Question: Braxton Miller to UA?

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I nominate you to go tell the seniors and juniors who might declare early that we are just going to pack it in this season so we can build for the future. I hope you've been hitting the cardio.....
I don't think I said we'd pack it in purposely. We have no guarantees regardless who the QB is. I really don't think who we start at QB will have any bearing on guys leaving early. If Braxton Miller is the guy, I'll support him 100%.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Well, my natural negativity says this isn't likely to happen. Which means nothing, of course.

There's no doubt that Miller would be far and away the best QB on campus the moment that he arrives at Alabama. Could Miller/Kiffin/Bama offense get in sync with just fall practice? Would he come with anything less than a guaranteed starting job from Saban? Would Saban have enough confidence in him to give such a guarantee (Saban would never give such a guarantee, you say.... ? Think carefully about that...)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This may have been a long time coming if it happens. I posted this in the mega thread that was started back in January..

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I don't see a negative to this. Former Heisman trophy candidate. Dual threat guy which CNS and CLK want after seeing what BS can do when the play breaks down. Russell Wilson worked out well for Wisconsin coming in in the summer (I know BM is not Russell Wilson) I personally hope it happens if only for the purpose of us to face OSU in the playoffs or NCG and Braxton Miller helps us best Urban Meyer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Robert Smith seemed to think that if he stayed at tOSU he would play RB and WR..... he may well be someone that can play RB and WR for us as well as QB

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
At some point this is going to have an impact on recruiting QBs. If guys put in the time and do what's asked only for a transfer to come in to try and slide into playing time, then that could ruin chemistry. I would rather the coaches own who they have recruited and develop and promote from within. I hope one of the underclassmen win this job. Just my preference.

RTR

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm pretty sure NFL was saying he s better off as a RB or WR... But if tht's the case, then He can stay at OSU as a WR or RB.... so why transfer? Only way to see it if it he really want to get QB.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Big question remains if he can pick up the offense quickly enough to play, if he comes in May. I'd assume the offense would be closer to what we ran with Sims than what we've practiced all spring long...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So if he's that great why doesn't he just go win the job again at OSU and be the Big 10 POY yet again...I'd take Cornwell
Well there is an issue of Cardel Jones being the only healthy qb going into fall practice and the fact that Barrett just eclipsed all his records and more or less put tOSU in the position to make it to the playoffs. Miller to me is the best out of all of them, and actually has posted two 12 wins seasons at tOSU, but its hard to negate recent history between Jones and Barret in Miller's absense. For Miller to play qb at a Power 5 team next year the routes that have been swirling around point this way (from easiest to hardest)
1.LSU
2.Oregon
3.Ole Miss
4.Bama
5.FSU
6.tOSU

and are you really comparing Cornwell to Miller at this point???

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, my natural negativity says this isn't likely to happen. Which means nothing, of course.
Yeah I'm in the boat of beleive none of what you hear and half of what you see; and the old saying that Ill beleive it when I see it. I have seen enough physical evidence from people in T-Town and on different boards to say that he was in T-Town recently. But not enough to beleive he was talking to coaches about possibly transfering. For all we know it could just be that he was hanging out with his buddy Trey. I think there is a possibility that he comes here but not willing to bet the ranch that he does.
no doubt that Miller would be far and away the best QB on campus the moment that he arrives at Alabama. Could Miller/Kiffin/Bama offense get in sync with just fall practice? Would he come with anything less than a guaranteed starting job from Saban? Would Saban have enough confidence in him to give such a guarantee (Saban would never give such a guarantee, you say.... ? Think carefully about that...)
I think if Miller transfers then it will be a much different situation than it was for Coker. I think Kiffin would tend to tailor the gamplan around Miller and ease him into the overall offense by mid season. You have to remember he is a great improvisor as a qb and an already proven qb as well. I think the biggest concern is his health. Will it be pre injury Miller or a shell of himself Miller. I tend to think that if Miller is 100% and the other qbs dont just explode with improvement; I think that it would be Miller's job to lose. Again last year.....

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
81..I just don't think Braxton is that great of a passing QB. I'll take any of ours over him. He's a Tim Tebow, wildcat QB that has some wheels and can throw a pass. Has he ever won a game throwing from the pocket?

The whole spread thing works for these type running QBs. There's about 5 plays and everything develops off of those. That's not our offense.

Just my .02

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
81..I just don't think Braxton is that great of a passing QB. I'll take any of ours over him. He's a Tim Tebow, wildcat QB that has some wheels and can throw a pass. Has he ever won a game throwing from the pocket?

The whole spread thing works for these type running QBs. There's about 5 plays and everything develops off of those. That's not our offense.

Just my .02
he has won games with his feet and improv. I mean what defense that we are facing would not fear Braxton Miller behind center. He is a good passer. Plus kiffin's offense would be perfect for him. to each their own, but nothing about Cornwell is really comparable at this point to be next to Braxton. IMO

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
At some point this is going to have an impact on recruiting QBs. If guys put in the time and do what's asked only for a transfer to come in to try and slide into playing time, then that could ruin chemistry. I would rather the coaches own who they have recruited and develop and promote from within. I hope one of the underclassmen win this job. Just my preference.

RTR
I totally agree,well said.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
he has won games with his feet and improv. I mean what defense that we are facing would not fear Braxton Miller behind center. He is a good passer. Plus kiffin's offense would be perfect for him. to each their own, but nothing about Cornwell is really comparable at this point to be next to Braxton. IMO
Cornwell is a good athlete for his size but IMO Braxton is a much better pure athlete. That doesn't really have a big impact on who can play QB the best though..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Cornwell is a good athlete for his size but IMO Braxton is a much better pure athlete. That doesn't really have a big impact on who can play QB the best though..
My point is we can gauge miller's game because of what we have actually seen but we can't do the same for Cornwell. All we really have to go on Cornwell is an A day game ,where you can either look at it as he struggled with the second string offense or he was deprived of the playmakers on the first string offense, and the accounts which may be accurate or distorted by the few that get invited to closed scrimmages. We know a lot more of what we can potentially get with miller than what we will get with Cornwell. I totally understand that people don't like the auburn way of hopping on the hot transfer to get a position, but to say you would rather have Cornwell than miller with what we know is either reaching or extreme bias. Cornwell could very well be the better qb in the long run but right now it's very hard to prove it without crimson colored glasses.

Last edited:

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I'm not sure how many of you have seen Braxton play but while he may not look the part of a NFL caliber QB.He is still a better passer than any QB we have on our roster now.I really think we should try to move away from the McCarron,McElroy molds and continue using a dual threat QB.The game has changed a lot since our last championship.If we bring in Braxton for a year and give Barnett a year to prep under him i would have no problem with that plan whatsoever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.