Vet and former Playboy model Michelle Manhart scuffles with cops while trying to..

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Two stories from the Valdosta State University news paper.

http://www.vsuspectator.com/category/news/

And yes the female vet posed nude wrapped in the flag with it trailing on the ground. http://i.imgur.com/hbkaYGM.jpg
Just read the article about the protestors and even the writer doesn't know what the protest was about:

On Friday afternoon, a group of African-American students set up a protest in front of Odum Library on the Pedestrian Mall, and while the purpose of the protest is not clear, demonstrators placed an American flag on the ground and walked over it.
:rolleyes:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My only real problem with the whole thing is that I strongly suspect that if it were a bunch of conservative white Christian men trampling on the Mexican flag, the school would have thrown them off campus for being offensive.
And imagine if it were the rainbow flag instead of the Mexican flag.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Just read the article about the protestors and even the writer doesn't know what the protest was about:

:rolleyes:
Hey Bazza, if folks have a protest shouldn't they publicize the reason? LOL The protesters are missing a golden opportunity for a bunch of free publicity.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I'm of the mind of burn my flag and I'll bust your (bun) and walking on it is the same to me. Men and women of all colors have given their life so that the protester's have the right of free speech and you speak with your mouth not your feet. People need to treat the flag with the respect and remember it is a representation of all of America. You want to protest the idiots in Washington, please do and I don't care what else you protest, it is your right but leave the American flag out of it.

I was in the Air Force during the time MM did her thing and was just a bit outraged over her stunts with the flag. From the military side, it was offensive and she needed to be discharged. From the American male side of it, I studied the evidence before I made a decision.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's entirely disrespectful and deplorable and I'm left wondering why they don't just get the hell out of this country if they hate it so much.

Yes, it is free speech, although I don't think it's logical to suggest that it should have been. Either way, it is. So they can do it legally. But I am, like others here, concerned what would happen if we held a Koran burning ceremony and walked on pictures of Muhammad. Not about the Muslim response... I know what that would be. But I wonder what the response of Americans would be. Especially these clowns walking on the American flag.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Freedom of Speech does have limits.......

The Federal Government has determined that "Separation of Church and State" gives people the right to silence Speech that they don't agree with......

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I think a more effective protest of their protest would be to stand there and cite the pledge of allegiance.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Our Founding Fathers were evil or insane?
It could be argued that they were insane, attacking the Brits like they did... :biggrin:

But I don't think they wanted war - I would consider the revolutionary war more of a 'self defense' action, not unlike WW2. War cannot always be avoided, but I'm guessing that those who want a civil war have no idea what they're asking for.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
She protested the protest. She crossed the line and was removed. Seems like at this point the system worked.

Conspiracy theorist in me wonders if she didn't set it up to get back in the news. Nobody knows what the protest was about, they aren't stepping forward with a response, and she's getting all the publicity.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Freedom of speech doesn't require that you are right - or even that you have a valid point. But it also doesn't guarantee that those to whom you are freely speaking will all agree with you - or that they will not freely speak an opposing viewpoint. It simply allows you to enter your thoughts into the marketplace of ideas without fear of landing in jail or otherwise being penalized by the government. .

I think she was wrong to interfere with their little tantrum the way she did. Presumably, they were the ones who procured the Chinese-made cloth with the stars and stripes from the local Walmart (making a couple of assumptions here). Thus, it is their property to do with as they please.

I do, however, agree with those who point out the irony that if the symbol being trampled were a Koran, a rainbow flag or something else then they would have been implored not to do so because it might upset some people. Have we gotten to the point where people are not upset at seing the American flag trampled? If so, then the protesters may have picked the wrong symbol. If desecrating the flag elicits a collective shoulder shrug, then what is the point?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hey Bazza, if folks have a protest shouldn't they publicize the reason? LOL The protesters are missing a golden opportunity for a bunch of free publicity.
Yes exactly.....that's my point. Seebell.

Why not verbalize the point of the protest instead of assaulting the country's flag of all things. :conf2:

Like that will somehow win support for their cause.....pretty lame if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I saw this article earlier and it brings to mind the thoughts I've have many times when reading about similar scenes... I think it would be nearly impossible for me to restrain myself from doing exactly what Manhart did.

God bless her.

Now I've got some googling to do :)
I totally agree with your post!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.