Question: Braxton Miller to UA?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We are not all of a a sudden going to become a triple option team, but we will be starting an inexperienced QB and the strength of the team may be its ability to run at will if the line is as good as advertised. Saban has made it clear he intends to win the TO battle and I think he'll have a lower risk offense to compliment that scheme. It doesn't mean we won't pass, but we'll do it when it is what the defense gives us.
Kind of interesting. This reminds me a little potentially of Green Bay`s philosophy back in the 60`s with the Green Bay Sweep. They ran it, and ran it, and ran it. They practiced it relentlessly until it was perfected. Of course, it didn`t hurt that they had two of the best pulling guards the game`s ever seen ( Thurston and Kramer ). Seems out of character for Kiffen but I wonder if we`ll take something of the same approach (?).

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
We are not all of a a sudden going to become a triple option team, but we will be starting an inexperienced QB and the strength of the team may be its ability to run at will if the line is as good as advertised. Saban has made it clear he intends to win the TO battle and I think he'll have a lower risk offense to compliment that scheme. It doesn't mean we won't pass, but we'll do it when it is what the defense gives us.
Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen much claim that we will have a great o-line this year.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen much claim that we will have a great o-line this year.
Certainly can`t speak for RJ, but perhaps he`s referring to CNS` expressions of general satisfaction with the O lines development (?). Of course, being generally pleased with the progress of a group and having it be considered "great" or "dominant" could be two entirely different things.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
The best I can remember, when we started inexperienced QB's in Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron, Bama still ran a balanced offense mostly. The run game couldn't be stopped but we still threw it a bunch.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I think he is referring to the fact that Jackson and Bozeman have been touted as really good run blockers. Jackson has apparently improved in pass blocking, but this all remains to be seen...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah I must have missed that too. I do not expect much change in the offense this year
Yeah I doubt there will be much change in the O from 2014. I do think the WR production as a group will be better though. The running game does worry me a little only because we are pretty thin back there. Talented but thin.

Whoever ends up at QB will be on a short leash at the beginning so we will rely on running 60/40 or 55/45 until the QB gets his groove.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
IMHO, there are no dominant receivers on this team. There certainly won't be another Amari. I do think we will spread the ball around more so we may be able to replace a good bit of Amari's production, but I just think the strength of this team may be running the ball. We passed to set up the run last year and I think it will be the other way around this year. That doesn't mean we won't be fairly balanced, but until we get comfortable with a starter and his ability to not make TO's, I think we'll run a fairly low risk offense. That would mean to me running the ball and/or a very controlled short passing game. The game against Wisky may be a throw back to the 70's.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My brother's friend knows someone within the athletic department. He was told this about the QB situation:

• Thinking is that Cornwell and Barnett will be fine in the long run.
  • Could win 8-9 with Bateman or Cornwell.
  • Don’t trust Coker.
  • Miller could be a good part of a run-heavy team, as long as the shoulder lets him do some passing.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
IMHO, there are no dominant receivers on this team. There certainly won't be another Amari. I do think we will spread the ball around more so we may be able to replace a good bit of Amari's production, but I just think the strength of this team may be running the ball. We passed to set up the run last year and I think it will be the other way around this year. That doesn't mean we won't be fairly balanced, but until we get comfortable with a starter and his ability to not make TO's, I think we'll run a fairly low risk offense. That would mean to me running the ball and/or a very controlled short passing game. The game against Wisky may be a throw back to the 70's.
Our receiving core might actually be deeper
And more talented than we were last year. We won't have an amari but you also have to consider amari drew a lot of attention and made white and cj look a lot better than they probably really were.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
My brother's friend knows someone within the athletic department. He was told this about the QB situation:

• Don’t trust Coker.
  • Miller could be a good part of a run-heavy team, as long as the shoulder lets him do some passing.
Interesting...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
My issue with this is that Miller didn't want to run a lot... he want to prove his worth as a passing QB... I saw this somewhere the other day. but I can see where you are going with this... Notsuprised at this news. Coker is too inconsistent.

Our receiving core might actually be deeper
And more talented than we were last year. We won't have an amari but you also have to consider amari drew a lot of attention and made white and cj look a lot better than they probably really were.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

• Don’t trust Coker.

I have been saying Cornwell and think he will be the guy. You can just tell with Coker he's just missing something to be a 5th yr QB at a D1 level.

For some reason I would be ok with 9 wins this year if it sets us up for the next 2-3 years. I don't like saying that and am not sure how we got here with sooo many young QBs. I'm just realistic about where we are. Our schedule is rough this year for a new QB but hey, this is Bama. Unfortunately we will have a "down" year at some point, for Bama standards that is.

RTR

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

• Don’t trust Coker.
That's all fine and dandy, but the problem is in truth we dont know and are speculating for the most part. With that said I think 9-11 wins is the most probable prediction at this point without knowing our defensive capabalities and how far along our qbs will be in the fall. If Miller does come here healthy I think that sends a big message about our stable of qbs at this point.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
My issue with this is that Miller didn't want to run a lot... he want to prove his worth as a passing QB... I saw this somewhere the other day. but I can see where you are going with this... Notsuprised at this news. Coker is too inconsistent.
What does this mean? Miller ran for 715 yards as a freshman, 1271 yards as a sophomore and 1068 yards as a junior. If we ask him to run the ball occasionally, it's not as if he'd be confronted with a radical change of approach.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
at OSU He ran a lot. Probably contributed to that shoulder's injury. So If his shoulder isn't 100 percent healthy or he's scared of re-injurying it again, then why take a chance running so much this fall? Plus NFL team dont think he can be a QB at NFL level, so of course he wants to be able to given a chance to throw more than his runs. I think if he came to Alabama and he probably will.. *Slightly grin* He probably would have between 500-700 running yards... Beside we have Drake, Henry and harris.
What does this mean? Miller ran for 715 yards as a freshman, 1271 yards as a sophomore and 1068 yards as a junior. If we ask him to run the ball occasionally, it's not as if he'd be confronted with a radical change of approach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.