Study concludes shuttered football program at UAB made money

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Presidents Watts said something interesting. He said that there was no support for the program until it was taken away. He said now maybe it will have a chance to be successful although I highly doubt it. The people on here that are happy likely never paid for a ticket. The problem is that when you get tickets for free from your employer, the product has no value. Since so many tickets are going to be given away, how will potential fans feel about actually buying a ticket? I can answer that, it won't happen. So when it comes to long term success, it has almost no chance to be successful.

As far as UAB being successful as a FCS program, I believe they have a very good chance of being a top tier program at the lower level. UAB is a bigger school than either USA or Troy and is located in a metropolitan area to draw upon the kids Alabama and Auburn do not take. They would also have more resources than any of those schools. Build a successful program at the FCS level with much lower expenses and see if in the future you might could compete at the FBS level.

Last edited:

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove
I always felt guilty throwing away the UAB football tickets that get sent home from public school. Now I will save them up to cook Smores.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I always felt guilty throwing away the UAB football tickets that get sent home from public school. Now I will save them up to cook Smores.
I wish this was a joke, but I'm assuming it's not. If only people realized how few actual, paying fans went to UAB games perhaps they would have just shut up about it. The media was not going to truthfully report those sort of statistics though, they had no interest in them, I never even saw a national report detailing how many tickets the city of Birmingham was buying to keep UAB's weak ticket sales propped up.

Yes some rhetoric has been over the top, however that doesn't change three important things.

1: The City of Birmingham is the biggest outside supporter of UAB football, deliberately creating false demand so politicians within the city can have their own pet project, which in this case is a football team. They waste millions of taxpayer funds in the process.
2: The Alabama system subsidizes UAB football in the millions as well, siphoning away funds from state taxpayers, federal taxpayers, and yes Alabama fans going to Alabama games as well.
3: As has been noted, there was no real support for UAB football until there was no UAB football. There's no reason to believe it's genuine at all, it's political in nature, and it will go away in short order.

This entire thing is nothing but a lesson in politics, that's it. At the end of the day no one really cares how many millions are flushed down the drain, a small special interest group with a loud voice has a tendency to get what it wants, even if what it wants is millions of dollars belonging to other people.

Last edited:

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove
It is not a joke. My daughter has brought tickets home before. I have seen handfuls of tickets being passed around at the Friday night game also.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I wish this was a joke, but I'm assuming it's not. If only people realized how few actual, paying fans went to UAB games perhaps they would have just shut up about it. The media was not going to truthfully report those sort of statistics though, they had no interest in them, I never even saw a national report detailing how many tickets the city of Birmingham was buying to keep UAB's weak ticket sales propped up.

Yes some rhetoric has been over the top, however that doesn't change three important things.

1: The City of Birmingham is the biggest outside supporter of UAB football, deliberately creating false demand so politicians within the city can have their own pet project, which in this case is a football team. They waste millions of taxpayer funds in the process.
2: The Alabama system subsidizes UAB football in the millions as well, siphoning away funds from state taxpayers, federal taxpayers, and yes Alabama fans going to Alabama games as well.
3: As has been noted, there was no real support for UAB football until there was no UAB football. There's no reason to believe it's genuine at all, it's political in nature, and it will go away in short order.

This entire thing is nothing but a lesson in politics, that's it. At the end of the day no one really cares how many millions are flushed down the drain, a small special interest group with a loud voice has a tendency to get what it wants, even if what it wants is millions of dollars belonging to other people.
Did anyone catch the "celebration march" up University yesterday? After the announcement, a ground swell of support developed and they marched up University to The Commons on the Green.......all 40 of them....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.