Question: Braxton Miller to UA?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think he would instantly be the best QB on our roster if he were to transfer here. My biggest concern would be learning the offense and gelling with the other players. Not sure how the team would react if he were to transfer here and play right away. If it makes the team better I'm all for it..

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
... it might discourage younger players that we go out of our way to get transfers to fill a spot.
I'm not advocating for or against this particular potential move. However, while I understand what you're saying, and while research shows that long-term successful organizations grow their talent internally versus going for the external superstar:

• We'd be getting a transfer, not to fill a spot, but to fill a need that (presumably) existing players weren't able to seize. If the existing QBs were getting it done, we (staff and fans) wouldn't be as likely to entertain his transferring in
  • While it might discourage current QBs, it could also attract potential recruits to know that CNS and staff will bring in other talent around them if their classmates don't pan out (because of course, THEY'RE not going to be the bust)
  • I'd also venture to say that Blake Sims responded positively to Coker's transfer. It depends on what kind of character you have

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not advocating for or against this particular potential move. However, while I understand what you're saying, and while research shows that long-term successful organizations grow their talent internally versus going for the external superstar:

• We'd be getting a transfer, not to fill a spot, but to fill a need that (presumably) existing players weren't able to seize. If the existing QBs were getting it done, we (staff and fans) wouldn't be as likely to entertain his transferring in
  • While it might discourage current QBs, it could also attract potential recruits to know that CNS and staff will bring in other talent around them if their classmates don't pan out (because of course, THEY'RE not going to be the bust)
  • I'd also venture to say that Blake Sims responded positively to Coker's transfer. It depends on what kind of character you have
Maybe you didnt get what I was saying, or writing. Someone was against Braxton coming, and I could see good and bad things about it. The only potential bad thing I see is what you quoted, but I actually think our players for the most part dont feel that way. I want Braxton, but if he comes Im not going to declare I'm Team this or Team that. I want him for a competition aspect where we have the absolute best option available to be our field general going into 2015.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When asked about his comments later in the shower, Paul said there are some folks in Tuscaloosa that believe there's a better than slight chance this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I may get flamed for this but I would rather see us start Cornwell or Barnett and build for the future. This is a re-building year and we may lose a couple of games. To me an outside hired gun damages team moral. Having said this, I will certainly support coach Saban's decision and trust that he will make the right move for the team. RTR!

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
When asked about his comments later in the shower, Paul said there are some folks in Tuscaloosa that believe there's a better than slight chance this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The media got to Paul in the shower? That sounds awkward. Hope that wasn't on video, because ain't nobody want to see that! <blue font>

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I may get flamed for this but I would rather see us start Cornwell or Barnett and build for the future. This is a re-building year and we may lose a couple of games. To me an outside hired gun damages team moral. Having said this, I will certainly support coach Saban's decision and trust that he will make the right move for the team. RTR!
I believe you make a good point. Cornwell could develop during his first year much the same way AJ did, however AJ did have the advantage of Trent and Eddie. Cornwell does seem to have nice touch on his passes and feel for the game.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
No intention of flaming, but why settle for a rebuilding year if we don't have to have one? I want the quarterback who gives us the best chance to win both now and in the future.

I like Coker, but if he were the hands down best chance to win, he would have been named the official starter by now. There has to be some measure of concern on part of the coaching staff. Otherwise we wouldn't even have a true freshman in consideration. Plus, he only has one year invested in us. It's not like he's a 5th year senior who's vested in the program like Sims was.

This defense has the potential to be one of the nastiest we've had. We have the talent, we have the depth everywhere, we have the scheme, we just need the mean-streak and consistency to shut folks down. We have good enough skill playmakers on offense to give us a chance to win, but this is one of the overall weakest points we've had at our skill positions. This year more than most we could use a playmaking quarterback to take the pressure off of Henry, and I don't think that's Coker.

Barnett and Cornwell will have their time, but it should probably still be a year or two away to let them develop physically and mentally.

I will trust that Saban and Kiffin know best. If that means we bring in Miller, then I will be an enthusiastic supporter. If we dont, then I will trust the guys we have.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I nominate you to go tell the seniors and juniors who might declare early that we are just going to pack it in this season so we can build for the future. I hope you've been hitting the cardio.....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Braxton Miller is 100% healthy, transfers here, and wins the job as qb we remember this year goes from the perception of it being "rebuilding but will be in the thick of things" kinda year to a championship or bust year. I really dont care too much for the experience approach on qbs because the last three times we had a first year starter we won 2 ncs and were in the playoffs for the other. the last 5 years we had an incumbent we won 1 natty, had 2 two loss seasons without a SEC titile and a Sugar Bowl loss, a 10-3 non BCS season,and a 7-6 season. So I dont buy into to give it to the young bucks so we have a consistent starter arguement like some, but hey to each their own. And who's to say this is a rebuilding year under Coker. For all we know he improves over the summer and the fall and we are in Atlanta in December. You never know case and point 2008.

As far as the likliehood of braxton coming. From what I've heard and some pics of him being in Bama I have seen from people in T-town there is a decent reason to speculate that he could possibly come. But then again that could all be that he wanted to visit Depriest as well. I think we will know more in a week or two if he actually considering Alabama. IDK and I hope it is true, but Im not going to have a forum rage if he doesnt come. RTR SNASS

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.