Medical Marijuana in Alabama passes Senate Panel

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Would you be OK then moving marijuana to a schedule 2 or lower drug?

http://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml
I'd be OK with moving marijuana to schedule II. Would you be OK with moving tobacco to schedule I and alcohol to schedule II?

The only reason alcohol and tobacco are "legal" is because of the public's love affair with them. I'm not convinced that it's right to raise money by taxing the public's weakness. More than half of my patients use some form of tobacco. Taxing them and having "smoke free" zones isn't working in Milan, TN. Therefore, IMO, the only argument for marijuana is from a medical standpoint.

I don't smoke pot. I am, however, strongly opposed to making criminals out the majority of the American public. It should be treated the same way alcohol is.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It's not the scheduling that's my concern. I have no problem with those who truly need it for medical purposes having a legal source for it. My concern is Alabama becoming another California, where every long haired, pierced and tattooed freak show in the state has a medical marijuana license and a grow house in his basement.
Because they harm you how?
My feelings, opinions and reasons for them on the subject are well documented in other threads. So I won't go there, search if you want.

I have NO problems with marijuana or any other drug being prescribed and distributed just like any other useful drug. What concerns me is Alabama turning into what is happening everywhere this has been tried. Yes there is harm to our society when there are vendors skirting around abusing the medical purposes. I do not want them in my community, next door to my home and business, or easily available to my children and grandchildren. I have seen and experienced too much in communities where it was to ever be convinced otherwise.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Yes there is harm to our society when there are vendors skirting around abusing the medical purposes. I do not want them in my community, next door to my home and business, or easily available to my children and grandchildren. I have seen and experienced too much in communities where it was to ever be convinced otherwise.
If you really believed what is in bold, you'd be for ending prohibition. Anyone who thinks keeping it illegal makes it harder for kids to buy are just sticking their heads in the sand. I'd much rather it be sold in state regulated stores. You think the local drug dealer asks for ID when he sales to a kid?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
If you really believed what is in bold, you'd be for ending prohibition. Anyone who thinks keeping it illegal makes it harder for kids to buy are just sticking their heads in the sand. I'd much rather it be sold in state regulated stores. You think the local drug dealer asks for ID when he sales to a kid?
It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we still had prohibition. I moved to where I live now to get away from alcohol sales on every corner due to my own problems with it. It was a dry county. Unfortunately constant and repeated votes eventually changed that. Now I have to fight my urges every time I walk into a convenience store. There is no difference in the two for me. I know how difficult it is for people who have addiction problems to deal with those addictions when they are constantly bombarded with temptations.

No drug dealers do not ask for IDs. I used to live with some. While it may not be a lot more difficult, it is more difficult. That is not the point. I don't want inebriating one self accepted in any way shape or form.

I don't think people are inherently bad because they drink or smoke. It is just generally a bad decision, that can have life alerting and ending consequences. Again, some of my experiences are well documented in other threads.

My head is fully above the sand.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd be OK with moving marijuana to schedule II. Would you be OK with moving tobacco to schedule I and alcohol to schedule II?

The only reason alcohol and tobacco are "legal" is because of the public's love affair with them. I'm not convinced that it's right to raise money by taxing the public's weakness. More than half of my patients use some form of tobacco. Taxing them and having "smoke free" zones isn't working in Milan, TN. Therefore, IMO, the only argument for marijuana is from a medical standpoint.

I don't smoke pot. I am, however, strongly opposed to making criminals out the majority of the American public. It should be treated the same way alcohol is.
That's a very high percentage of tobacco usage, even for the South...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
That's a very high percentage of tobacco usage, even for the South...
I don't have exact figures, I just know from examination. It's hard to hide tobacco usage from a dentist. Chewers and dippers have a white lesion where they hold the tobacco and smokers have stained teeth.

It's not unusual to extract a tooth for a tobacco user and not see enough blood to fill the socket. They have a lot more complications than non-users.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't have exact figures, I just know from examination. It's hard to hide tobacco usage from a dentist. Chewers and dippers have a white lesion where they hold the tobacco and smokers have stained teeth.

It's not unusual to extract a tooth for a tobacco user and not see enough blood to fill the socket. They have a lot more complications than non-users.
Well, you're correct. Tennessee is higher than Alabama. LINK However, it's lower than your estimates, but they may be lying to the CDC and they can't to you... :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Do they just have a higher clotting rate?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Do they just have a higher clotting rate?
Less peripheral venous circulation.

Some smokers will have normal looking gingiva (gum tissue) when in fact they have periodontal disease diagnosed by bone loss. In a non-smoker with the same amount of perio disease the tissue will be more swollen, red, and bleeds easily.

