LSU filing for bankruptcy? Looks likely!

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Wow, not sure what this means but the article makes it sound like programs will be cut, scholarships revoked, as well as staff layoffs.

Doubt anything happens to their football program, the one thing that actually makes money down there.

President F. King Alexander announced Wednesday that staff is drawing up paperwork for financial exigency, a move that paves the way for Louisiana’s flagship university to begin the loathsome task of laying off tenured professors, shuttering academic programs and making other painful cost-cutting moves.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is all about politics and has little/nothing to do with the university itself. Every state university requires funding from the state in which it operates. If the state is forced to reduce that funding, the school has to make cutbacks. One way to manage that is to file bankruptcy to ease staff/academic cutbacks but defaulting on debt.

This really has nothing to do with football. I suspect that LSU's football program will be fine unless they lose athletes because of the academic cutbacks.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
This is all about politics and has little/nothing to do with the university itself. Every state university requires funding from the state in which it operates. If the state is forced to reduce that funding, the school has to make cutbacks. One way to manage that is to file bankruptcy to ease staff/academic cutbacks but defaulting on debt.

This really has nothing to do with football. I suspect that LSU's football program will be fine unless they lose athletes because of the academic cutbacks.
Some coach will find a way to use this against LSU on the recruiting trail.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Which begs the question: How many parents willingly pay tens of thousands of dollars to send their kids to college to get an education vs. those who willingly spend that money so their kid can play sports?

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
While their athletic department is successful and solvent, would cutting academic programs and faculty have an impact on the sports programs since they are called student-athletes?

What is really concerning is thst their State constitution only allows for education and healthcare to be cut from the budget. The fact that Moody's had lowered their rating makes this motr than political posturing. Would yhis financial situation trigger SACS to get involved?

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
"Students, especially incoming freshmen who have offers from out-of-state colleges, will start bailing out, too, as it increasingly appears there could be no fall semester at the state’s flagship university."

I would imagine they will take care of the problem. But if this happens I doubt they would be allowed to field a football team. The players would not be active students. I can't imagine the state letting that happen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.