I think we're in the midst of an unprecedented streak.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Over the past 7 years, we have played 96 games. compiling a record of 85-11, which is an average of 12 wins per year. I haven't done the research to prove it, but I feel sure that that has to be a record. Even in this era with extra games compared to years ago, 12 wins is still a pretty rare event.

Now, we didn't win 12 every year in our current streak, but we did win 12 or better in 5 of the 7 with 2 13's and a 14.

It's an incredible streak and we can still add to it, which I believe we will with the way Coach Saban and staff are recruiting.

For a little perspective, the barners have only EVER won double digit games in consecutive years once and it was for only 2 years. In their entire history.

Couldn't resist that because I'm sure a lot of them read this forum regularly.

:D

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Yea, we really are on a tear with Saban at the helm! It really feels good to bask in light of this success and you are right - midst being the operative word - we are just getting this thing crunked up! Good to see you starting threads like this TM. I've missed your posts.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Boise State from 2006-2012 (7 years) had a better winning % than Alabama from 2008-2014. I'm sure there have been others.
Maybe so, but consider the competition. Consider how Alabama would have done vs. WAC/Mountain West teams and then think about how Boise State might have done vs. SEC Teams.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Russell31210

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 30, 2004
Hiawassee, Ga
Sigh. Anything else you wou would like to statistically prove? My daughters volleyball team has not lost a game in 4 years. Wow! Her coach is better than Saban!

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Question...it used to be that there were only 11 games scheduled, and a Bowl game made it 12. Ergo, doesn't it make it easier to win 10+ games when you have the potential to (now with the playoffs) play 15 games in a season. And, believe me, I am not detracting from the accomplishment to which this thread is alluding to...I'm just saying. Wasn't it in '92 when conferences started having divisions and playoffs which made the potential amount of games 13? Wait till they expand the playoffs and then how many potential games might a team participate then. I'll still appreciate what Bama has done, since the beginning of CFB. Roll Tide!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
We have enjoyed an exceptional run since 2007. I would never have believed that we would win 3 NCs in 6 years. The down side to this is that most all teams, especially in the SEC, have upped their games, recruiting, coaching, and facilities. CNS has forced every program to get competitive or get left behind.

IMO the only programs in the SEC that have not consistently improved since 2007 are UT, Kentucky and Vanderbilt. The addition of TAMU and Mizzou has strengthened the conference with Mizzou winning the SEC east the past two years. This has also happened in other power 5 conferences. The depth in each conference has gotten better each year with the exception of the ACC. While I expect Alabama to continue to be a perennial power; it will be more difficult moving forward than any time in CNS's tenure. As has been said, we need to enjoy it while we can. :cool:

Last edited:

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Bosie popularity was from one thing & only one thing Gamblers loved them & won a lot of $ betting on Bosie.

Alabama has not covered very well yet won consistently under CNS.

I don't think anyone except Miami in the late 80's early 90's has faced what Alabama has.

if you are not so proud of this program then you can't be a true fan.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Lol @ some people. The OP's statement was that averaging 12 wins per year and our current 7 year run might be unprecedented. No mention of NC's, the competition faced, or a P5 conference. The issue that I was pointing out was that using 12 wins and the term unprecedented (which has a historical implication) isn't fair because for most of the NCAA history winning 12 games was either impossible or required an undefeated season. Therefore, you need to look at winning % to make a claim of "unprecedented" success. Going by winning %in D1, our current 7 year is not unprecedented.

Comments addressing the competition and P5 conference play would be answering a question that the OP didn't ask.

But to address those unasked questions I took the obvious choice to look at: The longest D1 winning streak and Oklahoma's run at that time.

107-8-2 over 11 seasons (our current run of greatness is 7 years)
3 NC's (Won those 3 in a 7 year span)
91.5% (Ours has been 88/89% over the last 7 years)
Averaged 9.73 wins per year 11 was typically the max wins possible (we're averaging 12 when 14 is the max possible)
All against P5 caliber competition (obviously conferences were aligned differently then)

None of this detracts from our current success. None of this reduces the impressiveness of our current runs. But talk of unprecedented success is not an emotional conversation. It is a statistical one and right now, our success is not unprecedented. Similar runs to ours have been had by ND, FSU, and UF. (OU, ND, UF, and FSU were the first 4 names I thought of and all have had a comparable run of at least 7 years by winning % and all won at least 1 NC if you wanted to add that as a qualifier). Our current run is phenomenal but not unique.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Bosie popularity was from one thing & only one thing Gamblers loved them & won a lot of $ betting on Bosie.

Alabama has not covered very well yet won consistently under CNS.
True gamblers love "winning" and know the difference between "winning" and "winners" so to speak. The Alabama line's (over the last 2 decades or so) have normally always been inflated due to the "rabid" fan base and general public perception. The "smart money" was/is more times that not taking the points against Alabama. Given Saban's propensity to "take the air out of the game" (run the ball/run the clock) in the 4th quarter also plays into not running up the score and covering a big spread.

In other words, a team that doesn't cover the spread consistently is just as good of a wagering opportunity as a team that does cover the spread consistently to a true gambler.

The general betting public on the other hand likes "winners"...

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Seven 10 win seasons in a row is a SEC record. I hope we can stretch it out for several more seasons.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
If it is the "midst" of a streak, that would mean another 6-8 years of Saban as HFC. Hope so!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stays thst long. Recruiting will probably be the best indicator of how long he wants to stay. Recruiting is usually the part of the job that most coaches don't care for and I can understand that, but Coach Saban seems to actually enjoy it and is showing no signs of slowing down as he continues to pile up #1 classes.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Lol @ some people. The OP's statement was that averaging 12 wins per year and our current 7 year run might be unprecedented. No mention of NC's, the competition faced, or a P5 conference. The issue that I was pointing out was that using 12 wins and the term unprecedented (which has a historical implication) isn't fair because for most of the NCAA history winning 12 games was either impossible or required an undefeated season. Therefore, you need to look at winning % to make a claim of "unprecedented" success. Going by winning %in D1, our current 7 year is not unprecedented.

Comments addressing the competition and P5 conference play would be answering a question that the OP didn't ask.

But to address those unasked questions I took the obvious choice to look at: The longest D1 winning streak and Oklahoma's run at that time.

107-8-2 over 11 seasons (our current run of greatness is 7 years)
3 NC's (Won those 3 in a 7 year span)
91.5% (Ours has been 88/89% over the last 7 years)
Averaged 9.73 wins per year 11 was typically the max wins possible (we're averaging 12 when 14 is the max possible)
All against P5 caliber competition (obviously conferences were aligned differently then)

None of this detracts from our current success. None of this reduces the impressiveness of our current runs. But talk of unprecedented success is not an emotional conversation. It is a statistical one and right now, our success is not unprecedented. Similar runs to ours have been had by ND, FSU, and UF. (OU, ND, UF, and FSU were the first 4 names I thought of and all have had a comparable run of at least 7 years by winning % and all won at least 1 NC if you wanted to add that as a qualifier). Our current run is phenomenal but not unique.
So are comments addressing the winning percentage if you want to get technical about it

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.