Link: Interesting take on Bama QBs from SDS...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think you guys are missing the point on the arm strength discussion. Coker has great arm strength - nobody is denying that. But the difference between having good and great arm strength is pretty negligible, IMO. There isn't a QB on Alabama's roster who doesn't have adequate arm strength. I would rather have a QB that has great accuracy, good decision making and average arm strength than a QB with average accuracy, slow decision making and great arm strength.
No need for anyone to get flustered about this discussion. Last time I checked the calendar it's still April..
But who have you seen has those qualities? This article only shows a few plays. Also Coker went against the FIRST TEAM DEFENSE while the others went against the 2nd.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
But who have you seen has those qualities? This article only shows a few plays. Also Coker went against the FIRST TEAM DEFENSE while the others went against the 2nd.
There may not be a QB on our roster that has the qualities of the first QB I described. It just gives me great pause to think that Coker's best attribute is arm strength. Just thought his decision making would have come along a little faster over the past year. And you're right, that article only showcased a few plays. Just sharing my thoughts on what we have seen most recently. Everything is subject to change once fall camp starts..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think you guys are missing the point on the arm strength discussion. Coker has great arm strength - nobody is denying that. But the difference between having good and great arm strength is pretty negligible, IMO. There isn't a QB on Alabama's roster who doesn't have adequate arm strength. I would rather have a QB that has great accuracy, good decision making and average arm strength than a QB with average accuracy, slow decision making and great arm strength.
No need for anyone to get flustered about this discussion. Last time I checked the calendar it's still April..
ok...I'll go with that, and I respect that post. That merits agreement.
I hope you have a good evening and Roll Tide.
May the "Force" be with you! :)
sip

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There may not be a QB on our roster that has the qualities of the first QB I described. It just gives me great pause to think that Coker's best attribute is arm strength. Just thought his decision making would have come along a little faster over the past year. And you're right, that article only showcased a few plays. Just sharing my thoughts on what we have seen most recently. Everything is subject to change once fall camp starts..
Fair enough. I think his decision making isn't the greatest either, but I'm just getting tired of people taking sides because we know about Coker and his weaknesses but the grass has to be greener on the other side with these young bucks that we know little about. It was the same last year with Coker vs sims. I think you have a good point with arm strength not being the greatest attribute a qb should posses. I just don't want people to get their feelings hurt if Coker wins the job and struggles a little bit against whisky and start hear people chanting Cornwell or Barnett like the people in my section for the wv game did when sims started struggling. Just IMO. Idk care who wins the job as long as we do well

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Fair enough. I think his decision making isn't the greatest either, but I'm just getting tired of people taking sides because we know about Coker and his weaknesses but the grass has to be greener on the other side with these young bucks that we know little about. It was the same last year with Coker vs sims. I think you have a good point with arm strength not being the greatest attribute a qb should posses. I just don't want people to get their feelings hurt if Coker wins the job and struggles a little bit against whisky and start hear people chanting Cornwell or Barnett like the people in my section for the wv game did when sims started struggling. Just IMO. Idk care who wins the job as long as we do well
That's fair. My logic has been that if Cornwell/Bateman/Barnett are close (as far as being ready to play) to Coker that I would prefer to go with one of the younger guys. If Coker, a 5th year senior, is barely holding off the other guys I think that's a pretty fair projection that the younger guys have a higher ceiling than Coker. Like I said previously, still a long ways away till the first game. A lot can change between now and then..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That's fair. My logic has been that if Cornwell/Bateman/Barnett are close (as far as being ready to play) to Coker that I would prefer to go with one of the younger guys. If Coker, a 5th year senior, is barely holding off the other guys I think that's a pretty fair projection that the younger guys have a higher ceiling than Coker. Like I said previously, still a long ways away till the first game. A lot can change between now and then..
That is my opinion too. And the upside of breaking in a young qb this year is he has the potential to be a returning starter.

However, I think everyone would agree that if Coker works out the kinks and is far and away the better qb then that's who we'd all want to see.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That is my opinion too. And the upside of breaking in a young qb this year is he has the potential to be a returning starter.

However, I think everyone would agree that if Coker works out the kinks and is far and away the better qb then that's who we'd all want to see.
My opinion is I want the QB who is going to win us a championship and I think Coker is the guy. If you want to play a guy just to get experience and be the starter for the next 2-3 years you are thinking wrong IMO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My opinion is I want the QB who is going to win us a championship and I think Coker is the guy. If you want to play a guy just to get experience and be the starter for the next 2-3 years you are thinking wrong IMO.
We tried that last year and it didn't work. We would be in a much better position, presumably, to make a run at a national championship this year if Coker had a year under his belt already. We can't win the championship every year so sometimes we should do things that will benefit the program in the long run. We start Coker this year then that will be 3 different starting QBs in 3 years because this is Coker's last year. If Coker had any meaningful game experience or anything that separated him from the others I would be all for it, but I haven't seen anything that shows he's definitively better than the others. JMO..

