Today is Earth Day. Cherish The Planet We Live On.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Each year, Earth Day -- April 22 -- marks the anniversary of what many consider the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.

http://www.earthday.org/earth-day-history-movement

Earth Day broadens the base of support for environmental programs, rekindles public commitment and builds community activism around the world through a broad range of events and activities. Earth Day is the largest civic event in the world, celebrated simultaneously around the globe by people of all backgrounds, faiths and nationalities. More than a billion people participate in our campaigns every year.

Let's all treat our Mother Earth with love and respect.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Mr. Burns

Oooh, so Mother Nature needs a favor?! Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys! Nature started the fight for survival, and now she wants to quit because she’s losing. Well I say ‘hard cheese.’

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thank you, Seebell.....excellent post!

At the bank today I was handed a packet of "Money Tree" seeds in honor of Earth Day.

Even corporations understand the significance of the day.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Who gives a crap? Cue up George Carlin's "saving the planet" and enjoy. I can't link due to language.

I don't think we ought to just litter or put hazardous waste in the ocean but really.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Who gives a crap? Cue up George Carlin's "saving the planet" and enjoy. I can't link due to language.

I don't think we ought to just litter or put hazardous waste in the ocean but really.
That's a real good start selma!! Why pretty soon you'll be powering your house with a bicycle driven generator.:biggrin:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I do. This is our only home. Only makes sense to take care of it. I'm guessing that you may not have any kids.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Nothing is changing?!

Sorry, I don't buy it. I don't buy that we can do whatever we want either.

I am bothered that the "solutions" of the past have often given us new problems (plastic bags and containers save trees and cause less fuel to be used because they weigh less than glass).

I hate that this day has become so much about one unsettled issue instead of taking small steps daily to keep a clean environment.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I do. This is our only home. Only makes sense to take care of it. I'm guessing that you may not have any kids.
If we're talking not littering (for example - that was a big thing in the 70s with the crying Indian and Woodsy the Owl) or just cranking out chemicals into water - I agree. That's a public common sense thing.

If we're talking about, "You should feel guilty for using an air conditioner/gas guzzler car that's causing global warming" - I don't.

When the screamers themselves are living a monk-like existence and eating berries out somewhere rather than out of one side saying the planet is dying and out the other run up a $29,000 power bill for one month......they can talk to me.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
If we're talking not littering (for example - that was a big thing in the 70s with the crying Indian and Woodsy the Owl) or just cranking out chemicals into water - I agree. That's a public common sense thing.

If we're talking about, "You should feel guilty for using an air conditioner/gas guzzler car that's causing global warming" - I don't.

When the screamers themselves are living a monk-like existence and eating berries out somewhere rather than out of one side saying the planet is dying and out the other run up a $29,000 power bill for one month......they can talk to me.
Agreed

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Funny story I think so anyway. A friend of mine was telling me a story about whenever they were fixing the Beltline a year or two ago that he saw a big suburban pull up. It was an EPA vehicle. Hehe. I'm thinking they should be driving something electric that gets 80 MPG. :)

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I am respectful of the environment. I don't litter and conserve energy when I can, within reason.
Many of the same people who make fun of Michele Bachman (I don't agree with her on this) for predicting the hurry to the end of the world because of evil, believe we will destroy the earth because we cause "global warming." Or is it "climate change?" Other terms used to scaremonger are peak oil, peak water, extreme drought, super storms, and polar vortex. I see little difference in these beliefs.
Just as TideEnginer08 said on the thread about religious zealots, only God knows when the earth will end. Only He controls that and the climate. No man or government can change either and the attempts to take your money and freedom for this should be seen for the theft and power grabs they are.
To celebrate Earth Day I thank God for the beauty he has put all around us. We should be respectful of those gifts and mindful that He holds the power over all the earth. "As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease." Genesis 8:22

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look, I was in the Boy Scouts, and I actually go hold to the general principle of "leave something better than you found it." Good concept and (at least somewhat) selfless.

"You should feel ashamed because you used chemical X that over thousands of years can cause circumstance Y" - sorry, I don't. These same folks are the ones telling me the earth has been here for billions of years and evolved and adjusted.......but somehow I'm gonna destroy it because I eat beef and pass gas afterwards? So the earth adjusted to all those meteors hitting it but my eating habits are going to destroy it?

And yes, these folks aren't really all that much different than Bachman's "Jeez-us is coming" paradigm - well, except they'll actually try to say "the science shows" with the weasel words of "at the current rate" - because things don't just continue on unbroken paths of ascent for the most part.

Celebrate it if you wish - I could care less because that form of environmentalism is every bit the religion other religions are.

Edited to add: the one obvious way man could easily destroy the planet? Nuclear war.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Look, I was in the Boy Scouts, and I actually go hold to the general principle of "leave something better than you found it." Good concept and (at least somewhat) selfless.

"You should feel ashamed because you used chemical X that over thousands of years can cause circumstance Y" - sorry, I don't. These same folks are the ones telling me the earth has been here for billions of years and evolved and adjusted.......but somehow I'm gonna destroy it because I eat beef and pass gas afterwards? So the earth adjusted to all those meteors hitting it but my eating habits are going to destroy it?

And yes, these folks aren't really all that much different than Bachman's "Jeez-us is coming" paradigm - well, except they'll actually try to say "the science shows" with the weasel words of "at the current rate" - because things don't just continue on unbroken paths of ascent for the most part.

Celebrate it if you wish - I could care less because that form of environmentalism is every bit the religion other religions are.

Edited to add: the one obvious way man could easily destroy the planet? Nuclear war.
Ya'll buncha party poopers are thinking too globally! Think local. Think simple. Pick up some trash and re-cycle that huge mound of beer cans. Start a compost pile.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/04/21/easy-ways-to-go-green

At work

• Designate someone to turn off all lights and equipment at the end of the work day.
Print only what you need — and use two-sided printing and copying.
Recycle paper products, batteries and used printer cartridges.
Donate used equipment to schools or other organizations.
Reuse file folders by sticking new labels over old ones, or fold files in the reverse direction.

Just for you Dyznking. Toxic smell well? Body odor is natural you know!

http://www.achooallergy.com/article-toxic-chemicals.asp

http://listcrux.com/top10-reasons-deodarants-bad-environment/

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.