Baltimore protests / riots (was: Orioles COO John Angelos offers perspective...)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
"This is not new. This has been going on for decades. And without making any excuses for criminal activities that take place in these communities, we also know if you have impoverished communities that have been stripped away of opportunity, where children are born into abject poverty, they've got parents, often because of substance abuse problems or incarceration or lack of education, and themselves can't do right by their kids, if it's more likely that those kids end up in jail or dead than that they go to college, and communities where there are no fathers who can provide guidance to young men, communities where there’s no investment, and manufacturing's been stripped away, and drugs have flooded the community and the drug industry ends up being the primary employer for a lot of folks, in those environments, if we think that we're just going to send the police to do the dirty work of containing the problems that arise there without, as a nation, and as a society saying what can we do to change those communities to help lift up those communities and give those kids opportunity, then we're not going to solve this problem, and we'll go through this same cycles of periodic conflicts between the police and communities, and the occasional riots in the streets and everybody will feign concern until it goes away and we just go about our business as usual."
Public housing, assorted forms of welfare, prison, public schools, racism by the police ...... it doesn't sound like being a ward of the state is such a good deal. Maybe people ought to rethink the arrangement they have with their government.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
People say that lives matter but do they really mean that or do they only matter when the news makes an issue out of a death? Sadly, lives do not matter or people would want to see a drug dealer taken off the streets for destroying so many more lives than his. He has only one life but he has taken many lives.
Why do people not rise up when a gang member kills a child innocently playing in a park? If all lives matter then why do we not show the same outrage when a man kills his wife in a fit of rage? Where is the same outrage when a policeman is killed protecting the public?
I do not condone the killing of a man in police custody. I do not excuse the behavior of the police that caused the man's death. I am however, disturbed that people show more outrage over the death over a drug dealer that has been arrested 22 times for distribution of narcotics than any of the innocent people I mentioned above.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I know some will poo-poo this due to the source, but I appreciate Obama's speech today and think he's right.

"This is not new. This has been going on for decades. And without making any excuses for criminal activities that take place in these communities, we also know if you have impoverished communities that have been stripped away of opportunity, where children are born into abject poverty, they've got parents, often because of substance abuse problems or incarceration or lack of education, and themselves can't do right by their kids, if it's more likely that those kids end up in jail or dead than that they go to college, and communities where there are no fathers who can provide guidance to young men, communities where there’s no investment, and manufacturing's been stripped away, and drugs have flooded the community and the drug industry ends up being the primary employer for a lot of folks, in those environments, if we think that we're just going to send the police to do the dirty work of containing the problems that arise there without, as a nation, and as a society saying what can we do to change those communities to help lift up those communities and give those kids opportunity, then we're not going to solve this problem, and we'll go through this same cycles of periodic conflicts between the police and communities, and the occasional riots in the streets and everybody will feign concern until it goes away and we just go about our business as usual."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...nt-obama-talk-about-whats-happening-baltimore
Did I miss the rapture? Because I'm pretty sure I just agreed with Obama on something.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll summarize what the Empty Suit just said:

"This is not new. This has been going on for decades. And without making any excuses for criminal activities that take place in these communities.....

I'm going to NOW give you a list of excuses and hope you don't notice.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know some will poo-poo this due to the source, but I appreciate Obama's speech today and think he's right.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...nt-obama-talk-about-whats-happening-baltimore
I'm sorry, but Asians were brought here from Vietnam and illegals come here in bad situations and do better than this riffraff.

How many trillions have we spent in "the war on poverty" since 1964?

Anybody got ANOTHER solution besides throwing someone else's money at it?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
People say that lives matter but do they really mean that or do they only matter when the news makes an issue out of a death? Sadly, lives do not matter or people would want to see a drug dealer taken off the streets for destroying so many more lives than his. He has only one life but he has taken many lives.
Why do people not rise up when a gang member kills a child innocently playing in a park? If all lives matter then why do we not show the same outrage when a man kills his wife in a fit of rage? Where is the same outrage when a policeman is killed protecting the public?
I do not condone the killing of a man in police custody. I do not excuse the behavior of the police that caused the man's death. I am however, disturbed that people show more outrage over the death over a drug dealer that has been arrested 22 times for distribution of narcotics than any of the innocent people I mentioned above.
Only when the RV cameras are around. Any other time, every person in sight, regardless of color, is fair game.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al

