Baltimore protests / riots (was: Orioles COO John Angelos offers perspective...)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: Baltimore

The man they are burning down Baltimore for...

Again, I don't agree with what happened to him, and in no way does his rap sheet warrant him dying, but he damn sure wasn't some angel the agitators are making him out to be either.

http://clashdaily.com/2015/04/fredd...f-the-dude-theyre-destroying-baltimore-over/#

Who knows what his juvenile record looks like.
If this is true.....why wasn't he in prison instead of roaming the streets?

Wow!!!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

That can be expected in inner city, predominantly black neighborhoods. Try that out in the non-urban areas, and you'll see an entirely different response from both citizens and business owners.
In my neighborhood, for instance, the cops would be called only to pick up the trash. We enforce and protect our own.
actually in Georgia the people in Buckhead and Vinings and get pretty peeved when their Starbucks coffee order is wrong.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I fear when and if this thing happens in Birmingham or Atlanta, I mean directly not indirectly happens. It will be ten times worse.

Also what does rioting accomplish? The answer is nothing. It only slows commerce and raise taxes for the working person. Rodney King and the Watts Riots proved that. I wish people would stop thinking of anarachy and the fall of society and apply for a job instead. More productivity.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

If this is true.....why wasn't he in prison instead of roaming the streets?

Wow!!!

Half of the people arrested for drugs work for the police trying to catch the uncaught ones. Then they trade places. No, I'm not joking.

Conviction of any two of those offenses would have put him in the big house.

But as I have posted before, I don't want the police on the street acting as judge, jury and executioner.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I know some will poo-poo this due to the source, but I appreciate Obama's speech today and think he's right.

"This is not new. This has been going on for decades. And without making any excuses for criminal activities that take place in these communities, we also know if you have impoverished communities that have been stripped away of opportunity, where children are born into abject poverty, they've got parents, often because of substance abuse problems or incarceration or lack of education, and themselves can't do right by their kids, if it's more likely that those kids end up in jail or dead than that they go to college, and communities where there are no fathers who can provide guidance to young men, communities where there’s no investment, and manufacturing's been stripped away, and drugs have flooded the community and the drug industry ends up being the primary employer for a lot of folks, in those environments, if we think that we're just going to send the police to do the dirty work of containing the problems that arise there without, as a nation, and as a society saying what can we do to change those communities to help lift up those communities and give those kids opportunity, then we're not going to solve this problem, and we'll go through this same cycles of periodic conflicts between the police and communities, and the occasional riots in the streets and everybody will feign concern until it goes away and we just go about our business as usual."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...nt-obama-talk-about-whats-happening-baltimore

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

But as I have posted before, I don't want the police on the street acting as judge, jury and executioner.
The problem is that people stereotype to the extreme. They act like the police shouldnt be able to carry guns and defend themselves and the public if need be. Are some of these cops power hungry punks... Yeah, but if people agree that overhalf of the people in the United States are good natured individuals then you have to apply that to the police as well because they are people too.

As for the rioters... I think they are just as bad, if not worse, than the police that blame for whatever they blame them for. they cost their communities millions in repairs for their childish antics. People need to get jobs and contribute to society and stop trying to find a reason to rebel.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I know some will poo-poo this due to the source, but I appreciate Obama's speech today and think he's right.

"This is not new. This has been going on for decades. And without making any excuses for criminal activities that take place in these communities, we also know if you have impoverished communities that have been stripped away of opportunity, where children are born into abject poverty, they've got parents, often because of substance abuse problems or incarceration or lack of education, and themselves can't do right by their kids, if it's more likely that those kids end up in jail or dead than that they go to college, and communities where there are no fathers who can provide guidance to young men, communities where there’s no investment, and manufacturing's been stripped away, and drugs have flooded the community and the drug industry ends up being the primary employer for a lot of folks, in those environments, if we think that we're just going to send the police to do the dirty work of containing the problems that arise there without, as a nation, and as a society saying what can we do to change those communities to help lift up those communities and give those kids opportunity, then we're not going to solve this problem, and we'll go through this same cycles of periodic conflicts between the police and communities, and the occasional riots in the streets and everybody will feign concern until it goes away and we just go about our business as usual."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...nt-obama-talk-about-whats-happening-baltimore
In Ferguson, a more or less clean shooting sparked riots because a culture of racism had raised neighborhood tensions to the point where only a spark was needed to set things off.

A similar thing has happened in Baltimore.

And yeah, Obama's right, and it's good that he's looking at the larger issues involved.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.