Study concludes shuttered football program at UAB made money

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Not sure, but the basketball program might have to drop down as well.
I don't think so, but I honestly don't know for sure. There are numerous small schools who don't even have football who end up going to the big dance so I would think they could compete in the SWAC for instance( which I think Alabama State is in) and compete in basketball with a lower level in football program. I believe Alabama State has gone to the NCAA tourney before.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Since 61% of the funding comes from subsidies, not including the $6 million that the city of Birmingham spent on tickets I see that it is fine for citizens that never attended or will never attend a game had to foot the bill for UAB football.
Since it is such importance for a university to have a FBS football program I demand that AUM, Samford, North Alabama, Alabama State and all the other universities in the state have a FBS football program.
AUDub, why don't you demand that Auburn fund AUM a football program since you believe it is the University of Alabama's obligation to fund it's satellite campus a FBS program.

Last edited:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
You conservatives that support this shouldn't complain about tax payer funding for abortion. Apparently you believe that because someone wants something others must be forced to fund it.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
1st - Will UAB have enough players to suit up this year?

2nd - If so, maybe we can predict the attendance at the first home game. Will UAB fans come out of the wood work to fill Legion Field?

Mamacalled, you are correct about it becoming a welfare recipient. Maybe like Solyndra, they will go Green. Aren't their uniforms green? Their uniforms could stop global warming, maybe.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I hate the PTB caved to the "media" and political pressure. This makes absolutely no sense. We will be footing the bill again in no time flat. We'll see the pledges that the "Free UAB" crowd is crowing about disappear or never appear. UAB did just fine in attracting students before they had football. It is a commuter campus for goodness sake. I am guessing about 50% of their undergrad students come from the Birmingham metro area. How is the new cost of attendance going to be funded? If UAB wants football, let them play on a FCS level which is where they belong. Look at North Dakota State. they are more competitive at the FCS level and they are on TV more than UAB now. They said UAB had just gotten a good coach for the 1st time which is true, but how long is he going to stay when someone offers him 1 or 2 million a year? Does anyone really think they are going to ever compete for anything resembling a championship?

Again, we wonder why we constantly have to pay more taxes while the state is in a funding crisis yet again, then we the taxpayers are forced to fund a football program essentially less than 5000 people want. Most UAB students don't even go to their games.
Well to be fair ndsu has money pumping into it from the community and uab doesn't. North Dakota has way better paying jobs with the oil fields and a major military mission in the state. Also ndsu has the luxury or recruiting. A lot of ndsu players were players passed over by Nebraska and Wisconsin because those are the two biggest programs around them. Uab has to
Deal with alabama and auburn, USA and Troy , and then major schools in surrounding states. I heard one of our great state senators this morning on jox saying uab and it's community wants to be a winner and it showed it with bill Clark having a great season. If bill Clark has another 6-6 season at uab he is going to a better job. I would say the battle for third place in the state will be between USA and Troy in the long run. Both have way more to offer with better city politics than uab. Just my 2 cents

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Well to be fair ndsu has money pumping into it from the community and uab doesn't. North Dakota has way better paying jobs with the oil fields and a major military mission in the state. Also ndsu has the luxury or recruiting. A lot of ndsu players were players passed over by Nebraska and Wisconsin because those are the two biggest programs around them. Uab has to
Deal with alabama and auburn, USA and Troy , and then major schools in surrounding states. I heard one of our great state senators this morning on jox saying uab and it's community wants to be a winner and it showed it with bill Clark having a great season. If bill Clark has another 6-6 season at uab he is going to a better job. I would say the battle for third place in the state will be between USA and Troy in the long run. Both have way more to offer with better city politics than uab. Just my 2 cents
UAB could be the top dog among the rest, but we'll be back here a few years down the road if they stay in FBS. No way they ever make a dime, and I think their marching orders are to at least break even..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I have vowed to buy a set of season tickets every year. Its a nice second option for Saturdays I do not feel like driving to Tuscaloosa or unable to score tickets.
You seem like a stand-up guy, so I will take you at your word.

