Question: Braxton Miller to UA?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's assume this:
We know he has a degree already. Can anyone confirm he was in school for the Spring Semester at OSU?
Why didn't he transfer to Bama, FSU, or anywhere to get head start on the playbook.
We know Russell Wilson can learn in short amount of time, but Miller hasn't been throwing ball for a while, so he'll be rusty no matter where he goes.
IF he does transfer to Bama, Can he truly pick up where he left off and be the guy we know who he is?
Is he coming to Bama as a QB? RB? WR? We could use some help at WR.. and RB.
Now that spring camp is over, and Spring semester ends in few weeks.. I would expect to hear something on Miller by end of the month...

This new of MIller, I wonder how much it affects Coker and Cornwell?
He is enrolled at OSU and participated in football activities this spring (limited, but he is doing speed/agility drills).

He says that he wants to stay at OSU - we will see how that plays out.

If he transfers, it will be to play QB. The Bucks will be as good as anyone in the country this season. No reason to transfer for any other reason.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I don't think it will affect anything with other QBs. He would just be there next year. By next signing day, he will have already completed his eligibililty.
My point is, when does it stop? This is the 2nd year in a row now for someone who couldn't or won't hack it at their previous school to try and jump the underclassmen at UA because we are a winning program. I would just prefer that we commit to our guys develop and promote from within...sink or swim... Those kids earned it and stuck to their commitment ; so should the coaches.

I want to be a winner as much as anyone, but I enjoy it more when done the right way. Just my preference

RTR

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My point is, when does it stop? This is the 2nd year in a row now for someone who couldn't or won't hack it at their previous school to try and jump the underclassmen at UA because we are a winning program. I would just prefer that we commit to our guys develop and promote from within...sink or swim... Those kids earned it and stuck to their commitment ; so should the coaches.

I want to be a winner as much as anyone, but I enjoy it more when done the right way. Just my preference

RTR
It'll stop when the coaches believe the QB play is at a championship level quality. Whether it be poor QB recruiting or a lack of development under Nussmeier, the guys prior to 2013 haven't proved to be good candidates thus far.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

RTR
If Braxton Miller came it would be a vastly different situation than Jacob Coker. Where Coker was a intresting unknown, Braxton Miller has proven that he is a high caliber qb. I think it actually benefits us for a high competiton to happen.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Finebaum's show must be struggling. I don't see any way he comes to Bama. He would not get the starting QB job IMO, and would only be an option if 2 others failed in front of him. Not enough time to develop the chemistry he needs with the receivers.
He hasn't been in the program to show what he can do with Bama's offense, so despite the the talk I think it's just that, talk.
FWIW - comparing BS's last spring stats (performance) to his last season, if the same holds true for either JC or DC, there won't be any doubters after the first game or two, similar to last year. I know, it was BS's first time with LK, but I trust in LK to handle the QB issue. Remember, JC was going against the number 1 defense at A-day. A defense that is being considered by many to be one of, if not the, best in the country.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So should they stop taking JUCO guys as well? Stop recruiting people who will start as true freshman? Seniority should not automatically mean a starting job. As things turned out, Blake, the guy with the seniority got the job but that wasn't why he deserved it. As to the sink or swim part... oh my from within? That sounds like why DuBose was hired.

Also, the idea that Braxton can't hack it at his previous school is a mischaracterization. He was a Heisman candidate, he just had the misfortune of being injured.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Finebaum's show must be struggling. I don't see any way he comes to Bama. He would not get the starting QB job IMO, and would only be an option if 2 others failed in front of him. Not enough time to develop the chemistry he needs with the receivers.
He hasn't been in the program to show what he can do with Bama's offense, so despite the the talk I think it's just that, talk.
FWIW - comparing BS's last spring stats (performance) to his last season, if the same holds true for either JC or DC, there won't be any doubters after the first game or two, similar to last year. I know, it was BS's first time with LK, but I trust in LK to handle the QB issue. Remember, JC was going against the number 1 defense at A-day. A defense that is being considered by many to be one of, if not the, best in the country.
Coker transfering to Bama last year is world's different than if Braxton would do it this year. If Braxton is healthy I tend to believe that Coker/ Cornwell would have a serious competition. I still think Lane's offense would be an easier transition for Braxton than it was for Coker at FSU. Plus Braxton's feet are extremely dangerous so that could be a deciding factor if he joins the qb competition. IDK if it happens but either way we shall see in a few weeks, but it will probably answer most of our qb concerns.
So should they stop taking JUCO guys as well? Stop recruiting people who will start as true freshman? Seniority should not automatically mean a starting job. As things turned out, Blake, the guy with the seniority got the job but that wasn't why he deserved it. As to the sink or swim part... oh my from within? That sounds like why DuBose was hired.

