Favorite players from your childhood

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Well when I was old enough to "get" football, Bama wasn't on TV due to probation and being pretty mediocre. And when they were on it was very hard to find the game to watch because I didn't live in Alabama, didn't have TV, and no one cared to put it on at sports bar-type places. So there are not that many players that stick out to me as players I liked at that time.

I would say Tyler Watts. Brodie Croyle. Ken Darby. Tyrone Prothro.

For some reason I don't really recall Shawn Alexander, probably because I didn't get to watch the games. 2005 was the first season where I actually got to watch the majority of the season, and that was in high school.

Although I do remember talking a lot of smack on the kickball field to the Carolina kids when they went 0-11. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Oh well... most of you won't know these names: Eddie Salem, Harry Gilmer, Bart Starr, Hootie Ingram, Tommy Lewis (BOOM! How 'bout it Dickie?), LeeRoy, Bill Rice (first recruit signed by CBB; from Troy, and a good friend), and so many more. Most don't really understand the impact of Bama on college football. I've been so blessed. I guess, also, Robert E.L. Cope, my great-grandfather, on the first UA team (1892).
So...where ever I live...Roll Tide!

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
When I was running around catching balls in the backyard, I was always Joey Jones. He and DT were my childhood favorites.

Bama-Kin

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 16, 2001
Jacksonville, FL.
We lost one of our childhood favorites over the weekend...

Tommy Tolleson passed away early Monday morning. He was a member of the 1964, 1965 National Championship Teams, and President of the "A-Club"

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Wow...good thread. I don't believe I've posted yet.
My favorites from childhood would be in the 60's/early 70's..
My all time favorite player is Johnny Musso who I think is the best all around football player to ever suit up for Bama.
I loved Stabler, Perkins and Dennis Homan on the 66 team
Mike Hall was an awesome linebacker.
I respected the heck out of John Mitchell for being our first African American starter. Wilbur Jackson was an incredible running back. I always liked Willie Shelby too.
Les Kelly, quite the fullback.
There are just so many, it's almost impossible but these would definitely all make my list.
sip

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Tony Nathan, Dwight Stephenson, Johnny Musso, Ozzie Newsome, Wayne Wheeler, Woodrow Lowe, Steadman Marty Lyons, Sheely, Major Ogilvie, Barry Krauss... At some point, in somebody's back yard, I was each of these guys at least once.

I think Major Ogilvie is still the only running back in NCAA history to score a TD in four bowl games.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Bobby Humphrey, Kermit Kendrick, John Mangum, Derrick Thomas, Antonio Langham (pick six), David Palmer (Deeeeeeeeeuce!).

Also, Thomas Rayam. I was praying into a pillow when he blocked that kick. Also, he visited my elementary school, and was one cool guy.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Bobby Humphrey, Kermit Kendrick, John Mangum, Derrick Thomas, Antonio Langham (pick six), David Palmer (Deeeeeeeeeuce!).

Also, Thomas Rayam. I was praying into a pillow when he blocked that kick. Also, he visited my elementary school, and was one cool guy.
I went to a Halloween party once in the 90s and Thomas Rayam was there with his wife. They were dressed as Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Shaun Alexander's dominance was one of the first players I really followed and was old enough to really know what was going on. He's up there, as is Ken Darby.

But if it's possible to have a kicker as an all-time fave - it's Lane Bearden. "Pluck and grit" is not really something that's easy to define if anyone asks you to tell them what it is, but it's easy to show. Lane Bearden making a touchdown saving tackle vs. Auburn with a torn ACL is the very definition of pluck and grit. It was a bit like Cade Foster when he kicked off in that he wasn't just trying to push you out of bounds if you got through the other ten guys. Lane was waiting to try and take your head off and let you know that next time you should probably just get tackled by one of the other ten guys. In a time that wasn't a great one to be a Bama fan, I loved guys like Lane that gave it 100% every time out.

Wrong sport honorable mention: Ron Steele

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.