Now find 5-10k more people, without asking B'ham to shell out money it does not have, and I won't have any problem with it.

But, as long as B'ham is subsidizing it, they will probably cling to the absurd idea that some day they will get an NFL franchise. The Old Gray Lady has seen its day, and that day is past. Tear it down, and let UAB figure out how to build an on-campus stadium. If they can manage a way to do that, without being heavily taxpayer subsidized, that is where their future should lie.

You are probably not aware, but after SMU came off of its death penalty, part of the deal was they would move out of the Cotton Bowl, and build an on-campus stadium. Yes, it is a small stadium. If that is good enough for SMU, then it should be good enough for UAB.

UAB has a bigger need to be free of B'ham than the UA system.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Mamacalled, you are correct about it becoming a welfare recipient. Maybe like Solyndra, they will go Green. Aren't their uniforms green? Their uniforms could stop global warming, maybe.
When I first saw this, with my poor eyesight, the thing that leaped off of the screen was

Soylent Green.

(Sorry, too hard to pass up.)

Somehow, every time B'ham/Jefferson Co. politics comes up, my mind wanders to thoughts about sewage................

Back to our normally scheduled program.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
You seem like a stand-up guy, so I will take you at your word.

Now find 5-10k more people, without asking B'ham to shell out money it does not have, and I won't have any problem with it.

But, as long as B'ham is subsidizing it, they will probably cling to the absurd idea that some day they will get an NFL franchise. The Old Gray Lady has seen its day, and that day is past. Tear it down, and let UAB figure out how to build an on-campus stadium. If they can manage a way to do that, without being heavily taxpayer subsidized, that is where their future should lie.

You are probably not aware, but after SMU came off of its death penalty, part of the deal was they would move out of the Cotton Bowl, and build an on-campus stadium. Yes, it is a small stadium. If that is good enough for SMU, then it should be good enough for UAB.

UAB has a bigger need to be free of B'ham than the UA system.
Not only Birmingham but thirteen other cities decided to give tax payer money to help fund UAB football.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yes, but I doubt they share B'ham's idea of an NFL franchise, with a downtown domed stadium.

Maybe they do, and I have been away for 40 years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
UAB could be the top dog among the rest, but we'll be back here a few years down the road if they stay in FBS. No way they ever make a dime, and I think their marching orders are to at least break even..
The problem is that Troy has a pretty decent support with their community and USA is in mobile. Both places could fund their universities better than Birmingham. Bham would only get concerned if the medical school to Tuscaloosa rumblings start.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes, but I doubt they share B'ham's idea of an NFL franchise, with a downtown domed stadium.

Maybe they do, and I have been away for 40 years.
The biggest problem with the words Birmingham and nfl franchise are: politics, sponsorships, and competing with bama and auburn. First any owner in their right mind would say no to having to play with Birmingham politicians because they know they have to practically pay all expenses of building a stadium and facilities. Then you get to sponsorships and besides a few car factories and Budweiser you are looking through the yellow pages to find someone that can dish out the amount of money to support it. Then you got the bama and auburn which it's no secret that college football is the biggest thing in alabama and people really are not interested in pro sports as a whole. You can really tell not many people watch the nfl in depth by reading some responses on other threads and that is perfectly ok but the point is college>>> nfl in the average Alabaman. If alabama was to ever get a pro team it would either be in mobile or Huntsville because both have money, both have wealth businesses in and around it, and both are far enough away the two main colleges to probably gain more interest in the local community. I still will believe it when I see it even if either come up for nomination by the nfl in expansion talks, but they are more logical than bham.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
What do you call it when a train wreck turns into a train wreck?
A thread on a Bama board...about UAB football.

I mean seriously, fans compared to Baltimore rioters, and the program compared to abortion.

People repeating the same verbiage over and over (including me).

We should all be proud.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.