Question: Braxton Miller to UA?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think he's a poor fit because even with Blake, we didn't base our running game around the threat of the QB run.

It would also seem to hurt QB recruiting somewhere down the road, because recruits would be told we don't develop QBs, we just sign free agents.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think he's a poor fit because even with Blake, we didn't base our running game around the threat of the QB run.

It would also seem to hurt QB recruiting somewhere down the road, because recruits would be told we don't develop QBs, we just sign free agents.
Which would only work if there was evidence to back it up. Having a transfer come in and start one year (presumably this year), while every other year having someone start who was recruited/developed here, pokes holes in that argument. Coker came in, but couldn't beat out Blake for the job. So as I said in an earlier post, no matter if Coker starts or Miller happened to transfer in and start, unless one of the young guys is ready to go it's essentially the same.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wait... We didnt have to do that when we had two good RBs... but there was some plays designed for Blake... throughout the year...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
True that Blake's legs were an asset for us, but he wasn't our leading rusher, as I believe Miller was for OSU..

Also a good point on Coker not starting after transferring. It may not be really any different than bringing in blue chip recruits each and every year to compete, but I suspect it would be an issue used against us in recruiting - even if the argument is they won't help you develop at Bama. It might cost us sometime, it might not.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
True that Blake's legs were an asset for us, but he wasn't our leading rusher, as I believe Miller was for OSU..

Also a good point on Coker not starting after transferring. It may not be really any different than bringing in blue chip recruits each and every year to compete, but I suspect it would be an issue used against us in recruiting - even if the argument is they won't help you develop at Bama. It might cost us sometime, it might not.

Just because Urban Meyer and cast used braxton miller as more of a rusher than their own HBs doesn't necessarily mean Lane Kiffin would do the same. And honestly, I don't think there is much dirt other coaches/teams can use against us in recruiting. If they could, we wouldn't have top ranked classes year in and year out. Even if braxton miller doesn't ever play a down at the capstone, he would be an excellent addition for the scout team to help our defense prepare for anyone and anything (that miss state qb is looking lethal again)

I wouldn't mind seeing Braxton Miller come on the field situationally. He doesn't need to know the whole playbook, just a handful of plays we can execute on 100% of the time to move the dang ball downfield is all we ask. And if Braxton Miller can do that, what's the issue?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sims didn't have to be our leading rusher. We had Drake, Henry and Yeldon for that. Sims run counted the most when we needed it. It's not about the stats number. Sims made huge plays with his feet against Ttexas A and M, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Mizzoui, etc.

Coker didn't get the starting job because he didnt know the playbook well, Was slow at making the calls at the games several times... If he had locked those down, He would've started instead of Sims... Sims won because he had chemistry and been in the system longer.
.....he would be an excellent addition for the scout team to help our defense prepare for anyone and anything (that miss state qb is looking lethal again)

I wouldn't mind seeing Braxton Miller come on the field situationally. He doesn't need to know the whole playbook, just a handful of plays we can execute on 100% of the time to move the dang ball downfield is all we ask. And if Braxton Miller can do that, what's the issue?
Miller, if assumed is coming to Alabama... He's not going to sign with us just to be on scout team. CNS and CLK will find a way for him to be on the field if he don't win the job... If he does come to Alabama at all. HE can probably get playing time at RB or WR due to the depth issues we have at both positions. If miller wins the job, I think we'll be fine. If Coker wins the job, we'll be fine. If Cornwell wins the job, We'll be fine. :)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Coker has the ability to move the ball down the field. He can throw. The issue with him is his decision making at the line. On 3rd and 2, Kiffin calling out the play... It takes him long time to set the play... read defense. The ball is snapped.. He goes through his progression. That's his issue right now... Deciding where the ball needs to be going to... when the primiary read isn't available. He takes the sack, throw ints or throw the ball away. I think he had a situation where we were in a good position to score and he took a sack to end a half. Kiffin/Saban screamed at him.

It's almost as if he's scared to make mistakes... Let's remember last year.. Sims forced lot of ball to Cooper several times... and on plays where We've seen White, Jones, Howard was wide open down the field.. but He never saw them because Sims reacted real quick and wasn't patient so he ran or got rid of ball fast.. but he got better as season progressed. I wouuld say Coker may struggle a little.. but he'll definitely will get better. Cornwell is capable of getting this done.
I still think Coker can be an effective QB for us with more game reps.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Good article

Ohio State's Braxton Miller was in Alabama, Jalston Fowler confirms, and here's why

"Yeah, he actually came down," Fowler said. "He and Trey DePriest are best friends. They have been best friends since they were small kids up in Ohio. He and Trey DePriest are boys. I only saw him down here once. He came down to hang out with Trey. He came over to the apartment. It was some time this year."

Miller has been the topic of much speculation. With a logjam at quarterback for the defending national champs, rumors of his departure have been rampant.

Miller didn't play last season thanks to a shoulder injury, which he's currently rehabbing.

He was replaced by J.T. Barrett, who was then replaced by Cardale Jones. Jones led Urban Meyer's Buckeyes to a Big Ten championship game title as well as national title.

On Thursday, Fowler gave no indication if he knew if there was any validity to the rumors, but he did say there would be no favoritism if he did enroll at Tuscaloosa.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
we didnt have a starting qb last spring, summer or fall camp...
The only point there that I agree with is Health. Because the two many qbs and he couldve already transfered arent solid issues. As of right now we dont have a starting qb, and braxton cant practice til June so he could probably be assesing his options based on everyones spring performances.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
we didnt have a starting qb last spring, summer or fall camp...
I know my point is that many here that are against this possibility try to make it out that either our qbs are light years ahead of Braxton Miller in talent or that getting a transfer after spring is stupid because of how Jacob Coker struggled. The article that he linked suggest that we have too deep of a qb stable for Braxton to overcome, but I cant for the life of me see any heisman canidates amongst them. They may well develop into to that, but its hard to see at this point. I really think a healthy Braxton Miller, if he comes, would probably be our most talented qb, but time will tell.Im ok with people being content with what we got, but some act like we have joe,kenny, and jay barker all in our stable of qbs.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
He should know the system .
Knowing the system is one thing. But having a mind that is nimble enough to read progressions and have sufficient situational awareness to be effective in a 3-4 second window is another thing. Not saying Jake can`t do it, mind you. Just saying.....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Trey was quoted on al.com saying Miller's trips here were to see Dr. Andrews.
No one knows what Braxton will do, but Im pretty sure he wasnt unnoticed by the coaching staff on those visits. Its amazing that the news hasnt reported this a long time ago. So everything has been very secretitive for awhile. So we dont know until we know

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.