Vet and former Playboy model Michelle Manhart scuffles with cops while trying to..

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'll say this much. I know of a particular gathering place (not far from my home) of veterans and their respective family members, several leo's, family members of former military or law enforcement personnel who have passed away and even a sprinkling here and there of active duty military when they're home on leave.
I'm on a first name basis with most of them, and I'm sure I could arrange a little demonstration. Supposing I were to arrange for an American flag to be laid down (on a clean rug or carpet, of course) on the floor and for all these "friends" to gather around it.
For all those who think it's OK to walk on the American flag, I challenge you to just come on over and try to step even one foot on it.
Come on. I dare you.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I'll say this much. I know of a particular gathering place (not far from my home) of veterans and their respective family members, several leo's, family members of former military or law enforcement personnel who have passed away and even a sprinkling here and there of active duty military when they're home on leave.
I'm on a first name basis with most of them, and I'm sure I could arrange a little demonstration. Supposing I were to arrange for an American flag to be laid down (on a clean rug or carpet, of course) on the floor and for all these "friends" to gather around it.
For all those who think it's OK to walk on the American flag, I challenge you to just come on over and try to step even one foot on it.
Come on. I dare you.
Reminds me when some college kids tried this in Columbus, Ga. Some folks from Benning saw it, and that ended that show. :)

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Nailed it. I understand her anger, but that's why free expression needs protection - sometimes it's offensive.

My only real problem with the whole thing is that I strongly suspect that if it were a bunch of conservative white Christian men trampling on the Mexican flag, the school would have thrown them off campus for being offensive.
At Michigan watching American Sniper was offensive and was initially banned but walking on the flag is ok. What is considered offensive is determined by who it offends. It is ok to offend citizens on the right side of the political spectrum.
I say it was her freedom of speech to grab the flag and she did not physically assault anyone. While no charges were filed against her she has now been dismissed from the university. While I do not approve of then walking on the flag it is the students right but I also have the right to protest. She should not have been dismissed from school.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Something tells me you won't get the flag onto the floor with the group you describe.

Come on. I dare you.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
At Michigan watching American Sniper was offensive and was initially banned but walking on the flag is ok. What is considered offensive is determined by who it offends. It is ok to offend citizens on the right side of the political spectrum.
I say it was her freedom of speech to grab the flag and she did not physically assault anyone. While no charges were filed against her she has now been dismissed from the university. While I do not approve of then walking on the flag it is the students right but I also have the right to protest. She should not have been dismissed from school.
Only minorities can be offended. It doesn't matter what minority group, just as long as you're a minority, you can be offended. Non-minorities can never be offended. If I offended anyone with this post...get over it!

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Those who call for war have never spent any time studying it. There's literally no one, other than the evil or insane, who would desire war.
As the great Jimmy Stewart said as Charlie Anderson in Shenandoah:
There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess. The undertakers are winning. And the politicians who talk about the glory of it. And the old men who talk about the need of it. And the soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
As the great Jimmy Stewart said as Charlie Anderson in Shenandoah:
There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess. The undertakers are winning. And the politicians who talk about the glory of it. And the old men who talk about the need of it. And the soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.
Yes, and that sounds great. Keep in mind it was Charlie Anderson who said those wise words.

The real Jimmy Stewart, highly decorated bomber pilot, Major General Jimmy Stewart, literally fought to get into action during WWII. Stewart flew many missions over Germany, and even accompanied a bombing mission (some 20 years later) during the Vietnam war.

Though he was in real life, heroic, he didn't glorify in war... and Jimmy Stewart didn't exactly "go home", even though he surely had his chances.

... granted, it was a great movie line, though.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Yes, and that sounds great. Keep in mind it was Charlie Anderson who said those wise words.

The real Jimmy Stewart, highly decorated bomber pilot, Major General Jimmy Stewart, literally fought to get into action during WWII. Stewart flew many missions over Germany, and even accompanied a bombing mission (some 20 years later) during the Vietnam war.

Though he was in real life, heroic, he didn't glorify in war... and Jimmy Stewart didn't exactly "go home", even though he surely had his chances.

... granted, it was a great movie line, though.
Indeed. That's one reason why Jimmy's one of my all-time favorite actors. A genuine hero, not just a guy who played one on film now & then.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.