Favorite players from your childhood

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Mike Tucker- has 3 NC rings from the 70's played baseball against him in HS
Randy Billingsley- a real FB run all over me in HS football
Wilbur Jackson- great friend from Ozark whole family just plain good people
Sylvester Croom- meet him in Tampa, don't mean to stir a stink but he is a class guy would have been a winning coach at Alabama
Rich Wingo- strong as an ox & nice guy

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
The first players I idolized growing up would have been Shaun Alexander, Freddie Milons and Tyler Watts. I was a teen during the Shula days, so I would also even throw Bodie Croyle and Tyrone Prothro on the list.

Luckily, growing up in the digital age, and with a dad who grew up idolizing all of the players Bear had, I was immersed in old videos and tapes. So I almost feel like I grew up watching greats like Namath, Musso, Ogilvie, and all the others who I missed due to being born too late.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Leroy Jordan, Mike Fracchia, Joe Willie Namath are just three of many! Pat Trammel, also!

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
My Grandmother worked in the football office in the late 60's-early 70's so she knew most of the players. I was a big fan of Bob Childs, Pete Jilleba & Terry Davis. I have autographed pictures of Childs & Davis that I still have. Terry sent his to me in the mail when my grandmother told him what a big fan of his I was. We lived in New Jersey at the time as my Dad had gotten a job transfer from B'ham to NYC. During that time I got to meet Pete Jilleba at his home as he was a NJ native. He had brought some books home with him during a summer that my grandmother had sent with him for me and my siblings so one Saturday my Dad and I went to his house to pick them up. As a 8-9 yr old it was a big thrill to meet an Alabama football player.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
"Birdville" brings back old memories from the early '60's. We used to play them in football and basketball in the Park system league -- I played for "Crawford Park" if I remember correctly. You guys were always a tough game...:)

I go back to Leroy Jordan, etc., but my favorite players grew to be the OL. Unsung heroes but the key to any great team.

Yep, I began in organized football with the Thomas James Tinymites and played rec park football til junior high at Mae Eanes. Thomas James was great, we even had an indoor basketball court and believe me we had some killer pick-up games there with bets of a dime, (What the soft drink machine took) and even a quarter sometimes among those who had paper routes and could afford such high stakes.

:D:D:D

bamaboyinnh

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 21, 2008
New Hampshire
Im an old linebacker from my high school playing days. I will have to go with Derrick Thomas and Cornelius Bennett. Loved to watch those two play.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
If pressed, I think Coach Bryant would have said Pat Trammel was his all time favorite.
Little if any question about it. He stated that the day Pat died was the saddest day in his life.

No one will ever convince me that it didn't effect Coach Bryant's coaching during Bowl season for many years after Pat's death. Pat died 18 days before the 1968 Gator Bowl. I have never seen a team care less about playing in a Bowl game. It would be 1975 before Bama would win another Bowl. They were o-6-1 at that point in Bowls after Pat's death.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
My Grandmother worked in the football office in the late 60's-early 70's so she knew most of the players. I was a big fan of Bob Childs, Pete Jilleba & Terry Davis. I have autographed pictures of Childs & Davis that I still have. Terry sent his to me in the mail when my grandmother told him what a big fan of his I was. We lived in New Jersey at the time as my Dad had gotten a job transfer from B'ham to NYC. During that time I got to meet Pete Jilleba at his home as he was a NJ native. He had brought some books home with him during a summer that my grandmother had sent with him for me and my siblings so one Saturday my Dad and I went to his house to pick them up. As a 8-9 yr old it was a big thrill to meet an Alabama football player.
Terry Davis was a good friend of my dad and he coached my 13-14 year old baseball team. Good guy.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
In the ninth grade I wore number 22 as a running back and my nickname was, "Little Musso", so Johnny's my favorite. He was my idol. I still think he was the best all around football player Bama ever had. Run, block, catch passes, he could do it it all.
I'd go with Stabler, Namath, Sloan, Tommy John's, Leslie Kelly, impossible question.
But as a kid,these are the guys I remember most.
I'll say this however...the most vivid image I have was as a six year old when Mike Frachia(sp)tore his knee up. I remember watching him rolling around on the field, and medical science was nothing like it is today.
Tough sight.
Musso was the best Bama football player ever in my opinion. For the time, and I'll repeat, for the time.
Howard Cosell voted for him for the Heisman. That should tell you something if you're old enough to remember Howard.
sip

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
In the ninth grade I wore number 22 as a running back and my nickname was, "Little Musso", so Johnny's my favorite. He was my idol. I still think he was the best all around football player Bama ever had. Run, block, catch passes, he could do it it all.
I'd go with Stabler, Namath, Sloan, Tommy John's, Leslie Kelly, impossible question.
But as a kid,these are the guys I remember most.
I'll say this however...the most vivid image I have was as a six year old when Mike Frachia(sp)tore his knee up. I remember watching him rolling around on the field, and medical science was nothing like it is today.
Tough sight.
Musso was the best Bama football player ever in my opinion. For the time, and I'll repeat, for the time.
Howard Cosell voted for him for the Heisman. That should tell you something if you're old enough to remember Howard.
sip
I totally and wholeheartedly agree with you about Johnny Musso. I was lucky enough to be of driving age so a couple of my buddies and I would drive from Decatur to Bham on Saturdays and buy tickets from scalpers , I saw Johnny play 3 times live. I have never seen a Bama player since give it 150% like he did. It may have been seeing the tear away jersey flapping in the wind when he broke a long one or his dives into the endzone. It seems that Bryant coached teams played above the competition most of the time.

I always look to see whos wearing #22 because to me it will always belong to Johnny Musso.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I totally and wholeheartedly agree with you about Johnny Musso. I was lucky enough to be of driving age so a couple of my buddies and I would drive from Decatur to Bham on Saturdays and buy tickets from scalpers , I saw Johnny play 3 times live. I have never seen a Bama player since give it 150% like he did. It may have been seeing the tear away jersey flapping in the wind when he broke a long one or his dives into the endzone. It seems that Bryant coached teams played above the competition most of the time.

I always look to see whos wearing #22 because to me it will always belong to Johnny Musso.
He was something special. Bryant actually said, "He's the best player in college football"....which was rare indeed.

BoSox Tider

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2011
Bart Starr.
I don't remember Bart at Bama, but I was a Packer fanatic when I was a kid and he was the reason I became interested in Bama football.

As far as favorite Bama player that I actually remember playing for Bama, Steadman Shealy. Not exactly childhood, because I was a pro/Packer fan until I was in college. (I just barely remember Snake).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.