Link: Interesting take on Bama QBs from SDS...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My opinion is I want the QB who is going to win us a championship and I think Coker is the guy. If you want to play a guy just to get experience and be the starter for the next 2-3 years you are thinking wrong IMO.
But you are taking my comment "out of context." I'd never want us to play a young qb just to get experience to win later IF we had a qb that could win a championship THIS YEAR. Nobody here wants that.

The point about playing a younger qb only applies if the older qb hasn't seperated himself. Blake did it last year. Will Coker do it this year???

It's really simple a simple opinion. If you don't agree that's fine. But don't act like anybody would prefer a young qb getting experience over a championship with a one year starter. It's not that simple.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The point about playing a younger qb only applies if the older qb hasn't seperated himself. Blake did it last year.
But Blake didn't separate himself before the first game. Will Coker be able to separate himself before the first game, or will we see two quarterbacks in the first game again (not due to mop-up duty)?

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I guess I watched a different spring game. already coker has weaknesses that the team cant overcome, but, we can put our trust in a group of qbs that have even less experience. with our solid defense, off line, running backs, receivers, I see coker as the starter. he has a rifle arm, and I did not see the slow progressions many of you did. he did not get rushed, and looked plays wide, short and deep. he is definitely better fitted to lead this team, this year over the guys we have in wings.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I guess I watched a different spring game. already coker has weaknesses that the team cant overcome, but, we can put our trust in a group of qbs that have even less experience. with our solid defense, off line, running backs, receivers, I see coker as the starter. he has a rifle arm, and I did not see the slow progressions many of you did. he did not get rushed, and looked plays wide, short and deep. he is definitely better fitted to lead this team, this year over the guys we have in wings.
If you didn't see the slow progressions click the link in the OP..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
But you are taking my comment "out of context." I'd never want us to play a young qb just to get experience to win later IF we had a qb that could win a championship THIS YEAR. Nobody here wants that.

The point about playing a younger qb only applies if the older qb hasn't seperated himself. Blake did it last year. Will Coker do it this year???

It's really simple a simple opinion. If you don't agree that's fine. But don't act like anybody would prefer a young qb getting experience over a championship with a one year starter. It's not that simple.
Everyone wants to win this year. Force's point is not to urinate 2015 away for the younger guy because he's younger. But that if two QBs give you an equal chance to win a championship in 2015, the youngster wins the tie-breaker by virtue of being able to return his experience in 2016 instead of having to start the QB battle all over again
This sums up my thought process on the QB situation..

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you didn't see the slow progressions click the link in the OP..
Someone really needs to compile a video for each qbs passes, because this makes bb look like superman and Coker like a super fan. Bb wasn't as great as those videos try to make it and Coker wasn't all bad. Idk who is going to be qb or the thought process of the coaches, and neither does anyone else . Everyone is entitled to their opinion

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Someone really needs to compile a video for each qbs passes, because this makes bb look like superman and Coker like a super fan. Bb wasn't as great as those videos try to make it and Coker wasn't all bad. Idk who is going to be qb or the thought process of the coaches, and neither does anyone else . Everyone is entitled to their opinion
I agree it was a small sample size but the slow progressions have been a knock on Coker for over a year now. Those were just the latest examples. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, who has said otherwise?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm going to do someting stupid here, and predict one simple thing.
If it doesn't come true, the world will not end, and the football season will still begin.
I'm going to predict that, barring injury, Nick Saban will give Jacob Coker the chance to start one game at Bama, and I'll predict that it will be our opening game against Wisconsin.
I'm sure I'm probably wrong, I was idiotic enough to predict that Coach Saban would give Blake Sims one start at QB last year, because he was a fifth year senior who had stuck with the program.
But, for whatever reason, I have just have the same "Gut Feeling", that Coach Saban is going to reward Coker for taking the chance of transferring from FSU when he would have been the heir apparent to Jameis Winston.
I guess we'll just wait and see.
sip

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm going to do someting stupid here, and predict one simple thing.
If it doesn't come true, the world will not end, and the football season will still begin.
I'm going to predict that, barring injury, Nick Saban will give Jacob Coker the chance to start one game at Bama, and I'll predict that it will be our opening game against Wisconsin.
I'm sure I'm probably wrong, I was idiotic enough to predict that Coach Saban would give Blake Sims one start at QB last year, because he was a fifth year senior who had stuck with the program.
But, for whatever reason, I have just have the same "Gut Feeling", that Coach Saban is going to reward Coker for taking the chance of transferring from FSU when he would have been the heir apparent to Jameis Winston.
I guess we'll just wait and see.
sip
Not a "stupid" prediction at all. Probably the safest guess anyone could make based on what we saw at the A-day game with Coker starting and getting the most reps with the #1s. However, if that's the case I hope it's not because of the reason you cited. I hope it's because Coker is the most "game ready." JMO.

This has been a good thread IMO and that's because there has been a good discussion. It is always interesting to me how there are differing opinions even though we all had the opportunity to see the same thing during the A-day game. But that is what makes a message/discussion boards interesting.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Not a "stupid" prediction at all. Probably the safest guess anyone could make based on what we saw at the A-day game with Coker starting and getting the most reps with the #1s. However, if that's the case I hope it's not because of the reason you cited. I hope it's because Coker is the most "game ready." JMO.

This has been a good thread IMO and that's because there has been a good discussion. It is always interesting to me how there are differing opinions even though we all had the opportunity to see the same thing during the A-day game. But that is what makes a message/discussion boards interesting.
I didn't see anybody who even posed a threat, to Coker, Moon, other than Cooper Bateman, who I obviously see things, in him, that a multitude of others don't see. Not saying I'm right at all, but I like Bateman's arm strength and athletic ability above Cornwell and Barnett, at this point of their young careers.
sip

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I didn't see anybody who even posed a threat, to Coker, Moon, other than Cooper Bateman, who I obviously see things, in him, that a multitude of others don't see. Not saying I'm right at all, but I like Bateman's arm strength and athletic ability above Cornwell and Barnett, at this point of their young careers.
sip

I think Saban started Sims for no reason other than he thought he gave Bama the best chance of winning. I believe that will be the rational this year as in all of the previous years.

I too, like Bateman, but he must have some fatal flaw (no rapport with teammates, no feel for the game, etc.) that doesn't show up in A-day games. He certainly has arm and athletic talent as well as courage. As far as A-day games, we should know that little to nothing is revealed to the untrained eye - not much more even to the trained eye. Last year should have removed all doubt.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Maybe it was just me but it looked like there were 50 people on the field playing during A game. Looked a wad of people pushing people around w/very little purpose. I think this is due to the approach the coaches have to the game. Their objectives etc. Reason we can't leap to too many if any conclusions about anything or anyone. May the best player start. I'm ready for some Bama football.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
When's the spring semester done?

As others have mentioned we might see a transfer or two in the near future which will give us all a good idea of the top two, outside of BB who I think should RS. I still think Cornwell will emerge as the starter prior to SEC play. The Wisky opener should determine that. As usual time will tell but I feel better about the QB situation this year than last, and we all saw how that worked out.

RTR!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.