News Article: We Still Haven't Gotten Our Identity Back

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I hope so, but they have said that since 2011. Scott should be good as usual.

It may rest on our Oline. Henry is great in open space, but he isnt the bruiser back that Alabama is used to.
We started recruiting different style defensive players in the last couple of years to combat the HUNH defense and we are now at the point where they are ready to be put out on the field like Evans, Williams and Miller. I agree that our defense will be much improved this year and we will not give up near as many points or yards.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He showed signs of becoming that in the A-Day game...
He did, but will he do it in real games. I think he'll be better.

We started recruiting different style defensive players in the last couple of years to combat the HUNH defense and we are now at the point where they are ready to be put out on the field like Evans, Williams and Miller. I agree that our defense will be much improved this year and we will not give up near as many points or yards.
Still again we heard this very often the last two off seasons and we have progressively gotten worse.
Year, Total, PE, Rush, Scoring
2007 31 .. 38 .. 28 .. 27
2008 T3 .. 14 … 2 … 7
2009 2 … 2 … 2 … 2
2010 5 … 6 … 10 .. 3
2011 1 … 1 … 1 … 1
2012 1 … 7 … 1 … 1
2013 5 … 26 .. 7 … 4
2014 12 .. 30 .. 4 … 6

I truly hope we fix our defensive miscues because we are going to have to stock up on Prilosec and Pepto if they arent. Im optimistic that we will be substantially better, but I beleive it when I see it.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He did, but will he do it in real games. I think he'll be better.

Still again we heard this very often the last two off seasons and we have progressively gotten worse.
Year, Total, PE, Rush, Scoring
2007 31 .. 38 .. 28 .. 27
2008 T3 .. 14 … 2 … 7
2009 2 … 2 … 2 … 2
2010 5 … 6 … 10 .. 3
2011 1 … 1 … 1 … 1
2012 1 … 7 … 1 … 1
2013 5 … 26 .. 7 … 4
2014 12 .. 30 .. 4 … 6

I truly hope we fix our defensive miscues because we are going to have to stock up on Prilosec and Pepto if they arent. Im optimistic that we will be substantially better, but I beleive it when I see it.
As I said they are just now to the point we can get our new type of player on the field on a regular basis. I think we will see a vast improvement on defense.

You know when you are on top of the mountain there is only one direction you can go. Statistically we had a "good" defense last year which to our standards is not good. The Barn and OSU game showed a weakness and killed our stats but almost every team would have taken our defense last year.

I agree on the Pepto. Every time a QB dropped back to throw basically a hail mary pass I knew it was going to be completed but have faith in a staff that knows how to coach them up and a talent pool that is better than everybody out there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think one thing necessary for a number of folks here is to accept that the 2011 team was the greatest defense of all-time and not some "new normal" for Alabama. We can have a great defense that would still pale in comparison to that otherworldly D. That's not identity, not finishing, nothing but not being as good as the gold standard.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think one thing necessary for a number of folks here is to accept that the 2011 team was the greatest defense of all-time and not some "new normal" for Alabama. We can have a great defense that would still pale in comparison to that otherworldly D. That's not identity, not finishing, nothing but not being as good as the gold standard.
Well said and agreed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good luck getting some folks to understand this.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So long as Nick Saban is Head Coach at Alabama, we'll always have a good defense. The question is whether it's Top 15, Top 5 or #1.

But so long as the OL is allowed to block downfield, the deck is so stacked that we won't ever see a 2011-type defense again.

When the rules go to the NFL standard of 1 yard (and they will....eventually), it'll take 2-3 years to build back up, but we'll have a chance. Meanwhile, distasteful though it may be, we try to adapt to the rules as they are currently written and/or enforced.

I don't agree with or like the current rules. But the next time an official rules my way will be the first time.

We can tilt at windmills or we can win at the current game. I've tilted at windmills in my younger years. Trust me....it doesn't do a danged thing for anything but your soul. You still lose. I like winning better.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Good luck getting some folks to understand this.
Yeah, when I point this out I'm told I 'don't believe' or am a 'Barner troll' or other such nonsense.

I call reality what it is. Sometimes that means criticizing the decisions made WITHOUT threads screaming "fire Coach So and So." By the same token, sometimes things happen that defy logic. Not taking anything away from 2011 LSU (which was an awesome team) but I still shake my head in disbelief at how many things went wrong in that game for us. Yeah, we failed to execute a number of times when just one would have done it but everything from the Maze punt misplay (hit the wire or whatever) to that touchdown-interception at the goal line - that wast just WEIRD in every way.

We had a very good and fun team to watch last year. It's amazing how many forget here that the 2009 team that went unbeaten very nearly lost to Tennessee and Auburn and very easily could have lost to LSU and didn't exactly set the world on fire against FIU for three quarters, either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.