Favorite players from your childhood

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I played QB in high school and although I was a huge fan of Bobby Jackson, Joe Willie, Snake, Mal Moore, Wayne Trimble and Steve Sloan, no one was as special as Pat Trammell. Not near the athlete as Stabler or Namath, but there has never been a greater competitor or team leader at the University of Alabama. So sad cancer cut his life short at age 28. Makes me sad to think about what we lost when he passed away.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Steadman Shealy, Major Ogilvie, Joey Jones, Scott Hunter, Ozzie Newsome, EJ Junior, Benny Perrin (Got to see him play in St. Louis with the Cards)..... Just to name a few!

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii
1. Bobby Humphrey: Favorite player growing up. I wore #26 and was even given the nickname "Hump" for a year or two playing JV as a tailback. When I moved up to varsity I was very disapointed when I learned that for some strange reason #26 wasn't a number they had ordered.

2. Cornelius Bennett: Explosive, dominating.

3. Joey Jones: Somebody for all us little guys to look up to.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
A lot of great players mentioned and I love them all for the ones I can remember. I started to become interested in football in the early seventies. One player that I didn't see mentioned that I loved to watch was Leroy Cook.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Steadman Shealy, Major Ogilvie, Joey Jones, Scott Hunter, Ozzie Newsome, EJ Junior, Benny Perrin (Got to see him play in St. Louis with the Cards)..... Just to name a few!
Played against Benny in baseball and he was good at it also. Great athlete.

Last edited:
B

BroadwayJoe777

Joe was a little before my time when he played in college, but he is still my favorite all-time player. Musso is right there with him. The Wizard of OZ ranks high. Bob Baumhower, Richard Todd, Bennett and Derrick Thomas also rank up there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Major Ogilvie
Steadman Shealy
Jesse Bendross
Marco Battle
Derrick Thomas
Cornelius Bennett
Gary Hollingsworth
Van Tiffin
Kermit Kendrick
Lee Ozmint

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Johnny Musso. All time favorite player ever, bar none. I was on the earth, but too young to appreciate Lee Roy or even really Namath.

John Hannah. To this day, I love to watch the OL so much I occasionally lose track of the ball and miss a big play.

Ozzie Newsome, though I'm only three years younger, so it's hard to call it from childhood.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I played QB in high school and although I was a huge fan of Bobby Jackson, Joe Willie, Snake, Mal Moore, Wayne Trimble and Steve Sloan, no one was as special as Pat Trammell. Not near the athlete as Stabler or Namath, but there has never been a greater competitor or team leader at the University of Alabama. So sad cancer cut his life short at age 28. Makes me sad to think about what we lost when he passed away.
Yep. Thanks, JER3. Should have added his name because of the great field general that he was. Maybe the greatest we've ever had. Most of us old guys know Pat's story. So if you're too young to know or remember, CLICK here for a quick bio of this Tide legend.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I know all of us geezers remember but no one has said, Paul Crane(towel hanging off butt), Tim Bates, Gaylon McCullough, Ray Ogden, Wayne Trimble, Willie Shelby, Johnny Mosely, Cotton Clark, Steve Bowman, Jerry Duncan. The ones everyone else mentioned, plus Jay Barker, Terry Davis and Baumhauer, all my heroes.
Ray Perkins, Homan and Tommy Tolleson also.
:BigA:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Yep. Thanks, JER3. Should have added his name because of the great field general that he was. Maybe the greatest we've ever had. Most of us old guys know Pat's story. So if you're too young to know or remember, CLICK here for a quick bio of this Tide legend.
Pat would come to Foster in the evenings and watch intramural basketball. I can still visualize him sitting up on the bleacher seating which would be folded in to allow two courts across the main floor. Would sit there and chat with any and every one. Was one of the nicest and most genuine persons I ever met.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Defense - DT and Biscuit.
Offense - Deuce.

I used to love the feeling when David Palmer got the ball. It was like "what's he going to do, next". Nobody could tackle that dude - it was like the defenders had jelly legs and he would make them look silly. I don't think I could've tackled him had we been in a phone booth. Prothro was very similar to DP. Unfortunate for his injury - that guy was a complete stud. Both of them, whether they were running the ball, catching it, or fielding a punt or taking a Kickoff, were absolutely incredible to watch.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Derrick Thomas. When I started playing "pee-wee" football I chose #55. Others- Jay Barker, Derrick Lassic, pretty much the whole '92 D, and one (not so much from my childhood but one of my favorites none the less) Shaun Alexander.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Defense - DT and Biscuit.
Offense - Deuce.

I used to love the feeling when David Palmer got the ball. It was like "what's he going to do, next". Nobody could tackle that dude - it was like the defenders had jelly legs and he would make them look silly. I don't think I could've tackled him had we been in a phone booth. Prothro was very similar to DP. Unfortunate for his injury - that guy was a complete stud. Both of them, whether they were running the ball, catching it, or fielding a punt or taking a Kickoff, were absolutely incredible to watch.
The end of the 1993 ut game is the best example I can think of not being able to tackle David Palmer. Bama has scored late to pull within two points. Everyone on the field, everyone in the stadium, everyone watching on TV, and everyone listening on radio knows he is going to get the ball to tie the game. He did and he did!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.