I agree with What the President said but it is people like him, Jesse Jackson and others that continue the feeling of hopelessness. It is excuse makers that continue the plight of many in the inner city. The elitist that continue the belief that they are better than others and people can not succeed on their own.
If we continue to tell people that the world is against them, that they have no hope and that they can only overcome with help from the government than we are robbing them of their dreams. If you are told day in and day out that life is not fair and you have no opportunity to live a better life then people will grow up believing that and perpetuating the problem.
I can say this because I have seen it personally and also have been one to encourage those in that cycle to overcome. I grew up in a poor area and have witnessed the mentality that this is life and that there is no way out. I was fortunate because my mother didn't give up on her dreams to create a better life for my sister and me. She has told me of how people encouraged her to go on government assistance because she wouldn't be able to make it. It backfired because she believed that she could do better and did.
When I opened my restaurant, one of my goals was to reach my employees, encourage them to believe that they can do more, and were capable of doing more in life than work in fast food. I wanted to realize that their minds are the only thing that could limit them. I hired many that came from broken homes, homes that had no guidance and didn't know that they could have a life beyond what they knew. I had several that many would have given up on, my area rep even tried to get me to fire a couple of them but I refused because I knew that they needed someone to believe in them. I would sit down and talk to them. Get them to talk about their dreams. I encouraged them and I can confidently say that most of them listened. No, I don't believe I am the only thing that saved them but I do believe that I did affect them enough that they started to believe that they could live a better life than what they had been brought up to believe. I sold my restaurant at the end of 2010 and to this day I keep in touch with the majority of them. All that I still remain in contact with have left the fast food business, and have made positive changes in their lives. Quit doing drugs, went to school, whether a trade school or college or now run their own restaurant.
Yes, the President was right but he is also much of the problem because he continues to tell people that they have no control over their own lives and the world is against them. I encourage everyone to start encouraging instead of discouraging.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I'm sorry, but Asians were brought here from Vietnam and illegals come here in bad situations and do better than this riffraff.

How many trillions have we spent in "the war on poverty" since 1964?

Anybody got ANOTHER solution besides throwing someone else's money at it?
I don't think the solution is throwing someone else's money at it at all. There are multiple problems with a number of solutions or combinations of actions that together make a solution. Turning a blind eye to the problems hasn't made them go away yet. If a country wants a civil powder keg then just mix real and/or perceived injustice due to bias, poverty, and take away hope for making a difference through "legitimate" channels. I think we'd all be better off if everyone worked on their listening skills. We too often talk past each other instead of working on solutions. It's easy for me to say don't destroy property and maybe it's easy for someone else to justify it because of other injustices. In reality maybe there some grain of truth in each viewpoint and common ground can be found. I do think the overall situation in America will get worse before it gets better, based on how divided we are right now.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Momma, I believe everything you said. Thanks for doing good.

Sad to say, but (assuming you are white) there are some in the black community that would criticize you for trying to be a "white savior" to the black folks while they sit on their hind parts and run their mouth and not much more other than occasionally attend a rally and think they've really done something when that didn't get one person out of poverty or educate them or encourage them to make good choices. Like I said, sad but true. I know a few folks just like that.

I hope we can get past this side or that side. If we don't figure out a way to move in the same general direction we are going to fracture and that's going to hurt. A lot.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: Baltimore

If this is true.....why wasn't he in prison instead of roaming the streets?

Wow!!!

Interesting. All non violent charges. Per that, no history of violence and he winds up with a broken neck and a crushed voicebox from a cop apparently pinning him down with a knee to the neck. I know that the devil can be in the details but from all appearances, looks like another cop may be charged with murder.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al

Interesting. All non violent charges. Per that, no history of violence and he winds up with a broken neck and a crushed voicebox from a cop apparently pinning him down with a knee to the neck. I know that the devil can be in the details but from all appearances, looks like another cop may be charged with murder.
I can't defend the actions of the police but you act like dealing and manufacturing narcotics is no big deal. I say it is a big deal and if someone overdoses on the drugs the dealer should be charged with murder. I have no sympathy for drug dealers and I support public beatings for them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

There's no excuse for police brutality but there are reasons why blacks (and others of other races) are getting into confrontations with police and that reason is they are law breakers.

Doesn't matter if it's violent crimes or not....they break the law (repeatedly in this case) and then (surprise surprise) end up getting chased by police when they run or resist arrest.

You can go after the police all you want (I think there's a lot of abuse there myself) but at the same time why not tell those who are outraged......

1) DON'T BREAK THE LAW

2) DON'T RUN FROM A COP

3) DON'T RESIST ARREST

Have you heard ANY of the above in ANY of the media reports so far? I haven't.

And you wonder why these incidents continue to occur.....:rolleyes:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Murder..No.
Manslaughter.. Most likely if charged

This was more of the guy running from the police. the police tackle him, pin him, and deny medical. He probably would've died regardless from his injuries on the street, but the police denying him medical attention and dragging him to the car are what more or less what set Baltimore ablaze. Check out the video on the internet of his arrest. IDK if I can post it due to the language of the recorder.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

There's no excuse for police brutality but there are reasons why blacks (and others of other races) are getting into confrontations with police and that reason is they are law breakers.

