Vet and former Playboy model Michelle Manhart scuffles with cops while trying to..

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
....recover trampled American flag.

Anyone else see this? Unbelievable. These protestors think walking all over our flag will accomplish anything for their "issues"? :rolleyes:

Maybe it is legal to trample and damage our flag - I don't know - but regardless of a 'freedom of speech' position - IMHO the school really should have stepped in and persuaded this group to cease and desist.

I have to hand it to Ms. Manhart....she held onto that flag like it was the last flag on earth....and it took 3 cops to get her into custody. Good for her!

CLICKY
(note: some salty language)

PS - You can Google Michelle's name if you want - she posed for Playboy while an airwoman back in '07 and was demoted for it and later voluntarily discharged.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I saw this article earlier and it brings to mind the thoughts I've have many times when reading about similar scenes... I think it would be nearly impossible for me to restrain myself from doing exactly what Manhart did.

God bless her.

Now I've got some googling to do :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
FYI.....

........they just aired the story on The O'Reilly Factor and Ms. Manhart will be a guest on The Kelly File - coming up in 13 minutes....hubba hubba.....

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I really wish our flag could be deemed off limits in matters of free speech.

It's a real shame it is not held more sacred.
I guess it depends on the area of the country you are in and your particular audience at the time. In some parts, walking on the flag is considered free speech. In other parts, it's an unforgivable act of treason. Walking on the flag in front of certain audiences will get you applause. Walking on the flag in front of certain other people will get you shot.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I guess it depends on the area of the country you are in and your particular audience at the time. In some parts, walking on the flag is considered free speech, in others, not so much. Walking on the flag in front of certain audiences will get you applause. Walking on the flag in front of certain other people will get you shot.
I wouldn't do it anywhere in Alabama - for example.... :cool:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
It seems more reprehensible to interfere with someone's right to free speech than to walk on the flag.
Nailed it. I understand her anger, but that's why free expression needs protection - sometimes it's offensive.

My only real problem with the whole thing is that I strongly suspect that if it were a bunch of conservative white Christian men trampling on the Mexican flag, the school would have thrown them off campus for being offensive.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
My respect for free speech would keep me from doing what she did, but it wouldn't stop me from yelling into these idiots' ears for the duration of their little "protest".

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Gee, isn't it common sense that "mistreatment" of the object is a free speech issue? I mean, it's not like it's the gay rights flag, for which you should be executed if you do this.

I'm puzzled as to why this is even a story. Wanna do something patriotic about it - go salute it while they protesters are doing their thing. I know the SCOTUS held WITH A CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY of 5-4 back in 1989 (IIRC) it is a free speech issue - and just to show you this isn't a left-right thing, some of the liberals dissented and some of the conservatives approved. (Interestingly enough - if Bork rather than Kennedy had been on SCOTUS, this would have gone the other way according to Lou Cannon in his Reagan biography).

Of course, I hope our libertarians here hold that burning the Koran is likewise a free speech issue without the weasel words of how that will inflame people on the other side of the world or anything about responsibility to others, too. But I doubt it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Someone will have to explain to me how walking across our flag furthers whatever cause this group has/had.

Terrible strategy if they want sympathy or support.

Publicity - no question about it - that they got. But what was that message again? Oh that's right.....we hate America. :rolleyes:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.