Oh, so NOW the AL GOP Wants a Lottery

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When you start a lottery you get some of the money that you have allocated to welfare back.....

And you'll get some of that money that is getting spent on the Georgia Lottery to stay home.....

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I've heard the busiest lottery store in Tennessee is the one right across the Alabama border. The people of Alabama are gambling, just not in Alabama!:eek2:

I still wonder if a lottery would survive a popular vote. I say go for it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It's (finally) time for a lottery. If Bibb County can go wet then surely Alabama can get a lottery. One stopped people from driving further for their liquor or paying the bootlegger more. The other may stop money from leaving the state that could go to work here instead of the surrounding states.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I will vote against a lottery when/if it appears on a ballot.
If you don't approve of a lottery just don't participate. Our bordering states are reaping the rewards of lottery proceeds. Tennessee doesn't have an income tax. Georgia has contributed 16 Billion to education from lottery proceeds. In Florida there's no tax on groceries. The list goes on. Right now Alabama is closing State Parks and right here in my community they're closing schools because there isn't enough money to repair them. We need a lottery!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Tennessee had no state income tax without a lottery, same with Florida's non-grocery tax.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Tennessee had no state income tax without a lottery, same with Florida's non-grocery tax.
Maybe I jumped the gun seeing those benefits as lottery driven. I always assumed they were a lottery perk.

I'm all for a lottery. Would it be perfect? Would lawmakers use lottery dollars to pay the the public schools budget instead of using it as additional funds? Who knows? What I do know is a lot of gambling dollars leave Alabama. A players gonna play so let them do it here. Maybe it could lift up our State Parks and Public Schools, create a few more jobs.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Don't think for a minute that approving and enacting a state lottery would lead to a repeal of any state taxes, whether they be tied to income, sales or whatever. It's all about separating the citizens from their money and putting it in to state coffers.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Don't think for a minute that approving and enacting a state lottery would lead to a repeal of any state taxes, whether they be tied to income, sales or whatever. It's all about separating the citizens from their money and putting it in to state coffers.

Is it better for Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi and Florida to put their money into THEIR COFFERS?

:rolleyes:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There are arguments for a lottery, and you can make them. But to throw a lottery together to close a budget gap created by fundamental structural problems is a foolish endeavor. It might be a temporary solution, but long term it will only make things worse.
I agree fully with the bolded and if used that way the sentence that follows. There is still a LOT of waste in government and how it is structured. Although they are good at hiding the overhead the overhead does exist and is usually much higher than a private company would implement under similar circumstances. Some of that is inherent in government and some could easily be eliminated. And that's before we get to tax structures and increasing the tax burden on the citizens of Alabama.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
[/B]

Is it better for Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi and Florida to put their money into THEIR COFFERS?

:rolleyes:
If the folks in those states want to throw their money away on foolish endeavors, that's their decision, and their problem. I see no compelling reason though, why we in Alabama should follow suit.
Fwiw, I've said on many occasions that I don't gamble, neither here or in any other place or state. Otoh, I have no objections to others throwing their own money away if they so choose. But I don't think the state should put themselves (or us) in the business of promoting or enabling it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've heard the busiest lottery store in Tennessee is the one right across the Alabama border. The people of Alabama are gambling, just not in Alabama!:eek2:

I still wonder if a lottery would survive a popular vote. I say go for it.
Yep. More than one, really. When the powerball number really builds up, the lines form outside the little convenience stores in the TN side of Ardmore and most of the cars have 47, 44, 52 and various other north Alabama tags...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Yep. More than one, really. When the powerball number really builds up, the lines form outside the little convenience stores in the TN side of Ardmore and most of the cars have 47, 44, 52 and various other north Alabama tags...
And every time we travel to Florida both Mrs. Reb and her sister can't help but give both Florida and Georgia a pile of their money via lottery and scratch off tickets. When they "win" money or tickets, neither can resist the temptation to go back into the store time and again, spending that ''won'' money on even more tickets. Before we leave the store, both have made as many trips to the trash can as they have into the store, and neither has gained a single penny. To the contrary, both have only succeeded in giving away money that could have been put to much better uses.
I suspect that those states that do have lotteries hope and pray for lots of customers exactly like Mrs. Reb and her sister.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the only time we ever buy a lottery ticket is when the power ball goes over $250 million.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.