Also, the idea that Braxton can't hack it at his previous school is a mischaracterization. He was a Heisman candidate, he just had the misfortune of being injured.
Agree 100%. I think people are too attached with the recruiting classes and get excited when they feel it should be "Their Time". I think they also feel that by us doing this we are turning to Auburn tactics to field a team. But sometimes that might be the only choice that needs to be taken. IDK where our qbs are in where the coaches feel they should be, but if they dont think Coker, Cornwell, or whoever isnt the right man at the right time with Braxton calling, I really dont see the issue. I do think there is a potential discouragement for underclassmen, but after a day of thinking I think CNS and CLK are more committed to finding the right guy than the flashy guy so the young guys probably should accept put up or shut up there is a constant competition.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CNS is at an event in Huntsville this evening...

@marctorrence Saban: "If there was somebody out there who I thought could help our team," wouldn't rule out a graduate transfer. Can't address specifics.

@CecilHurt Nick Saban, asked generally about transfers tonight, said UA would "have room" if it was "the right person," No comment on specific players.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Finebaum saying it's a real possibility.
You killed all credibility when you said "Finebaum".

Come on folks, really?!? Having a ton of blue chip talent at QB on campus, and bringing in a (misfit) transfer like that? It will kill recruiting in the future for QB's. Bringing in Coker last year was a huge mistake and a distraction. I watched the scrimmage on April 11th and also saw the spring game. We are fine at QB. Ahead of where we were this time last year, and we saw how well we did then.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Come on folks, really?!? Having a ton of blue chip talent at QB on campus, and bringing in a (misfit) transfer like that? It will kill recruiting in the future for QB's. Bringing in Coker last year was a huge mistake and a distraction. I watched the scrimmage on April 11th and also saw the spring game. We are fine at QB. Ahead of where we were this time last year, and we saw how well we did then.
Paul Finebaum isn't the only person discussing this.

And why do you think Braxton would be a "misfit?"

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
CNS is at an event in Huntsville this evening...

@marctorrence Saban: "If there was somebody out there who I thought could help our team," wouldn't rule out a graduate transfer. Can't address specifics.

@CecilHurt Nick Saban, asked generally about transfers tonight, said UA would "have room" if it was "the right person," No comment on specific players.
That's very interesting. Thanks for the post.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

There has been indications of this possibilty far before finebaum tried to spice up his show yesterday. There have been reports of him being in T-town last month.

Misfit? why is he a misfit?

Also, Again Jacob Coker last year is way different than if Braxton would transfer. Coker was more or less billed a hidden attraction that FSU stole from the state of alabama but didnt play because Jameis was a once in a lifetime recruit. Miller is a proven qb with a proven track record, and would probably substantially increase any team's, that gets him, chances of a playoff berth. I know everyone wants to stick with molding players that we recruited to win championships, but sometimes a hired gun is the better option. There is no such thing as a rebuilding year at Alabama just a reloading.

Last edited:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
There has been indications of this possibilty far before finebaum tried to spice up his show yesterday. There have been reports of him being in T-town last month.

Misfit? why is he a misfit?

Also, Again Jacob Coker last year is way different than if Braxton would transfer. Coker was more or less billed a hidden attraction that FSU stole from the state of alabama but didnt play because Jameis was a once in a lifetime recruit. Miller is a proven qb with a proven track record, and would probably substantially increase any team's, that gets him, chances of a playoff berth. I know everyone wants to stick with molding players that we recruited to win championships, but sometimes a hired gun is the better option. There is no such thing as a rebuilding year at Alabama just a reloading.
Now I know why I have this gut feeling hoping this does not happen.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'd have no problem with Braxton Miller transferring to UA. I'm not handing him the position of QB, he'd have to earn it, but he's a fine youngster, and I'd welcome him.
sip

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Having a ton of blue chip talent at QB on campus, and bringing in a (misfit) transfer like that?
While I agree that I just don't see Miller being able to take over our offense this year and that quickly, but what in the world makes you think he is a misfit?? I think the only thing he got in trouble for was that pic of that muscle milk or whatever that crap was. Other than that the kid has never been a troublemaker on or off the field in h.s. or college.

It's ok to say you don't think he is a good QB or not a good fit, but to call him a misfit when it isn't deserved is not cool.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.