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I think like you do. I also think Coker's a fairly mobile QB who'll lower his head. At this point in time I think Coker has the best ability to extend plays with his feet over the other QB's. To me that's just as important as adequate arm strength, accuracy, decision making etc.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We tried that last year and it didn't work. We would be in a much better position, presumably, to make a run at a national championship this year if Coker had a year under his belt already. We can't win the championship every year so sometimes we should do things that will benefit the program in the long run. We start Coker this year then that will be 3 different starting QBs in 3 years because this is Coker's last year. If Coker had any meaningful game experience or anything that separated him from the others I would be all for it, but I haven't seen anything that shows he's definitively better than the others. JMO..
2 SECCG wins, 2nd nattys, and 1 playoff appearance under 1st time starters in 8 years. 1 SECCG wins and 1 natty under a returning starter. We have had more success under 1st year starters than returning starters. I think it's a weak point in most of the arguments concerning who should be qb. We have had the majority of our losses under returning starters: jpw=8 gmac=3 and AJ=3.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Coker does have experience from FSU and Bama. While I agree he hasn't logged major hours at the helm it's subjective to say how much experience a good QB makes. He did throw 4 TD's on 59 attempts with zero INT's last year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Coker does have experience from FSU and Bama. While I agree he hasn't logged major hours at the helm it's subjective to say how much experience a good QB makes. He did throw 4 TD's on 59 attempts with zero INT's last year.
That's why my post said meaningful game experience. Mop up duty isn't a difference making factor in the QB battle, IMO..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It did not in the end result but it did at QB. Sorry but your thought pattern on "benefit the program in the long run" does not exist in the Saban era. It is winning and who gives you the best chance to do it and that is why 3 different Sr. QB's have started in 3 years and the reason why we have been competing at the highest level the last 3 yrs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It did not in the end result but it did at QB. Sorry but your thought pattern on "benefit the program in the long run" does not exist in the Saban era. It is winning and who gives you the best chance to do it and that is why 3 different Sr. QB's have started in 3 years and the reason why we have been competing at the highest level the last 3 yrs.
Think you're missing the point. If Coker is clear and away the best QB then he should play. If Coker and Cornwell, or whoever, are neck and neck then I would defer to the younger guy because he would be back next year. Still playing to win this year and building for next year. And BTW, CNS does things all the time to benefit the program in the long run. To think otherwise is illogical, IMO..

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I agree. I want a championship in 2015. We can worry about next year next year.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I agree. I want a championship in 2015. We can worry about next year next year.
Everyone wants to win this year. Force's point is not to urinate 2015 away for the younger guy because he's younger. But that if two QBs give you an equal chance to win a championship in 2015, the youngster wins the tie-breaker by virtue of being able to return his experience in 2016 instead of having to start the QB battle all over again

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Everyone wants to win this year. Force's point is not to urinate 2015 away for the younger guy because he's younger. But that if two QBs give you an equal chance to win a championship in 2015, the youngster wins the tie-breaker by virtue of being able to return his experience in 2016 instead of having to start the QB battle all over again
I get that. But from what I've seen it's not a neck and neck race at the moment. After A Day I feel like Jacob Coker is the best option at QB when we play Wisconsin.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I get that. But from what I've seen it's not a neck and neck race at the moment. After A Day I feel like Jacob Coker is the best option at QB when we play Wisconsin.
In that case, there should be no argument or disagreement. If Coker is clearly ahead of the others, he will start period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, Saban will select who gives Bama the best chance to win this year with no regard to next year and that's how it should be IMO. There won't be a fine point put on it such as "clearly". Many others have pointed out the success of new vs returning QB starters. Coach Saban has done a spectacular job with his selections thus far. Has not made even a slight mistake that I can see with some difficult choices.

Also, anyone who deems last year a failure (SEC champs, playoff participant, wins over A&M, UT, LSU, AU) is ungrateful and unreasonable. It could have been great but it was a good year. And Blake Sims was a joy and a wonder. Again that SEC championship was sweet. I'm still irritated that Bama did not get it in 2011.

When I was a kid (60s and 70s) I used to ignore SECCs, it was NC or bust, like the immature do now, but that has changed and they are even more difficult and more valuable now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.