Addiction: disease or choice?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So I have a close family member that had to go into rehab last week for alcohol abuse. Anyway, they have the family members come in for counseling, and they teach that addiction is a disease. My mother believes it is because of what they told her in counseling and the books and stories the folks told in the meetings. Regardless, I hope this family member gets their life back on track. In my research I've found many articles against labeling addiction a disease, but who knows.

I know I've read about some on here that have had problems with alcohol so I'm just curious what the consensus is about it. Might make for a lively discussion. :)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I was an alcoholic. Drunk every day for 15 years. Seems like there is a gene that predisposes a person to alcoholism. I think the disease model works best.
I thank my university days for my alcohol abuse. Never touched a drop till then. I made a choice of some kind to start but I couldn't seem to make the choice to stop.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...W55HeQ8qRTgUvzdtJZLsLkqqHzn5-Pq5wS51JLT4xfZwA

Why do some people become addicted to alcohol and drugs and others do not?
Whether a person decides to use alcohol or drugs is a choice, influenced by their environment--peers, family, and availability. But, once a person uses alcohol or drugs, the risk of developing alcoholism or drug dependence is largely influenced by genetics. Alcoholism and drug dependence are not moral issues, are not a matter of choice or a lack of willpower. Plain and simple, some people’s bodies respond to the effects of alcohol and drugs differently.

FACT: The single most reliable indicator of risk for future alcohol and drug problems is FAMILY HISTORY.

Research has shown conclusively that family history of alcoholism or drug addiction is in part genetic and not just the result of the family environment. And, millions of Americans are living proof, based on personal, firsthand experience, that alcoholism and drug addiction run in families.
Plain and simple, alcoholism and drug dependence run in families.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20040526/researchers-identify-alcoholism-gene

May 26, 2004 -- A new study links a gene to alcohol addiction -- backing up a long-recognized pattern showing that alcoholism runs in families.​
The finding also provides evidence that an inborn high level of anxietyis part of this picture. The study appears in this week's issue of theJournal of Neuroscience.​
Research has shown that alcohol addiction is a complex disease, with both genetics and a tendency toward anxiety playing "crucial roles," writes researcher Subhash C. Pandey, PhD, a psychiatrist with the University of Illinois at Chicago.

http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/alcohol-addiction/disease-theory-alcoholism/

Alcoholism as a Disease

Toward the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, addicts were often viewed as morally wrong and even shunned as being bad people or sinners. This type of thinking led many physicians of the time to fight to change common perceptions and try to help addicts instead of punish them. The formation of AA – Alcoholics Anonymous – in the 1930s and the publication of noted psychiatrist and Director of the Center of Alcohol Studies at Yale Medical School E. M. Jellinek’s famous book defining the concept of alcoholism as a medical disease facilitated moving alcoholism into a different light.

I am recognized here on TS as gigantically intelligent!! Imagine if I hadn't killed all those brain cells!
:biggrin:

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I can't say that I'm sure, and I don't know that it matters. It's a bear to overcome, I know that. And so many lose. I've become more empathetic as I've aged and watched. The initial choice is a choice but nobody knows the response. Besides - you CAN be addicted to sex (with midget trannies for that matter), food, and other things.

However.....nobody feels sorry for a "food addict," they're just fatsos, you know? (My only point is that we're selective about what we want to see as problematic). And surely nobody feels sorry for a sex addict. Maybe......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was an alcoholic. Drunk every day for 15 years. Seems like there is a gene that predisposes a person to alcoholism. I think the disease model works best.
I thank my university days for my alcohol abuse. Never touched a drop till then. I made a choice of some kind to start but I couldn't seem to make the choice to stop.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...W55HeQ8qRTgUvzdtJZLsLkqqHzn5-Pq5wS51JLT4xfZwA

Why do some people become addicted to alcohol and drugs and others do not?
Whether a person decides to use alcohol or drugs is a choice, influenced by their environment--peers, family, and availability. But, once a person uses alcohol or drugs, the risk of developing alcoholism or drug dependence is largely influenced by genetics. Alcoholism and drug dependence are not moral issues, are not a matter of choice or a lack of willpower. Plain and simple, some people’s bodies respond to the effects of alcohol and drugs differently.

