Let's Enjoy It, TideFans! A Plea for a more Positive Attitude!

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've been around this board for a long time, but I never remember it being more negative than in the last year or so.

It seems that we can't even enjoy when something good is happening for worrying and being pessimistic about how it will all fall apart.

Examples include:

Worrying over a recruit not sticking.
Worrying that CLK (or any other coach) is going to leave.
Worrying that a quarterback is going to transfer.
Worrying about the lack of attendance at A-day.
Worrying about the rising cost of going to a game.

Not to preach, but worrying robs us of a lot of joys in life. Let' just enjoy the great run we are on, because, as history suggests, it will not last forever.

RTR brothers!!! :BigA:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
:cool2: Ain't worried. Ain't reading too much into it at this point. Bama football has been the best in the nation over the last 7 years. We may not win it all every year but I'll take what we have now ANYTIME over the "3 Mike" era.

ROLL TIDE!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We just need to do better job of supporting each other on this board. It's not just about football, but basketball as well. Baseball too. Lot of the time we're worrying about wrong things, and we just need to enjoy football.

I've been around this board for a long time, but I never remember it being more negative than in the last year or so.

It seems that we can't even enjoy when something good is happening for worrying and being pessimistic about how it will all fall apart.

Examples include:

Not to preach, but worrying robs us of a lot of joys in life. Let' just enjoy the great run we are on, because, as history suggests, it will not last forever.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

Examples include:

I agree and thank you for this post.

I love this site but I have also noticed that there seems to be a negative undertone that we just can't seem to shake. Even when a thread starts out very positive or celebratory, someone will complain or find a way to steal the joy. Why can't we be a happy fanbase and enjoy the success of our football program? It's like someone convinced us to believe that being too happy or excited about the Crimson Tide was a bad thing. Might as well let the LSU fans back on here so that we would at least have a common enemy instead of turning on each other.

Bama fans used to have an us against the world mentality. I miss it and am ready for our "crimson-colored prospective" to return. The early and mid 2000s was a dark time for us but we weren't as pessimistic then as we seem to be now. Instead, we were hopeful that we would get out that funk. Well, we made it out of the abyss and life is good for Bama football. We are on a run like in the 70s. Let's just relax and bask in the glory. As alway, Roll Tide!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think the negativity you discuss is more of a "state of sports" than anything. I find the negativity all over in all sports -- for all teams. Social media and technology make things seem 10x better or worse than they are. I almost preferred the days when my information came from Athlon and Street and Smiths....and then I just waited until the first game....

I think the easy access to info -- and easy access to rumor -- and now universal access to technology for all people: smart, or not-so, happy, or not-so, fans and trolls.....makes enjoying college football, etc harder to do. We have quite a few fans on here in the "not so" category -- and I paranoidingly (ha!) believe more trolls than we realize.

And actually, it's not just sports -- have you ever tried to search for information on your favorite show, or music, movie, etc? There are people deployed just to make it miserable for those that are fans.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I was talking to my wife yesterday about those...It was almost like a countdown to see when they showed up at the store...it was exciting...I miss those days...and I still have a bunch of those to look at...good memories.
My favorite was Gameplan (not sure people remember those) - because they'd give each team an Offensive Power Score and a Defensive Power Score -- to predict the outcome of games....

For example if Alabama's Offensive power score was 83 and LSUs Defense was 59, - Bama would score 24, etc....

So, as a teenager, I spent many an hour "predicting" scores for the first week's games.....something to do in the long summer.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I was talking to my wife yesterday about those...It was almost like a countdown to see when they showed up at the store...it was exciting...I miss those days...and I still have a bunch of those to look at...good memories.
Right there with you, wishbone! You have to be a certain age to remember all that. It all seemed a little more exciting then.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think the negativity you discuss is more of a "state of sports" than anything. I find the negativity all over in all sports -- for all teams. Social media and technology make things seem 10x better or worse than they are. I almost preferred the days when my information came from Athlon and Street and Smiths....and then I just waited until the first game....

I think the easy access to info -- and easy access to rumor -- and now universal access to technology for all people: smart, or not-so, happy, or not-so, fans and trolls.....makes enjoying college football, etc harder to do. We have quite a few fans on here in the "not so" category -- and I paranoidingly (ha!) believe more trolls than we realize.

And actually, it's not just sports -- have you ever tried to search for information on your favorite show, or music, movie, etc? There are people deployed just to make it miserable for those that are fans.
Well said Cajun, lots of truth in what you said.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
:cool2: Ain't worried. Ain't reading too much into it at this point. Bama football has been the best in the nation over the last 7 years. We may not win it all every year but I'll take what we have now ANYTIME over the "3 Mike" era.

ROLL TIDE!
I honestly think we've been the BEST in the nation over the past 90 years. 1925 to 2015.

Now I wish we could have subtracted Ears and the Mikes. But the Ears and the Mikes gave us a reason to go after the BEST there is to lead the Tide!

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.

^^This 100%^^

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I have never been less worried over the state of Alabama athletics and especially the football program as I am right now, save for when Coach Paul William "Bear" Bryant was at the helm. I don't consider myself complacent, but I'm not worried and I am enjoying the ride. So don't harsh my mellow, man. ;)

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The internet seems to make 12 year old drama queens out of virtually everyone. I check here daily for relevant headlines but otherwise steer clear for the most part. The truth is that while seemingly everyone will complain about negativity in all aspects of media/sports/entertainment, the old adages remain true: What sells (drives clicks/attracts viewers/listeners) is sex, violence, gossip, and scandal. My suggestion is to simply log off until August and go outside. Your body and mind will be thankful that you did.

Wayne4Bama2

Scout Team
Feb 10, 2001
Dothan,Al,Houston

Examples include:

Well lets remember---We won the West--We won SEC Championship--We won the State Championship--I agree DON'T worry :BigA:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
To me it's just the way we finished the last two years. Plus most of the news this spring has not been of the positive variety and most of the discussion has seemed more negative because of it. I hope and expect that to change through the summer if our guys mind their ways and anticipation for kick off to another great Bama season builds. Roll Tide.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As noted, I think the negativity may be from the last couple of years of not finishing. Not finishing when you are loaded with talent like we are feels like failure, but I think we forget how hard it really is to win a championship.

But I also think we need to remember how sad the years were when we were losing to the Barn for six straight years and how we couldn't beat UT, even if we had them 4th and 18 in the fourth overtime and all we needed was one stop.

Say it slowly and often "these are good times" and always remember CNS > CMS x infinity!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.