Baltimore protests / riots (was: Orioles COO John Angelos offers perspective...)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Re: Baltimore

From Remodeling:

Freddie Gray Jr.'s Lead-Paint Problem

A lead-paint lawsuit was filed on behalf of Gray and his sisters in 2008

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/busine...)&he=a7da63ece9a5dbe531dd415ec2e75b814bdf2847

the walls and windowsills in one of Gray's childhood homes "contained enough lead to poison the children and leave them incapable of leading functional lives,"according to the Washington Post.
Lead-paint lawsuits are common in the West Baltimore neighborhood of Sandtown-Winchester. Gray was living off settlement payments from the lawsuit, which are known as "lead checks."

The lawsuit was filed against Stanley Rochkind, the owner of a home Gray's family rented for four years. Rochkind also owned hundreds of other rentals in Baltimore and has been involved in multiple lead-paint lawsuits.
ThinkProgress reports that tests conducted in the 1990s revealed levels of lead in Gray's blood were "nearly double that of what the state of Maryland defines as the minimum for lead poisoning."

Lead can really mess a person up. Most of the old tenements are full of lead.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

The Long, Painful And Repetitive History of How Baltimore Became Baltimore

Washington Post

And the really terrible irony — which brings us back to Baltimore today — is that each of these shocks further diminished the capacity of low-income urban black communities to recover from the one that came next. It's an irony, a fundamental urban inequality, created over the years by active decisions and government policies that have undermined the same people and sapped them of their ability to rebuild, that have again and again dismantled the same communities, each time making them socially, economically, and politically weaker.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I never saw anything other than the cops having him on the ground; did they tackle him? Could it have happened at that point? He was running from cops, and that's kind of like running from a mean German Shepherd; you're usually going to get caught, and the results won't be pretty.
SIAP - this thread has gotten pretty long and I can't find any more info on the actual "details" of the arrest, other than what was on TV.
The Baltimore Sun has been unable to unearth any evidence of pre-existing spinal surgery at all. In fact, an attorney for another family member has denied it as just a rumor. There have been some allegations that one of the patrolmen planted his knee on his larynx. Today, a Baltimore TV station said that the injury occurred in the van. Don't know what the basis is for that, though...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Just saw on ABC news that the autopsy show a puncture in the back of the neck that matched a bolt or some type attached fixture in the police van.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

The Baltimore Sun has been unable to unearth any evidence of pre-existing spinal surgery at all. In fact, an attorney for another family member has denied it as just a rumor. There have been some allegations that one of the patrolmen planted his knee on his larynx. Today, a Baltimore TV station said that the injury occurred in the van. Don't know what the basis is for that, though...
I heard a few days ago, on cable or local news, not the internet, that he was unable to talk because of a crushed voice box (larynx). If that is true, coupled with a spine/neck fracture (I'm assuming C1 - C7) it would indicate that both occurred from the same excessive force, probably a knee, applied to the neck/throat area.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Just saw on ABC news that the autopsy show a puncture in the back of the neck that matched a bolt or some type attached fixture in the police van.
There was another witness interviewed on TV, apparently was also loaded into the van. Unfortunately, so much of his interviewed was bleeped out, I couldn't understand what he was saying...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I heard a few days ago, on cable or local news, not the internet, that he was unable to talk because of a crushed voice box (larynx). If that is true, coupled with a spine/neck fracture (I'm assuming C1 - C7) it would indicate that both occurred from the same excessive force, probably a knee, applied to the neck/throat area.
OTOH, there are incidental comments about his wanting an inhaler for his asthma and also his becoming "irate" in the back of the van, so which turns out to be true?

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

WJLA ABC affiliate

Sources said the medical examiner found Gray's catastrophic injury was caused when he slammed into the back of the police transport van, apparently breaking his neck; a head injury he sustained matches a bolt in the back of the van.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

There was another witness interviewed on TV, apparently was also loaded into the van. Unfortunately, so much of his interviewed was bleeped out, I couldn't understand what he was saying...
The Baltimore PD had said that the prisoner who was in the van with Gray had said that Gray was "thrashing around like he wanted to hurt himself" Just saw the alleged other prisoner on TV. He said he had said no such thing and made no such statement. Who to believe? A whole lotta leaks and rumors.

I think Gray was injured before he ever got in the van. He was dragging his legs limply as they drug him toward the van in the video. We need more information.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The Long, Painful And Repetitive History of How Baltimore Became Baltimore

Washington Post
I'm interested in hearing what others think the following means at a more detailed level:

And because we never invested in the kind of education low-income urban communities would need to find work in a post-industrial world, low-skilled workers today are left with worse prospects today than they had two generations ago.
Edit: Yes, I intended "what". That's what you get when you try to submit a post on your iPhone in the middle of a high school band concert.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm interested in hearing why others think this means at a more detailed level:
I think you really mean "what," so I'll give my thoughts on that. I don't think there's any question that we've royally screwed up our educational system and we seem determined to continue to do so. We seem unable to learn from any other nation's successful model. In Germany, you are tested at a relatively early age to see if you're academically suited to proceed on an academic route or if you need to divert into vocational training as an apprentice. It's a harsh system. Einstein might well have ended up as a master plumber. However, master plumbers, etc., are paid very handsomely there. And there are holes in the system for high money/political folks, just as here. We continue to send kids in cities like Baltimore through a meaningless high school education which just doesn't train them to make a living, and that's if they finish, which few do. I haven't even mentioned the impact this has had on our industrial job situation. Germany, OTOH, has held on to their manufacturing jobs. I'm just using them as an example. The same system really exists in all of northern Europe. Kids who could have learned to use a lathe or CNC machine end up on the street, throwing rocks... /rant

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I think you really mean "what," so I'll give my thoughts on that. I don't think there's any question that we've royally screwed up our educational system and we seem determined to continue to do so. We seem unable to learn from any other nation's successful model. In Germany, you are tested at a relatively early age to see if you're academically suited to proceed on an academic route or if you need to divert into vocational training as an apprentice. It's a harsh system. Einstein might well have ended up as a master plumber. However, master plumbers, etc., are paid very handsomely there. And there are holes in the system for high money/political folks, just as here. We continue to send kids in cities like Baltimore through a meaningless high school education which just doesn't train them to make a living, and that's if they finish, which few do. I haven't even mentioned the impact this has had on our industrial job situation. Germany, OTOH, has held on to their manufacturing jobs. I'm just using them as an example. The same system really exists in all of northern Europe. Kids who could have learned to use a lathe or CNC machine end up on the street, throwing rocks... /rant
How young? I wouldn't mind something like this somewhere between junior high and high school, maybe after freshmen year. I teach freshmen and can tell which kids on the opposite ends of the spectrum should either go to college or trade school. The ones in the middle are harder to pin point so give them another year and reevaluate the middle kids after sophomore year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
How young? I wouldn't mind something like this somewhere between junior high and high school, maybe after freshmen year. I teach freshmen and can tell which kids on the opposite ends of the spectrum should either go to college or trade school. The ones in the middle are harder to pin point so give them another year and reevaluate the middle kids after sophomore year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's about the age they do it in Europe...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IIRC this has been tried to some extent in the U.S. in some places before and was basically deemed discriminatory.
I'm not sure on what basis. If it were applied on a racial basis, then it could be. If it were applied even handedly, then I don't know where the discrimination would come in...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
If the choice lies with the child and parents with input from but not control by the schools then I'm all for it. We need alternative to the utter mess we have now. I just don't trust the schools to choose what my child does, just as I would not have trusted them to choose for me.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.