Question: Braxton Miller to UA?

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Catching up on the thread it sounds like we may know more very soon on this. I go back and forth on it myself, I guess my bottom line is I do trust our coaches to start the best guy, if BM comes he'll likely be that guy. He'll sure have a lot of work to do to catch up on the system, but I don't think CLK and coach Saban would accept him if they thought he could not learn learn it in time to contribute in a significant way. I believe they thought Coker would be the starter last year.
I would like to know posters thoughts on the possible transfers if it happens. I think Coker will go somewhere he feels he can start to at least give himself a chance for NFL play, which is hard to imagine here if he's a backup or shared duty QB. My opinion is Coker goes elsewhere. There are probably plenty of schools that will promise him a starter job. Maybe a couple of others transfer too. Who do you think may leave?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If you are asking for opinions only, then I don't see either Miller or Golson to Alabama. Coker to start at QB backed up by Cornwell. Bateman to transfer for sure and a remote possibility that Morris could also. If Miller transfers it will be to a PAC 12 or ACC program. Golson to FSU.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I hope Jake stays. But if he chooses to leave, he would have far fewer options than miller or the Notre Dame kid. He's never started a college game. Unless he drops down to a small school, his best chance to play is in Tuscaloosa.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I hope Jake stays. But if he chooses to leave, he would have far fewer options than miller or the Notre Dame kid. He's never started a college game. Unless he drops down to a small school, his best chance to play is in Tuscaloosa.
I've really been looking forward to seeing Coker start and get some gametime under his belt. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've thought he could be a real star for us, just needs PT and confidence.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've really been looking forward to seeing Coker start and get some gametime under his belt. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've thought he could be a real star for us, just needs PT and confidence.
I think it will depend on our offensive philosophy this year. Last year we went with a quick, short passing offense that relied on a lot of screens and short throws. This fit Blake Sims game perfectly. If he would have been forced to run the same offensive gameplan we saw for three years under AJM he would have not been nearly as good.

Fast forward to Coker. He's a lot more like AJM, although, at this point I don't think he has the same ability. To run that type of offense we'll need to be able to effectively run the ball and then Coker will have to make 'em pay, as the defense loads the box, with longer throws down the field.

However, based on what I've seen in Cokers limited playing time, his progressions are just too slow to check off mulitiple downfield options and even on the short throws it seems it takes forever for him to get the ball out of his hands.

So I think there's a little bit of technique issues with his slow windup and then he seems to be unsure of himself/what to do in the pocket at times.

I think Coker may get the start in the first game, but unless he shows significant improvement then I think we may have our first legitimate, in-season, qb controversy in a number of years.

Edit: to stay on topic, I think the reason we may be looking at BM is the same reason we took Coker the year before. The picture at qb is so fuzzy right now.

Last edited:

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Bama obviously has a very good team, possibly great team with a winning QB. Coker has been given a lot of time. If BM comes to Bama it just seems probable that Bama is instantly better. Lot of dynamics involved like others had said, but as one commentator said, other SEC teams do not want to see BM to Bama. If he doesn't come then Coker is the man maybe.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think Alabama will contend for the Championship, Braxton Miller or not.
I'm buoyed by the optimism I see in this thread, but I'm inclined to be more cautious / measured, given that, while - admittedly - no one can question the talent we have across the board, the inexperience on offence is, to me, a concern, esp at certain positions...

The loss of "money" guys like Coop, TJ, Nudie, etc. is going to be felt.

I suppose the question becomes to what degree...

Defense, yes, should be beastly up front, and I'm optimistic about improvement in the secondary...

The inexperience, plus this year's sched, will be one helluva test...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you are as good defensively as I think that you might be, your offense may not matter.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If you are as good defensively as I think that you might be, your offense may not matter.
I think that may have been true a few years back, B1G, but w the increased emphasis on "Speedball", as Coach sometimes calls it, I just don't see even the stoutest D shutting strong teams down now. A&M last year excepted, tho not sure whether they qualified as "strong"...

I think it's inevitable that every D is gonna give up points, and will thus need their O to get 'em back...

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I am hoping you are right. Even if Miller or someone else transfers in, I don't believe Coker is going anywhere.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
It's hard to imagine Miller coming here with the QB's we have that would be competition for him. I know he's very highly regarded, but he still takes a risk because he won't get a guaranteed start and there's no telling how much improvement we'll see in Coker over summer.
As far as Coker is concerned I really hope we'll see improvement over the summer similar to what Blake Sims showed last year. From what I read he's had a trainer for a number of years. I would bet he works hard over the summer on his problem areas. He's got has the potential to be great. Sims set the bar high in regards to hard work and improving, I hope Coker responds in a similar way. Of course CLK was masterful in designing the offense around Sims abilities. I'm sure he'll do the same for our next QB. I'm pulling for Coker to do well.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I heard on the Roundtable on WJOX that the Miller thing will play itself out likely in the next few days. I didn't hear it all, but I did hear him say if he wasn't here by memorial day, he isn't coming.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.