News Article: We Still Haven't Gotten Our Identity Back

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Lost identity = 1. Overrated lines. 2. Lack of a consistent second option to Cooper. 3. MIA tight ends. 4. Banged up Yeldon and injured Drake. 5. A loss of a couple steps at linebacker. 6. Veritable debacle in the secondary.

Yet we still played for a national championship. Quite the accomplishment for a team with so many soft spots. Now, will the problem be solved with better players or a return to the old way of doing things?
No, we didn't.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Actually, we didnt do our job... thats why they looked that way :)
One thing going forward: Ohio State appeared faster and stronger than our team. We were big and heavy on both lines. They appeared big and cut and far quicker to the punch on both sides. Linebackers and DBs the same. The gap in physicality was something I thought I'd never see under CNS, but it was clear. Wonder if we're analying not only whmo we're recruiting but how they're being physically prepared?

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
One thing going forward: Ohio State appeared faster and stronger than our team. We were big and heavy on both lines. They appeared big and cut and far quicker to the punch on both sides. Linebackers and DBs the same. The gap in physicality was something I thought I'd never see under CNS, but it was clear. Wonder if we're analying not only whmo we're recruiting but how they're being physically prepared?
I don't think I really saw a difference in physicality. It just looked to me like young guys being out of position, mediocre secondary play, and predictability/relying too much on Cooper on offense. None of the other teams we played were good enough to make us pay (I don't really count Ole Miss thanks to injuries), and OSU was.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I don't think I really saw a difference in physicality. It just looked to me like young guys being out of position, mediocre secondary play, and predictability/relying too much on Cooper on offense. None of the other teams we played were good enough to make us pay (I don't really count Ole Miss thanks to injuries), and OSU was.
Good post, but I respectfully disagree. Based on what I saw, they physically pounded us, playing like a traditional Alabama team far more than Alabama did.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I did not either. On defense we dominated on 1st and 2nd down and gave up 5 huge plays and several 3rd down conversions that may have led some people to think they were faster and stronger and more physical than us. I don't get the doubting of who we are recruiting and how they are being physically prepared :rolleyes:.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No way OSU was faster or more physical than we were. More prepared, maybe so. In fact, that would be my opinion. We just got beat. Too many mistakes, too many injuries, and a very motivated team that had at least equal talent and coaching. That's not a recipe for a win.

It is obvious we don't have the same mojo that we had from 2008-2012. But what we have to remember is the turnover in personnel that has happened. We lost a lot of really good leaders from those years. Now, we've had great leaders in 2013 and 2014, but not the same ones and perhaps not as many. We've also lost some good coaches and while the replacements aren't chopped liver, it's difficult to replicate what was built during those earlier years.

I saw someone mention the rules changes and that is a definite factor. The hard hitting game is a thing of the past. The HUNH has been a big change on the offensive side.

Having said all of these things, the past two seasons were 11-2 and 12-2, and perhaps a couple of plays away from playing for the NC both years. Maybe we haven't gotten our identity back yet, but we're awful close.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No way OSU was faster or more physical than we were. More prepared, maybe so. In fact, that would be my opinion. We just got beat. Too many mistakes, too many injuries, and a very motivated team that had at least equal talent and coaching. That's not a recipe for a win.

The problem is that ezekial elliot hit 230 yards on us on 20 attempts averaging 11.5 a carry. Take away his 85 yard big gainer and that is still 145 with 7.6 a carry. that is a phyically imposing back or a physically imposing line. Elliot hit 200 yards three times in the year and they were against Whisky, us, and Oregon.

It is obvious we don't have the same mojo that we had from 2008-2012. But what we have to remember is the turnover in personnel that has happened. We lost a lot of really good leaders from those years. Now, we've had great leaders in 2013 and 2014, but not the same ones and perhaps not as many. We've also lost some good coaches and while the replacements aren't chopped liver, it's difficult to replicate what was built during those earlier years..

Also consider people have elevated to our level by either inventing complicated offensive schemes or copying us on how we recruit and build teams. tOSU was a hybrid of us and UF in 09. They plain out beat us at our own game with a little bit of Urban jazz added to it. Also CNS and CKS havent figured out the HUNH after the last 3 years of being stung by it. We also dont have shut down corners or the dbs like we have had in the past. We are a fragmented team that is good enough to win big games, but is reliant on our offense to out score opponents rather than a dominating defense.
I saw someone mention the rules changes and that is a definite factor. The hard hitting game is a thing of the past. The HUNH has been a big change on the offensive side..

Yet the uber offenses have only succeeded in capturing 1 title since 97(2010*) . The rule changes dont change the end result as much as people worry about it.
Having said all of these things, the past two seasons were 11-2 and 12-2, and perhaps a couple of plays away from playing for the NC both years. Maybe we haven't gotten our identity back yet, but we're awful close.
Well that is subject to one's interpretation. If getting back to a dominating defense is yours then I saw we are going in the right direction, but some interpretations involve getting rid of Kiffin's offense and going back to the run heavy type. Im more in favor of the former than the latter of those interpretations.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Engineer, agree with a lot of what you say. Last year was a fine season by anyone's standards, even ours. But from what I saw we got blasted off the ball by TOSU. With the possible exception of Henry and Ragland, they looked stronger, tougher and faster at just about every position. We finally began to hit back from the middle of the third to the middle of the fourth, but the offense couldn't cash in.