FACT: The single most reliable indicator of risk for future alcohol and drug problems is FAMILY HISTORY.

Research has shown conclusively that family history of alcoholism or drug addiction is in part genetic and not just the result of the family environment. And, millions of Americans are living proof, based on personal, firsthand experience, that alcoholism and drug addiction run in families.
Plain and simple, alcoholism and drug dependence run in families.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20040526/researchers-identify-alcoholism-gene

May 26, 2004 -- A new study links a gene to alcohol addiction -- backing up a long-recognized pattern showing that alcoholism runs in families.​
The finding also provides evidence that an inborn high level of anxietyis part of this picture. The study appears in this week's issue of theJournal of Neuroscience.​
Research has shown that alcohol addiction is a complex disease, with both genetics and a tendency toward anxiety playing "crucial roles," writes researcher Subhash C. Pandey, PhD, a psychiatrist with the University of Illinois at Chicago.

http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/alcohol-addiction/disease-theory-alcoholism/

Alcoholism as a Disease

Toward the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, addicts were often viewed as morally wrong and even shunned as being bad people or sinners. This type of thinking led many physicians of the time to fight to change common perceptions and try to help addicts instead of punish them. The formation of AA – Alcoholics Anonymous – in the 1930s and the publication of noted psychiatrist and Director of the Center of Alcohol Studies at Yale Medical School E. M. Jellinek’s famous book defining the concept of alcoholism as a medical disease facilitated moving alcoholism into a different light.

I am recognized here on TS as gigantically intelligent!! Imagine if I hadn't killed all those brain cells!
:biggrin:
Yeah, you would have typed TF rather than TS for starters.

:)

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Well my thinking is if every addiction is considered a disease then me really looking forward to what I'm going to eat for lunch when it is 8 in the morning and I haven't even had breakfast yet, doesn't seem like a disease to me. It is me really liking food aka addiction. Why doesn't the same simple scenario apply to mind altering substances? I don't consider what I have a disease. People wouldn't classify that as a disease.

My mind seems to think everything is black or white, good or evil. My mom thinks it isn't as simple as that, but I am young and still stupid enough so who knows. ;)

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So a question in my argument on the gene thing is does it just apply to alcoholics or drug abusers? Like my coworker and his wife both smoke. That doesn't mean his daughter is predisposed to smoking, correct?

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Alcoholic is different then meth or crack I think. I believe that alcohol is a disease because you can see it run in certain families. A very good friend of mind is very addicted to alcohol. His father never drink alcohol but his uncle and grandfather were very bad alcoholics. His brother is also an alcoholic.
The proof is in the pudding. Not an expert but just how I feel.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Alcoholic is different then meth or crack I think. I believe that alcohol is a disease because you can see it run in certain families. A very good friend of mind is very addicted to alcohol. His father never drink alcohol but his uncle and grandfather were very bad alcoholics. His brother is also an alcoholic.
The proof is in the pudding. Not an expert but just how I feel.

So when does it become a choice of what you put into your body? Hope this question doesn't make you mad. I'm just trying to understand because my mother has said the same thing.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Well my thinking is if every addiction is considered a disease then me really looking forward to what I'm going to eat for lunch when it is 8 in the morning and I haven't even had breakfast yet, doesn't seem like a disease to me. It is me really liking food aka addiction. Why doesn't the same simple scenario apply to mind altering substances? I don't consider what I have a disease. People wouldn't classify that as a disease.

My mind seems to think everything is black or white, good or evil. My mom thinks it isn't as simple as that, but I am young and still stupid enough so who knows. ;)
You might find this interesting Jessica. http://www.tgorski.com/gorski_articles/disease_model_of_addiction_010704.htm

Addiction/disease involves or causes physical changes in the body. The disease model enables the addiction to be treated as a health-physical or mental-problem.
Things are rarely just black and white. A lot of shades of gray in between. Maybe 50 shades of gray?:)

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
There are good points that can be made for both opinions. I agree some are more drawn to substances than others but it must be a choice or no one could make the choice to stop. No one is cured from a disease by simply choosing to be without action. No one makes the decision to become an addict or alcoholic, they believe they can control their urges. How do some people avoid it while others do not? Good question.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.