Squall hits Mobile Bay/Dauphin Island Regatta, 2 dead 5 still missing

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i can't believe all the jokes, 2 people are dead and 5 are still missing/probably dead

the national weather service didn't broadcast a warning until 3:08 PM well after the race was underway and the storm hit at 4PM. Sure there were general concerns but there are always those on the gulf coast this time of year.

But let's just make jokes about it

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
i can't believe all the jokes, 2 people are dead and 5 are still missing/probably dead

the national weather service didn't broadcast a warning until 3:08 PM well after the race was underway and the storm hit at 4PM. Sure there were general concerns but there are always those on the gulf coast this time of year.

But let's just make jokes about it
1) A watch was issued around 1:30, a warning around 2:30, and a special advisory to boaters at around 3 to "seek safe harbor immediately"

2) According to the article you posted, the storm hit around 4:30.

It's a terrible tragedy, but the storm did not come on these boats out of the blue. An hour and a half is ample time to seek safer waters and it appears the organizers and/or participants ignored the warning.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
1) A watch was issued around 1:30, a warning around 2:30, and a special advisory to boaters at around 3 to "seek safe harbor immediately"

2) According to the article you posted, the storm hit around 4:30.

It's a terrible tragedy, but the storm did not come on these boats out of the blue. An hour and a half is ample time to seek safer waters and it appears the organizers and/or participants ignored the warning.

you are of course assuming that all of the participants had radio's and were aware,the race started at 9:30 am4 hours before the first watch was issued assuming your time above is correct and the really small boats like Hobie Cats don't typically have marine radios

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
you are of course assuming that all of the participants had radio's and were aware,the race started at 9:30 am4 hours before the first watch was issued assuming your time above is correct and the really small boats like Hobie Cats don't typically have marine radios

it appears the organizers and/or participants ignored the warning.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
it appears the organizers and/or participants ignored the warning.
i'm not trying to defend the organizers, i have no idea what happened, I wasn't there. But much of this thread seems to simply not care or want to blame somebody. I'm saying focus on the dead, for now, blame can come later

Last edited:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
My thoughts are with the families. I spend a lot of time in those waters fishing so know how storms can come up. Explaining the warnings and what happened that afternoon isn't victim blaming.

But it's important to give a proper account of what happened and to heed warnings and not just shrug it away as some "freak" storm.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
My thoughts are with the families. I spend a lot of time in those waters fishing so know how storms can come up. Explaining the warnings and what happened that afternoon isn't victim blaming.

But it's important to give a proper account of what happened and to heed warnings and not just shrug it away as some "freak" storm.
fair enough

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
i'm not trying to defend the organizers, i have no idea what happened, I wasn't there. But much of this thread seems to simply not care or want to blame somebody. I'm saying focus on the dead, for now, blame can come later

bet if i'd asked for prayers, or something else completely useless, people would be all over it
Ooh, you almost had me. I was just about login and agree with you wholeheartedly, then you had to add that smarmy nonsense. So we have callous people making jokes about dead people on one side and an evangelical atheist on the other. Sounds like a Stealer's Wheel song.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Ooh, you almost had me. I was just about login and agree with you wholeheartedly, then you had to add that smarmy nonsense. So we have callous people making jokes about dead people on one side and an evangelical atheist on the other. Sounds like a Stealer's Wheel song.
yeah, sorry, whole thing had me annoyed so I added that. Removed it

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
Nobody on here has joked about this, but having had a house & small boat on coastal waters for almost 50 years, I have never been in the Gulf or Mobile Bay without a hand held weather radio-at least since they have been available. If you have ever been around regattas in open water, they always have safety craft which most certainly would have had a weather radio. No one is placing blame on anyone, but someone should have known. That being said, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved, and I do not consider them to be useless!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We're very lenient about "thread drift" here, but can we stay at least 1,000 miles of the topics and keep political rants to political rant threads? BTW, no reply to this post...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.