I had a lady in the office last week who told me that she and her husband spend $150 per week on tobacco. She had to have her tooth pulled because she couldn't afford to get it fixed.

I just don't get smoking in this day and age. At least marijuana and alcohol have some recreational value. But smoking???

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Some smokers will have normal looking gingiva (gum tissue) when in fact they have periodontal disease diagnosed by bone loss. In a non-smoker with the same amount of perio disease the tissue will be more swollen, red, and bleeds easily.

I had a lady in the office last week who told me that she and her husband spend $150 per week on tobacco. She had to have her tooth pulled because she couldn't afford to get it fixed.

I just don't get smoking in this day and age. At least marijuana and alcohol have some recreational value. But smoking???
Ah, I understand. Wow, not enough blood to swell. My ex's uncles all had the leather skin from smoking and all of them had PAD. OTOH, they all worked in the furnaces. They all died of CVD. BTW, on the smoking, some research shows the addiction to be worse than even heroin...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I checked my memory and went back and looked. In addition, smokers have "sticky" platelets, so it's a double whammy. Having to spend two years on anti-platelets, I'm very conscious of bleeding rate. What I didn't know was that a compound I take for prostate - diidolylmethane (DIM) has the same clotting inhibition rate as Plavix. It even works on the same platelet receptor. Found that out in a heart cath lab. They thought I was still taking Plavix - the target was 209 and I was at 208, so I had been on a double dose. What I'm working around to is a recommendation. I haven't smoked cigarettes in many years (1964), but If I were still a smoker, I'd be taking DIM. For one thing, if you're male, with a normal testosterone level, you're going to have BPH (benign prostate hypertrophy) sooner or later. If you have high testosterone (you know who you are :D), you will have BPH sooner, so why not start now? The compound is the distillation of the end product of cruciferous vegetables. Think about it as eating a pound of broccoli a day. You get the side effect of counteracting the changes made to your platelets by smoking. I have no connection with the company, but I use Bioresponse.com, out of Col. Spgs., because their product is enteric-coated for more bang for the buck. You can also buy their products through Amazon...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I checked my memory and went back and looked. In addition, smokers have "sticky" platelets, so it's a double whammy. Having to spend two years on anti-platelets, I'm very conscious of bleeding rate. What I didn't know was that a compound I take for prostate - diidolylmethane (DIM) has the same clotting inhibition rate as Plavix. It even works on the same platelet receptor. Found that out in a heart cath lab. They thought I was still taking Plavix - the target was 209 and I was at 208, so I had been on a double dose. What I'm working around to is a recommendation. I haven't smoked cigarettes in many years (1964), but If I were still a smoker, I'd be taking DIM. For one thing, if you're male, with a normal testosterone level, you're going to have BPH (benign prostate hypertrophy) sooner or later. If you have high testosterone (you know who you are :D), you will have BPH sooner, so why not start now? The compound is the distillation of the end product of cruciferous vegetables. Think about it as eating a pound of broccoli a day. You get the side effect of counteracting the changes made to your platelets by smoking. I have no connection with the company, but I use Bioresponse.com, out of Col. Spgs., because their product is enteric-coated for more bang for the buck. You can also buy their products through Amazon...
Sounds like good advice. I ordered the 150's.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We need it IMHO. I know a LOT of people that would try marijuana to see if it would help with the chronic pain they suffer from. Why not let them try it? It would be a safer alternative than the drugs they push these days.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I had a lady in the office last week who told me that she and her husband spend $150 per week on tobacco. She had to have her tooth pulled because she couldn't afford to get it fixed
Just wait until we catch up to the North in taxed cigs, when I went and worked the Nemo Blizzard of 2013 I walked from my hotel to CVS in Providence Rhode Island and looked at cigs (I'm an ex-smoker and don't care to start back) and they were $10.52 a pack then (2/2013). It won't be long and they'll be that price here too (not that I care).

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
It's not the scheduling that's my concern. I have no problem with those who truly need it for medical purposes having a legal source for it. My concern is Alabama becoming another California, where every long haired, pierced and tattooed freak show in the state has a medical marijuana license and a grow house in his basement.
Recently I learn the Bandido's MC club has a club (offically or unoffically) in my neck of the woods. (Prattville/Wetumpka). So you might be too off on "Alabama becoming another California" concern.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Recently I learn the Bandido's MC club has a club (offically or unoffically) in my neck of the woods. (Prattville/Wetumpka). So you might be too off on "Alabama becoming another California" concern.
They were (maybe still are...?) a fixture here along the GC for many years - no chance we were ever "going Californian".....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.