Is the Higher Education Bubble about to Burst?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
LSU on brink of bankruptcy

LSU President F. King Alexander’s stunning announcement Wednesday that he’s drawing up official bankruptcy papers [the technical term is "financial exigency", apparently] for the school is just one step short of naming the colleges and departments that he will close if the Legislature does not raise the funds to close the $1.6 billion budget shortfall for the coming fiscal year.

Unless Gov. Bobby Jindal and legislators come up with a budget solution very soon, you can cancel just about every ongoing faculty search at LSU and watch as the exodus of faculty accelerates.

Students, especially incoming freshmen who have offers from out-of-state colleges, will start bailing out, too, as it increasingly appears there could be no fall semester at the state’s flagship university.
The proposed state budget cuts LSU's funding by ~80%.

One of the key "benefits" of financial exigency is that it will allow the university to lay off tenured faculty--though doing so might be signing the university's death certificate.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Thanks JT. That is an astronomical budget cut. 1.6 billion shortfall for the state. Alabama's shortfall is only $700 million. Ain't we looking good? Nothing like waiting till the last minute to act. I thought Republicans were geniuses at running government like a business? At least we aren't Kansas.

Can they field a football team without a university?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
LSU on brink of bankruptcy

The proposed state budget cuts LSU's funding by ~80%.

One of the key "benefits" of financial exigency is that it will allow the university to lay off tenured faculty--though doing so might be signing the university's death certificate.
80% budget cut is probably a bit much, but the truth probably lies between the two extremes.
As Victor Davis Hanson observed, "Today’s campuses have a higher administrator-to-student ratio than ever before."
LSU administrators would probably prefer getting rid of tenured teaching faculty than cancelling useless positions like the Inclusive Community Wellbeing Director.
How can a college campus possibly operate without an Inclusive Community Wellbeing Director?
I mean, the very first thing the monks did at Oxford in 1096 was establish their Inclusive Community Wellbeing Director. Then they got busy hiring a Latin professor.

As for a higher education bubble, when the Federal government will guarantee students loans for as many Wymyn's Studies majors as want to pursue such a degree, I'd say, yeah, that is a bubble that will burst.
My kids finished four years with no student loans and their peers are amazed at that fact. All of their peers are in debt up to their eyeballs.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
From a link inside JT's post

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/lsu_academic_bankruptcy.html#incart_river

The change would bring state funding for LSU from around $3,500 per undergraduate student to $660 per undergraduate student next year.

Just raise tuition $3000 a year?

Every time politicos talk about budget shortfalls, it's always cut the police, firemen, state troopers, parks, education. If we don't "need" them why do we have them in the first place. They never want to cut admin positions,

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Just saw Jindal on TV. He appears to be focused on an Indiana style religious freedom act. No presidency for you Bobby!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hmmm. Somebody proposed making community college "free" not long ago. If the faculty stays on the job and doesn't get paid, we can now have a UNIVERSITY education for free, too. Think of how that would benefit society!!!

Truth is, I again don't care. College ain't what it once was and the fact we guarantee loans to people majoring in Golf Course Management, who then can't get jobs is pretty pathetic. There ought to be SOME sort of reasonable rate of return or something.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hmmm. Somebody proposed making community college "free" not long ago. If the faculty stays on the job and doesn't get paid, we can now have a UNIVERSITY education for free, too. Think of how that would benefit society!!!

Truth is, I again don't care. College ain't what it once was and the fact we guarantee loans to people majoring in Golf Course Management, who then can't get jobs is pretty pathetic. There ought to be SOME sort of reasonable rate of return or something.
The truth again is that we need to look to the European model and divert kids with aptitudes into skills which are needed but are sorely lacking in this country. Not every kid benefits from a college education, even if that has come to be the American Dream. Our lack of trained technicians has greatly harmed the American economy, and yet the push still continues to make sure each American kid can go to college, whether he has the aptitude and even if he finishes owing the earnings of the first half of his life to a lender...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The truth again is that we need to look to the European model and divert kids with aptitudes into skills which are needed but are sorely lacking in this country. Not every kid benefits from a college education, even if that has come to be the American Dream. Our lack of trained technicians has greatly harmed the American economy, and yet the push still continues to make sure each American kid can go to college, whether he has the aptitude and even if he finishes owing the earnings of the first half of his life to a lender...
Adding to my thoughts, master plumbers or electricians in Germany command a very handsome salary. I don't have the numbers at my fingertips, but I shouldn't be surprised at all if it were 2 or 3x what it would be for similar skills here...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I agree. I have taught young people who honestly had little business in college. In fact, they were wasting their money there. I can only imagine that, while in high school, they were urged to attend college in the hope that the light would switch on while there. Sadly, for many, that light never comes on. They just take the courses, incur the debt, fail the courses, and end up with the worst possible outcome: student loan debt, but no college credits.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
not to worry, the invisible hand will take care of that soon enough ;)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I've told the story before of a friend's daughter who got her sociology degree for only $160,000 in student loans. She's a waitress now. Only government (or government guaranteed) loans allow for his kind of stupidity.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Amen! As a teacher, I whole heartedly agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.