Baltimore protests / riots (was: Orioles COO John Angelos offers perspective...)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
NationalTitles15, if that last sentence were directed at me, could you explain what you mean? I tried PMing you, but our PM function is apparently down again...

I look at the people "at the bottom" economically - those cleaning the floors and bathrooms - with respect and understanding that I could be doing that and could be there economically. I feel really strange about it all if you didn't pick up on that already because it's very new to me

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
NationalTitles15, if that last sentence were directed at me, could you explain what you mean? I tried PMing you, but our PM function is apparently down again...
Not directed at you at all, but the reader of the preceding paragraph. What I am trying to say is that until recently I was accustomed to being toward one end of the economic spectrum and I am still new to being on a different part of that spectrum. IOW, I am making a lot more money now and I'm not used to it. Not rich by any means, but still. I feel strange about my new position for a number of reasons. That's what I was trying to convey. Still not sure if I'm being clear. Sorry for that.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Re: Baltimore

Just to make clear two things. Obviously, I was NOT directing my fire at CA (whom I respect even on those rare occasions I disagree with - and it's not even that I disagree with him in all the details here) but at Obama's remarks and secondly, while I was intending to be flip and a bit shocking, the VERY IDEA that this country has turned its back on this element of society is laughably absurd. You know why I get sick of hearing about the poor and underprivileged in this country? It's because our country has the richest "poor" in the world and we dole out things for them that often make them live "better" than the middle class guy/girl who actually has to pay for medical coverage (for example).
Very true Selma.

This is one of my favorite studies ever on this very issue and the WAR ON POVERTY

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The Fourth Estate article has already been debunked. The lawsuit they references was really a lawsuit involving a structured settlement the family had earlier won against their landlord over lead paint not having been removed. Allstate, as insurer for the landlord was an interested party in the present suit. So far, there's just no evidence that Gray had surgery...
Isn't news from the internet marvelous?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not directed at you at all, but the reader of the preceding paragraph. What I am trying to say is that until recently I was accustomed to being toward one end of the economic spectrum and I am still new to being on a different part of that spectrum. IOW, I am making a lot more money now and I'm not used to it. Not rich by any means, but still. I feel strange about my new position for a number of reasons. That's what I was trying to convey. Still not sure if I'm being clear. Sorry for that.
No, I understand now. I also grew up in a family with neither parent being a high school grad. My dad was definitely a blue collar working stiff. Of the five full siblings, both girls had some college, but the three brothers all have college degrees (two CPAs), and I have multiple. So, I know exactly where you're coming from...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Saw that on CNN. Hilarious. From his behavior, there was no doubt he was her son. The biggest thug so far, IMO, was the one in the gas mask who slashed the fire hose...
its funny to watch a "tough guy" teen cower when his momma gets hold of him. that is the only footage of this i have watched. i tend not to watch much news.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Additional to my other reply, my family was relatively wealthy until the Civil War. My GGF was a grad of UVA. They were impoverished by the Confederate State of Alabama when it confiscated all my family's property because he was a member of the Union League and had consistently opposed secession. In Reconstruction, he should have been favored, but he litigated with the state for years with no positive results. So, the Civil War and the Confederacy has understandable meaning to me, far off what became popular in the South after the war...

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So with the "stand down" order coming from the Mayor of Baltimore, when does the lawsuits from the businesses (or their insurance companies) that were destroyed begin? Their businesses could have been saved had the Police been allowed to do their job.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So with the "stand down" order coming from the Mayor of Baltimore, when does the lawsuits from the businesses (or their insurance companies) that were destroyed begin? Their businesses could have been saved had the Police been allowed to do their job.
Cities can't be sued unless they consent - immunity of the crown - centuries old. In Alabama, cities can be sued, but the limit is $100K. Of course, that could be a lot of suits, in this case...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is for Montgomery County. It mirrors their state tort claims act. It may have been raised in the meantime, but I doubt it. Of course, getting a judgement against a governmental agency for a failure of policy is almost impossible. There are many cases dealing with the public safety area which have denied liability in these cases. The Tort Claims acts deal almost entirely with individual wrongdoing by government employees...

Injury suits against Montgomery County and its employees are limited in liability by
Maryland's Local Government Tort Claims Act of 1987.
The act limits liability to $200,000 per individual and $500,000 per total claims that arise
from each incident. That means if 10 people are injured by negligence in one incident, for
example, they would split a maximum of $500,000.
The county is responsible for damage suits against local government employees acting
within the scope of their employment without malice. The county, which is self-insured,
is responsible for paying judgments of negligence or wrongful conduct, said Patricia Via,
chief of the County Attorney's Office litigation division/self-insurance.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

They don't call it Bodymore Murderland for nothing. I know it is exceptionally difficult to get a personal firearm there. I mean ridiculously difficult legally. Wonder why they don't riot any in the Deep South? I can guarantee you that my property would have been defended with lethal force.
The Deep South the majority of Americans attend church and have a different set of values. You know what Northerners call Americans from the South? Bammers. As if thats a bad thing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I read it from beginning to end. Thanks again for posting it.
I think I understood most of the points made already, just not in such an organized basis. Recent events have illustrated that, post this treatise, smartphones have just magnified its principles. Tweet - "Hey, we're over here!!!"...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Murder..No.
Manslaughter.. Most likely if charged

This was more of the guy running from the police. the police tackle him, pin him, and deny medical. He probably would've died regardless from his injuries on the street, but the police denying him medical attention and dragging him to the car are what more or less what set Baltimore ablaze. Check out the video on the internet of his arrest. IDK if I can post it due to the language of the recorder.
I never saw anything other than the cops having him on the ground; did they tackle him? Could it have happened at that point? He was running from cops, and that's kind of like running from a mean German Shepherd; you're usually going to get caught, and the results won't be pretty.
SIAP - this thread has gotten pretty long and I can't find any more info on the actual "details" of the arrest, other than what was on TV.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I think I understood most of the points made already, just not in such an organized basis. Recent events have illustrated that, post this treatise, smartphones have just magnified its principles. Tweet - "Hey, we're over here!!!"...
I have read your link. I read most links people post! I was going to add that cellphones and social media have made it much easier for groups to have a common goal or meet at a certain place or do a thing together. Weren't there "flash mobs" in England a while ago that used texts to message each other about meeting places and the location of the police? I imagine the air waves were humming with all the high schoolers texting each other about planned mischief.

Please put a Gold Star next to mine and Tide1986s name.:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.