Doesn't matter if it's violent crimes or not....they break the law (repeatedly in this case) and then (surprise surprise) end up getting chased by police when they run or resist arrest.

You can go after the police all you want (I think there's a lot of abuse there myself) but at the same time why not tell those who are outraged......

1) DON'T BREAK THE LAW

2) DON'T RUN FROM A COP

3) DON'T RESIST ARREST

Have you heard ANY of the above in ANY of the media reports so far? I haven't.

And you wonder why these incidents continue to occur.....:rolleyes:
I wish it were that simple, not that the point is completely invalid. Some interactions with police happen with peaceful law-abiding, polite citizens. And sometimes things still go wrong.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
...what can we do to change those communities to help lift up those communities and give those kids opportunity
This speech and particularly the quoted portion bring several thoughts to mind.

1. Has there ever existed a society where there have been no "deprived" communities?

2. He mentioned "opportunity". Children in "deprived" communities have no opportunities? Does the speaker really mean "opportunity" or something else?

3. Can we universally solve such deprivation?

4. How serious are we about looking for solutions? Are all solutions on the table? Even state confiscation of the children? Even sterilization of all of the bad influences so they can no longer bring deprived children into the world? Or is the only acceptable solution more of other people's money?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Freddie Gray Allegedly Had Spine Surgery Just One Week Before Arrest.

http://thefourthestate.co/2015/04/b...ad-spine-surgery-just-one-week-before-arrest/

"The Fourth Estate has contacted sources who allege that Freddie Gray received spinal and neck surgery a week before we was arrested, and was allegedly receiving a large structured settlement from Allstate Insurance. The surgery is allegedly related to a car accident in which Gray was involved.
Sources allege that Gray also attempted to refinance his structured settlement into one lump sum payment through Peachtree Funding.
If this is true, then it is possible that Gray’s spinal injury resulting from his encounter with the Baltimore Police was not the result of rough-handling or abuse, but rather a freak accident that occurred when Gray should have been at home resting, not selling drugs."

If this is, which I cannot confirm, it's a good thing the folks waited for the truth to come out in the investigation before things got ugly.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Just to make clear two things. Obviously, I was NOT directing my fire at CA (whom I respect even on those rare occasions I disagree with - and it's not even that I disagree with him in all the details here) but at Obama's remarks and secondly, while I was intending to be flip and a bit shocking, the VERY IDEA that this country has turned its back on this element of society is laughably absurd. You know why I get sick of hearing about the poor and underprivileged in this country? It's because our country has the richest "poor" in the world and we dole out things for them that often make them live "better" than the middle class guy/girl who actually has to pay for medical coverage (for example).

Those poor were poor BEFORE Freddie Gray died - I didn't see them rioting THEN. They'll be poor next week or at least until the shamed Republicans join the party of Tax the Rich Not Named Us and throw federal monies at it.

And furthermore I would hope everyone would keep an open mind and wait. If the Trayvon Martin thread should have taught us ANYTHING, it is that we need to wait until making a judgment either way. Maybe this is my lab and (to a smaller degree as it was only introductory) pathology training dominating my personality. In medicine, we play hunches and we adjust as need be TO THE EVIDENCE. This whole thing has sounded strange from the get-go. I have in no way gone after Freddie Gray's rap sheet (which I was aware of) because even if everything there is true, it does NOT justify police brutality.

By the same token, NOTHING justifies a riot, not even the weasel words of the nation's leading community instigator. (Why is anyone surprised at this absurd empty suit's justification that's not "really" a justification of the hood?). (And btw - don't forget that those same Democrats who start whining about this stuff send their kids to private schools and live in their own gated communities all while pretending to give a damn). I'm not taking a side here yet because I want to know what the autopsy and patient history show - medicine again, which is why I wound up taking Zimmerman's side in the Trayvon case (because I read the forensics) and siding with the cop in the Michael Brown case (which we later learned had a lot of made up eyewitness crap).

A black friend of mine at work and I talk about this stuff. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree. But he did say something profound. He's fifty years old so he was born during the civil rights era. He tells me over and over he was told by his parents that if a cop stops you and makes demands and talks to you as if you're DWB, just say, 'Yes sir' and give him what he asks for and keep your hands visible.

And the simple truth is that while there is the occasional renegade cop with a John McClain complex, it's no different than any other occupation. There are lousy lawyers, lousy doctors, lousy lab techs, and lousy cops. But the fact is that in most of these cases if the suspects would simply go quietly rather than channel their inner Jimmy Cagney, nothing would happen to them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.