Oh, so NOW the AL GOP Wants a Lottery

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
the only time we ever buy a lottery ticket is when the power ball goes over $250 million.
Yeah we do a pool at work whenever it gets in the 200's. I just think it is as an insurance policy to not be the last person standing in my group at my company.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
There are arguments for a lottery, and you can make them. But to throw a lottery together to close a budget gap created by fundamental structural problems is a foolish endeavor. It might be a temporary solution, but long term it will only make things worse.
Couldn't have said it better. IMO a lottery is among the worst revenue streams to base a budget on.

Even if it was steady and did not cause any issues. IMO a government encouraging their citizens to do something stupid as a revenue stream is just wrong. The fact that our border states do it doesn't make it right.

Last edited:

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
If the folks in those states want to throw their money away on foolish endeavors, that's their decision, and their problem. I see no compelling reason though, why we in Alabama should follow suit.
Fwiw, I've said on many occasions that I don't gamble, neither here or in any other place or state. Otoh, I have no objections to others throwing their own money away if they so choose. But I don't think the state should put themselves (or us) in the business of promoting or enabling it.

I worded that badly. I wasn't talking about the citizens of our surrounding states contributing to their own state's coffers. I was referring to the citizens of Alabama who are putting $$$ in those state's coffers.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah we do a pool at work whenever it gets in the 200's. I just think it is as an insurance policy to not be the last person standing in my group at my company.
i usually just scrape together the change laying in my car and on the counter and buy a couple of $2 tickets

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The lottery is probably a bad idea as a method to shore up poor budgeting by lawmakers.

That said, while there are plenty of arguments that I understand against it, I've always leaned towards libertarianism - I don't think the government's role is to 'protect people from potentially poor choices' (whether that's gambling, drugs, whatever - as long as it's not directly impinging on another's rights, why should the government have any say in its legality?)...

On the flip side, TN has benefited substantially from the lottery wrt secondary education - between Hope Scholarships and the new Tennessee Promise program, the decision to have a lottery that was passed by voters has been very beneficial to young people trying to find their way either via college or trade / technical schools.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The lottery is probably a bad idea as a method to shore up poor budgeting by lawmakers.

That said, while there are plenty of arguments that I understand against it, I've always leaned towards libertarianism - I don't think the government's role is to 'protect people from potentially poor choices' (whether that's gambling, drugs, whatever - as long as it's not directly impinging on another's rights, why should the government have any say in its legality?)...

On the flip side, TN has benefited substantially from the lottery wrt secondary education - between Hope Scholarships and the new Tennessee Promise program, the decision to have a lottery that was passed by voters has been very beneficial to young people trying to find their way either via college or trade / technical schools.
lots of folks have benefited from the Hope scholarship in jawjuh too.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I agree that it is not the role to protect people from poor choices, only the consequences of those choices on others. It is something entirely different to encourage those poor choices. Again just my opinion.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
With more money they'll just create more waste. It's not like they will sure up existing budgets and stash the rest. Hell no! It's there, let's spend it. They'll just create NEW programs, and explode and expand current budgets and programs. Govt. waste and corruption are just like shampoo and conditioner directions...RINSE and REPEAT....TAX and SPEND

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I second this.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Even if it was steady and did not cause any issues. IMO a government encouraging their citizens to do something stupid as a revenue stream is just wrong.
I used to describe a lottery as a tax on stupidity. The stupider you are, the higher the tax.
Then I used that line with a school teacher. She said, "I buy lottery tickets every week."
Since then, I have rephrased it as "a tax on irrational hope."

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Sooner or later most politicians will come around to a lottery/gambling to shore up their out of control spending. Its like a voluntary tax and is much more palatable to the voting population.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I used to describe a lottery as a tax on stupidity. The stupider you are, the higher the tax.
Then I used that line with a school teacher. She said, "I buy lottery tickets every week."
LOL school teachers are not immune to acts of stupidity, but don't tell my teacher wife I said so :)

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
It really is a tax on poor folks. I believe I read somewhere, that it is around a 38% tax for every dollar spent.
I'm not sure that is true . I know a guy that works for a company making scratch off lotto tickets. He said the payout is in the 80%+ range on those. So it can't be a 38% tax.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Was this teacher a history teacher? Crossing my fingers that it wasn't a math teacher.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It won't fix the budget shortfall. It will help it, sure. Then, all of the help it provides will be wiped out within 5 years and we'll be here all over again.

Just like at the federal level, revenue is not the issue. Spending is. Yes, you can tax more revenue into the equation and it fixes the equation, but then the politicians screw it up again with out of control spending. Until the spending issue is corrected, we'll be here over and over and over again.

As for how I feel on the lottery, I've bought a ticket once in Tennessee. I do see the moral issues with it, and how it hurts families where addiction is a problem. But alcohol is much worse. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I don't expect it to fix anything at all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.