Favorite players from your childhood

tidegrandpa

All-American
Nobody could paint such a verbal picture as John Forney...He and Doug Layton will always be the masters, growing up listening to them was something that I still relish...Eli & Phil are absolutely top notch and I'm glad that we have them, but my memories of Forney & Layton are absolutely magical.
I know I'm not the only geezer on here to recall when John Forney was Maury Farell's color man. They were a terrific pair.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=85kEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2486,150383&hl=en

Last edited:

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
When I was in jr. high I had to do a report on a career, and I chose to report on sportscasting. Forney not only replied to my letter, but arranged a lengthy phone interview. I can't remember a word of the conversation, but I have always greatly appreciated that he was so generous with his time to help me out. He could have gone on to rob banks and I'd still be hard pressed to not insist he was a class act. :)

Dick Enberg, on the other hand, very possibly may have never even seen my mailed request, but ever after resided a few notches down in my mind.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Lemanski Hall, Curry and Copeland were my favorite defenders. Of course Biscuit and Derrick Thomas were on that list too.

As for offense, it was always Siran Stacy, Bobby Humphrey and Derrick Lassic.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Derrick Lassic, Sherman Williams, Jay Barker, Toderick Malone, David Palmer, Chad Key, Tarrant Lynch, and Curtis Brown.

Lemanski Hall, John Curry, Eric Copeland, George Teague, Antonio Langham, Darrell Blackburn, Deshea Townsend, and Kevin Jackson.

Micheal Proctor and Brian Deihl.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
From the 62-67 period: Cotton Clark [loved hearing Bryant say the name], Cecil Dowdy, Lee Roy Jordan, Ray Perkins, Ken Stabler, Lee Burkart (family friend), Dennis Homan (local). There were others that I simply can't recall the names.

B

BroadwayJoe777

I know that we all have our favorite players that have played at the Capstone, some current, and some in our formative years...I thought it would be cool to see 2 or 3 of our favorites from your "growing up" years, as in childhood through high school. 2 of my 3 are pretty predictable, but the third, is not quite as commonly mentioned.
wishbonedays
Just wanted to tell you this was a great idea for a thread. Lots of great gridiron memories thinking about all the great players that have traveled through the Capstone.

I love your profile picture. Is there a place where I could get a full copy of that Musso pic?

Thanks
BJ

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
wishbonedays
Just wanted to tell you this was a great idea for a thread. Lots of great gridiron memories thinking about all the great players that have traveled through the Capstone.

I love your profile picture. Is there a place where I could get a full copy of that Musso pic?

Thanks
BJ

Just a suggestion, but if you'll google on Musso Alabama and select the images option you'll find a number of images that might be along the lines of what you want.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Thank You Kyallie..I hate it how things for Coach Shula the HC, but, it is what it is & I still have a lot of respect for the man cause he will always be a Crimson Tide legend to me..He was one helluva football player & just a fierce competitor who left it all on the football field win, lose or draw..No matter how things worked out for Coach Shula, he earned my respect, as Mike Shula the football player at Bama & he will always be in my Top 3 most favorite Bama Football Players..
I definitely like this post Steve!

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
wishbonedays

Thanks
BJ
Not a problem at all...shoot me an email and I'll give you the details...although there is a spoiler to the avatar, I found the pic at getty images, but, the watermark was still there so I used photoshop to help me work around it for the purposes of the avatar. I've been collecting Musso (and Namath) pics for years...some I've bought, some were given to me, others I've just found like everyone else...but I'm happy to share.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Steadman Shealy, Major Ogilvie, Joey Jones, Scott Hunter, Ozzie Newsome, EJ Junior, Benny Perrin (Got to see him play in St. Louis with the Cards)..... Just to name a few!
Benny wasn't playing during my childhood but he is one of my picks...He grew up in Decatur, and is living proof that being from Decatur is not a big handicap...that's an unfair tag Rolando stuck us with.

Whirleybird

Scout Team
Oct 23, 2004
One of my favorites was Major Olgilvie. I cut off a few shirts back in my day to pretend to be like him running the ball!

Tony Nathan was another favorite!

E.J. Junior was another...got his autograph when I was about 7 or 8 years old.
Did you know one of your favorites (Tony Nathan) received his degree at the last commencement ? Way to go Tony !

Here is a link where I found his name. The author didn't even recognize Tony. I must be getting really old.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/list_of_graduating_alabama_athletes.html

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Been a lot of years since my parents introduced me Bama football so I have a lot of favorites, some of them great players and some not. Here's a few of them:
Harry Gilmer - I was 10 when he was a senior. For four years I saw him on the sports reels at the theatre just about every week end during the season. A star at left half in the Notre Dame box and as a DB, punter, kick and punt returner. The jump pass had a lot of kids being Harry Gilmer in the back yard.
Bobby Marlowe - just a helluva running back. Two pretty fair country coaches (Bobby Dodd and Shug Jordan) stated publicly that he was the best they ever saw. One mean SoB.
Lee Roy Jordan - the most intense football player I've ever seen in over 70 years of watching football. Met him in school and a few times over the years, a damn nice guy.
Billy Neighbors - a friend and a tough ball player to boot. Was awfully good to my kids, so that was a plus for him also.
Bobby Jackson - knew him from high school, wasted career at Bama until his senior year when Coach Bryant took over. Had a friend back then that stated that what he hated about Jackson was you had to listen to him tell you how good he was all week and then see him prove it on Friday night.
Pat Trammell - stone cold winner and an easy guy to have a beer with.
Cornelius Bennett - to watch him play was to love him, a supreme athlete and competitor
Murray Hill - too many other great backs on the team at the time for him to star, but the guy could run through a bed of flowers without bruising a petal. Had that fourth gear with a vengeance too.
There are so many more that I could go on for pages and pages, but these are just a few of my very favorites.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Benny wasn't playing during my childhood but he is one of my picks...He grew up in Decatur, and is living proof that being from Decatur is not a big handicap...that's an unfair tag Rolando stuck us with.
I totally agree Morgan County has provided Bama with some great players over the years. I remember watching Bennie play at DHS, I went to MCHS at the time so we had Les Fowler DB and Roger Chapman K, that were also from Morgan County. BB Perrins is a great BBQ restaurant that Bennie owns. But Big Bob Gibsons is the best in the country .

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Well, you asked...Harry Gilmer, Bobby Marlow, Eddie Salem. Those come to mind immediately, but I'm 74. Others will be remembered later, I'm sure, and I'll update. Roll Tide!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.