have posted this before...One of my never forget moments was walking down the stadium steps after S. Miss had kicked the tying FG at the end of the game and some "seasoned gentlemen" were saying "The Bear hasn't got it anymore". I thought my God what does it take?!

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
IMO it's taking things for granted, and not appreciating all the things that go in to what got us here. Coach Saban has talked about it many times and got real heat on this board.
I have posted this before...One of my never forget moments was walking down the stadium steps after S. Miss had kicked the tying FG at the end of the game and some "seasoned gentlemen" were saying "The Bear hasn't got it anymore". I thought my God what does it take?!
We are a spoiled bunch of little brats, aren't we? Back during all the down years and the sanctions, I never imagined we would have a run like we've had. There is not a school at any level who doesn't envy our program. Those who say it won't last forever are right, it won't. Let's enjoy it and RTR!

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
My favorite was Gameplan (not sure people remember those) - because they'd give each team an Offensive Power Score and a Defensive Power Score -- to predict the outcome of games....

For example if Alabama's Offensive power score was 83 and LSUs Defense was 59, - Bama would score 24, etc....

So, as a teenager, I spent many an hour "predicting" scores for the first week's games.....something to do in the long summer.
I recall Gameplan magazine...and the formulas...they were pretty thorough in their predictions, not as many photos as Street & Smith, and not the color photos as Athlon, or later Lindy's, but I always loved getting them...usually late May/Early June...you knew football was right around the corner.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice thread Moon. Yea, I remember back in the Franphoney days...listening to the games on the radio by long distance telephone call overseas (before internet streaming). We were a hungry group back then. As frustrating as it has been not finishing perfectly the past couple of years nothing compares to those days of poor leadership. I think the core group of us on this board realize that. Still hate losing to ohio state though.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
When CNS was hired I just wanted the Tide to be relevant again, and boy are they ever! You can't win the national title every year. Injuries, fluke plays, and bad bounces happen. My goal was for Bama to be in the discussion every year as one of the top teams in the country, and for me to sit down in front of the television or in the stadium and know Bama could win any game they played if they played well. That is exactly what we have. It is a golden age of football for the Tide. My dad says its like the 1970's all over again.

I also think we all need to keep things in perspective. I used to be a crazy person during a game, and last fall, Oct. 15th to be exact, my 6 day old baby girl was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder called GA1. It was the scariest thing I have ever dealt with. She is doing well, but can always have complications and even brain damage in some instances because of the disorder. It put things into perspective for me about what is important in this world. I lived and died by Bama football, but not anymore. I watch the games and follow the team, but a win or a loss just isn't important anymore. God showed me what was important in life and how to trust Him more fully. My little girl Charlotte, we call her Charlee, is doing great and developing normally, but we have to constantly watch her health and diet to protect her little brain. That is what is important in this life: friends, family, and faith. Let's all enjoy the season, talk about the team, and cheer them on, but don't let this silly sport be so important to you. Put Bama football in its proper context and you can enjoy it so much more. I'm living proof that even a maniac that broke his chair while watching a game can be reformed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've been around this board for a long time, but I never remember it being more negative than in the last year or so.

It seems that we can't even enjoy when something good is happening for worrying and being pessimistic about how it will all fall apart.

Examples include:

Worrying over a recruit not sticking.
Worrying that CLK (or any other coach) is going to leave.
Worrying that a quarterback is going to transfer.
Worrying about the lack of attendance at A-day.
Worrying about the rising cost of going to a game.

Not to preach, but worrying robs us of a lot of joys in life. Let' just enjoy the great run we are on, because, as history suggests, it will not last forever.

RTR brothers!!! :BigA:
Ok I've thought it over for awhile, and come to the conclusion since none of this is a face to face conversation that most of what is perceived as negativity to some might not be intended or meant to be negative to the people who posted it. While there are some negative bandwagoners that come over from al.com and other boards who vent and try to get a rise out of people, there are some people who are actually try to have a legit conversation. I've read most of the threads you are listing, and most IMO are civil and good conversations. You might see them differently, but again texting is not as good as talking. Now I will say that the Coker vs sims threads last year got extremely negative. Not just against Blake because there were tons against Coker as well. But fwiw I think out of all the ones you listed I think the who's going to be our qb is the only one I semi believe are negative. Especially towards the issue of having a one or done player or having a 3-4 year starter issue. But it's not a majority of people being negative so I don't see a reason to shut it down or label threads about the issue being a negative thread. IMO as long as people control their emotions I think it's ok to talk about those things you listed.

Rtr SNASS and Whisky game can't get here soon enough

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When CNS was hired I just wanted the Tide to be relevant again, and boy are they ever! You can't win the national title every year. Injuries, fluke plays, and bad bounces happen. My goal was for Bama to be in the discussion every year as one of the top teams in the country, and for me to sit down in front of the television or in the stadium and know Bama could win any game they played if they played well. That is exactly what we have. It is a golden age of football for the Tide. My dad says its like the 1970's all over again.

I also think we all need to keep things in perspective. I used to be a crazy person during a game, and last fall, Oct. 15th to be exact, my 6 day old baby girl was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder called GA1. It was the scariest thing I have ever dealt with. She is doing well, but can always have complications and even brain damage in some instances because of the disorder. It put things into perspective for me about what is important in this world. I lived and died by Bama football, but not anymore. I watch the games and follow the team, but a win or a loss just isn't important anymore. God showed me what was important in life and how to trust Him more fully. My little girl Charlotte, we call her Charlee, is doing great and developing normally, but we have to constantly watch her health and diet to protect her little brain. That is what is important in this life: friends, family, and faith. Let's all enjoy the season, talk about the team, and cheer them on, but don't let this silly sport be so important to you. Put Bama football in its proper context and you can enjoy it so much more. I'm living proof that even a maniac that broke his chair while watching a game can be reformed.
I guess if we live long enough we all will have a life changing event. Mine was my daughter and my wife being diagnosed with breast cancer within a year of each other. I proud to say with God's blessing both are doing well. Alabama football is still very important to me but I don't get crazy about it anymore!
I hope and pray your little daughter does well. Roll Tide my friend!

smilinc

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 9, 2006
I remember back in the 1970s when we were winning like we are today. We would win something like 21-7 and people would complain about 'what's wrong with Bama?' Coach Saban mentioned this the other day.... When we are winning like the early 60s and all of the 70s and now this era... I agree we should count our blessings and have fun with it. Look on the bright side...we could be like the Barn, who lie, cheat, steal and whine about everything. RTR for ever!!!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
We are so lucky to have shared the ups and downs of Alabama football. To truly appreciate the good times we had to experience those not-so-good times. I will never forget the night Bama beat Texas in The Rose Bowl, that feeling, the drought was over. We have seen things continue on that high with very few bumps since then and none of us would trade our team, tradition, and pride for any other in the nation.
We care so we stress over things on the field and worry about the athletes. As some pointed out above, it is a game, not life. This is Alabama football. It's all good!

Yeah. Good thread.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.