Link: Interesting take on Bama QBs from SDS...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think Allie has this one up yet. I like a lot of his thinking, but I'm not sure we can take the risk of freshman mistakes. Of course, Miller, if his arm is OK, could do the same things...

LINK

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don't think Allie has this one up yet. I like a lot of his thinking, but I'm not sure we can take the risk of freshman mistakes. Of course, Miller, if his arm is OK, could do the same things...

LINK
What I saw from Barnett at A-Day was lots of potential, solid athleticism/escapability, but substantial room to grow in terms of judgment and knowledge of the system.
It would not be impossible for him to be ready by September, but I would not bet my paycheck on that happening.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The video they showed of Coker throwing ball was interesting. Coker needs to work on his quick throwing game this summer.

Barnett looked good but I really think He'll struggle throughout the season. He needs to gain 10 to 20 pounds and Get better. I can See Barnett moving up to no. 2 by October... I can't see him starting this fall. Can he do 2 minutes drill against A and M, Georgia, Miss State and Auburn on the road?

LINK

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I'm sure it may have just been the A-Day game situation overall, but I wasn't impressed with any of our QB's. Of course, I wasn't impressed with Blake Sims last spring and he had a great year. Somehow, our coaches seem to get everybody on the same page by the end of August. I believe somebody will step up at QB before the Wisconsin game.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The thing with Coker is he just doesn't look comfortable or natural playing the position. If the first read is covered should be vey easy to dump it off to your outlet receiver. He hesitates just about every time..

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
The thing with Coker is he just doesn't look comfortable or natural playing the position. If the first read is covered should be vey easy to dump it off to your outlet receiver. He hesitates just about every time..
he has a little of Brodie Croyle disease.....it's hard for him to turn the cannon off on the dump offs. It's almost like a pitcher that can't throw to 1st base.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Agreed. Although Coker probably has the stronger arm he just doesn't seem to translate that to the field efficiently and/or consistently. This is the main reason I think Cornwell will eventually emerge as the starter this fall. He seems fit our base offense better for now. Barnett could probably push the starting line up next year, but not likely this year. Once again, time will tell and many of us are going to be surprised come September.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think we are much more likely to see Cornwell before we see Barnett this year. I think he has a very bright future, but he still has lots of room to grow before he is ready (physically and mentally) for the SEC.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
The way the recievers looked, I think whoever gets the job at QB is going to get a lot of help. Also, the O Line is going to be back to Alabama standards. Don't let me forget the RB's Henry & Drake will try to out do one another but boy I'm gonna miss Nudie.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree, and it also looks like he winds up prior to release which slows down the delivery.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think Barnett is the QB of the future in Tuscaloosa or sure but he's pretty much a 6 ft. 5 in. bean pole right now. I think a year in the program and getting more strength and muscle on him will make a big difference. I say don't rush him out there and get him killed.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I tell you Cokers tendency to hesitate was perfectly documented in this excellent article. It's been his achilles heel since arriving at Bama, but last year we thought it was because he didn't know the system. Now, we know it's just him.

He may end up being our starter this year, but not unless he somehow gets this out of his system.

Now, as for Barnett, I see the potential this guy sees too, especially in running the Kiffen fast paced, short throw offense. However, I just don't know if he's ready this fast.

Kiffen can work wonders with qbs and if Scott Chochran can put about 15-20 pounds on Barnett between now and fall that would help.

But I agree with those that said Cornwell is the one to watch lurking back in the shadows.

It'll be fun to see what happens.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He may end up being our starter this year, but not unless he somehow gets this out of his system.

or none of the other guys step up and take it from him.

Now, as for Barnett, I see the potential this guy sees too, especially in running the Kiffen fast paced, short throw offense. However, I just don't know if he's ready this fast.

Maybe he is maybe he isnt. I just think he is too tiny. He is going to have to put on weight, and with weight people usually get slower so we ll have to see how much that affects him on his game.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Blake Barnett is the quarterback of the future not 2015. I think it would be a monumental mistake to roll the dice with a true freshman. He is extremely talented but no more so than Coker, Bateman or Cornwell. We need only settle on 2 guys and get them the reps so they can improve. Blake's time will come.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The way the recievers looked, I think whoever gets the job at QB is going to get a lot of help. Also, the O Line is going to be back to Alabama standards. Don't let me forget the RB's Henry & Drake will try to out do one another but boy I'm gonna miss Nudie.
Your point about Nudie is well taken...

I agree that we're gong to miss him.

On many levels...

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
I have a feeling Coker won't be our starting QB come fall. I'd be more comfortable with Cornwell or Barnett. Unless Coker gets better at reading the defense and getting the ball our quicker he won't ever start

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My thoughts:

Barnett looks very talented, but asking him to start this fall is a tall order.

Coker and Cornwell don't seem very far apart at this time.

Morris could be a serviceable backup.

Bateman may not have looked as bad as the stats suggest.

After last spring game Blake Sims got help with his mechanics, which were fundamentally flawed. That and a lot of study and practice helped his confidence a LOT.

Whoever masters the fundamentals of quarterbacking an offense best over the next few months will be the starter. Arm strength will not be the deciding factor. Athleticism will not be the deciding factor. Consistency in making the right decisions and getting the ball where it needs to be (taking what the defense gives you) as well as showing leadership will be the deciding factors.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.