It is obvious we don't have the same mojo that we had from 2008-2012. But what we have to remember is the turnover in personnel that has happened. We lost a lot of really good leaders from those years. Now, we've had great leaders in 2013 and 2014, but not the same ones and perhaps not as many. We've also lost some good coaches and while the replacements aren't chopped liver, it's difficult to replicate what was built during those earlier years.

I saw someone mention the rules changes and that is a definite factor. The hard hitting game is a thing of the past. The HUNH has been a big change on the offensive side.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
What I remember against OSU was us completely controlling the game early. I think we were up 19-7 or something like that when we got a turnover deep in their territory. I wanted us to pound the ball down their throats and score. If we had, I still think we would have won that game. However, we got cute on first down, and Blake threw an interception. OSU controlled the game after that. I could be wrong, of course, but that is what I remember.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What I remember against OSU was us completely controlling the game early. I think we were up 19-7 or something like that when we got a turnover deep in their territory. I wanted us to pound the ball down their throats and score. If we had, I still think we would have won that game. However, we got cute on first down, and Blake threw an interception. OSU controlled the game after that. I could be wrong, of course, but that is what I remember.
I didnt feel the same way when I was there. It seemed that the score shouldve been 21-7 them at the half. They gave the ball up twice, setting us up with easy situations to score. Cyrus not coming up with the pick six was huge for them. As far as running the ball down their throats, its hard to say because at that point of the game we couldnt stop Jones or Elliot to save our lives. Plus it seemed that they were content to let us have the run as long as amari didnt win the game. Its a game of what ifs that has one definitive statement "tOSU was the better team that night".

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good post, but I respectfully disagree. Based on what I saw, they physically pounded us, playing like a traditional Alabama team far more than Alabama did.
I have to agree with this. Keep in mind they gave us 14 quick points and we had them on the ropes 20-6 late in the first half. Say what you will but IMO they pounded us in the second half, we had no answer for Jones, Elliot and their big play WR. I know it is not something you want to hear, but tOSU beat us at our own game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have to agree with this. Keep in mind they gave us 14 quick points and we had them on the ropes 20-6 late in the first half. Say what you will but IMO they pounded us in the second half, we had no answer for Jones, Elliot and their big play WR. I know it is not something you want to hear, but tOSU beat us at our own game.
we didn't seem to play good 3rd quarter ball this past year

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I still think playcalling hurt us badly in the Ohio State loss. The Buckeyes played a great game and deserved the win, but we opened the door for them by abandoning the run. Run the dang ball left ! I still wake up screaming that occasionally.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Engineer, agree with a lot of what you say. Last year was a fine season by anyone's standards, even ours. But from what I saw we got blasted off the ball by TOSU. With the possible exception of Henry and Ragland, they looked stronger, tougher and faster at just about every position. We finally began to hit back from the middle of the third to the middle of the fourth, but the offense couldn't cash in.
I'm not denying they blasted us off the ball and dominated the LOS to a certain extent. I'm saying that didn't happen because they were stronger or faster than us. That happened because they were better prepared and more focused, and had a better plan. We got out coached and out played.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, as much as we probably don't want to admit it, CUM flipped the cards on CNS and basically did to us what CNS did to him in the 2009 SECCG.

It happens. All great coaches get outcoached at times and lose a game nobody thought they would.

However, I don't necessarily think we need to read a "changing of the guard" or "CNS is declining as a coach" or anything like that. Bama is not going anywhere right now except to stay in the top 5 discussion.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I look for a much better defense this year. We are both deep and talented on the D-line, we have more speed at linebacker with Williams and Evans which should really help in third and long situations as well as in the pass rush. With more PT for Brown and Humphrey, we should be much improved on the corners.

I just think we're gonna have a quicker, faster D and with Scott's leg flipping the field like he does, I see us being much more dominant than we have recently.

Also, if we can avoid injuries, I expect a much improved running game. We should have an old fashioned Bama style O-line for Henry, Drake and future legend D. Harris. (I'm really high on him.) And with a little luck, we get Bo back this year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
On a slightly different angle to this "mojo" discussion, I don't remember nearly the number of legal problems during the championship years. But that may be wishful thinking. Thoughts>

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I look for a much better defense this year. We are both deep and talented on the D-line, we have more speed at linebacker with Williams and Evans which should really help in third and long situations as well as in the pass rush. With more PT for Brown and Humphrey, we should be much improved on the corners.

I just think we're gonna have a quicker, faster D and with Scott's leg flipping the field like he does, I see us being much more dominant than we have recently.

Also, if we can avoid injuries, I expect a much improved running game. We should have an old fashioned Bama style O-line for Henry, Drake and future legend D. Harris. (I'm really high on him.) And with a little luck, we get Bo back this year.
I'm with you on Harris TMac and I think he and Bo will be a great tandem in the next 2-3 years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I hope so, but they have said that since 2011. Scott should be good as usual.
It may rest on our Oline. Henry is great in open space, but he isnt the bruiser back that Alabama is used to.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.