Study concludes shuttered football program at UAB made money

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Seeing as how the Vols made a quick million dollars when the UAB game was cancelled, they should be glad the program is going away. Especially since UAB would have beaten them last time if they had a decent kicker.

I have seen a number of people on the UAB board say they will never donate another cent to UAB again or attend another UAB basketball game if football is not revived. Way to support your alma mater, guys.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
sour grapes?
Yes, of course, who wouldn't? Do you get happy to be told your money is being spent on something you, and virtually everyone else has no interest in?

Edit: And to illustrate how ridiculous this whole thing has become, this morning I heard the word "spiritual" used as a reason to bring UAB football back. Well, may be that's what the stadium was full of, spirits, because it darn sure wasn't fans.

Last edited:

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Yes, of course, who wouldn't? Do you get happy to be told your money is being spent on something you, and virtually everyone else has no interest in?
I suppose you feel like your tax dollars are being spent better elsewhere? I am just happy to have both Bama and UAB programs to watch again.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1. I'm happy for those kids who were directly affected but I hope that Birmingham and their fans don't do that to them ever again which they will undoubtably will.
2. What were they thinking at any point at this
3. Where do they go from here

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It's going to be fun watching all the people who ran their mouths and made their pledges begin to backtrack. They will say "What, me buy tickets? I thought the City and business leaders were paying for it!":lurk5:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I hate the PTB caved to the "media" and political pressure. This makes absolutely no sense. We will be footing the bill again in no time flat. We'll see the pledges that the "Free UAB" crowd is crowing about disappear or never appear. UAB did just fine in attracting students before they had football. It is a commuter campus for goodness sake. I am guessing about 50% of their undergrad students come from the Birmingham metro area. How is the new cost of attendance going to be funded? If UAB wants football, let them play on a FCS level which is where they belong. Look at North Dakota State. they are more competitive at the FCS level and they are on TV more than UAB now. They said UAB had just gotten a good coach for the 1st time which is true, but how long is he going to stay when someone offers him 1 or 2 million a year? Does anyone really think they are going to ever compete for anything resembling a championship?

Again, we wonder why we constantly have to pay more taxes while the state is in a funding crisis yet again, then we the taxpayers are forced to fund a football program essentially less than 5000 people want. Most UAB students don't even go to their games.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
^^^ That is why they should go the D2 or fcs route. I believe they'd get more people in the stands. I can go to a una game with my 2 sons and be home gas and eats and all for less than $100. And it's an entertaining option to have.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.