SCOTUS Irony re: Gay Marriage

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That's pretty much the rule now. A priest, pastor or rabbi should be just in a different category from a shopkeeper. That really should be a 1st Amendment issue, as you indicate. If you'd asked me about five years ago, I'd've said that it was a settled issue. Scalia, of course, raised that bugaboo in orals the other day. Kagan disagreed. If the holding favors SS marriage, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the opinion didn't contain some legal limitations, to keep away from the 1st Amendment question in the future. In fact, the test case is already ready, out of Idaho, of all places. Coeur d'Alene has an ordinance requiring clergy of any sort to perform gay marriages. The owners of a wedding chapel (clergy!?!?) have been fined, for refusal to perform such. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a test case out of Alabama. Our statutes list who may perform marriages, not who must. Some judges of probate (Mobile) have declined to perform any marriages at all. This obviously raises the same issue. As I said, the supreme court may choose to solve this in advance, with a 1st Amendment protection built-in, if SS marriage is upheld. JMHO, but Kennedy's questioning didn't look good for SSM. OTOH, Roberts' questions showed some surprising twists. As I think I've said above, some place, at this point, I wouldn't be totally surprised by a decision favoring SSM, but with Roberts writing a separate, concurring opinion, based narrowly on sexual discrimination, rather than a broad constitutional right. Going to be interesting...
Here's an interesting article on the "right to dignity" and Justice Kennedy:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/the-dangerous-doctrine-of-dignity/391796/

Although the word dignity has appeared in more than 900 Supreme Court opinions, Justice Kennedy, as Kenji Yoshino of NYU has noted, has been especially drawn to it. He has referred to “dignity” in cases ranging from partial-birth abortions to prisons. As Yoshino puts it, “When Justice Kennedy ascribes dignity to an entity, that entity generally prevails.” Kennedy’s recognition of the dignity interests of LGBT couples has been influential in persuading lower court judges to strike down bans on same-sex marriage. But although Kennedy’s description of the dignitary interests of LGBT couples is inspiring, and it accurately describes their social experience, the roots of the right to dignity in constitutional text, history, and tradition are harder to discern.
Seems like Kennedy will rule in favor of ssm, regardless of the slippery slope that the "right to dignity" represents (if in fact he decides to assert this right once again). And, seems like we will still have a conflict with the right to religious freedom, which is expressly protected by the Constitution. Conservative Christians simply need to claim their right to dignity to live as Christians and not be ostracized and demeaned for their religion when they don't want to bake cakes, perform marriage ceremonies, arrange flowers, or even perform music for a ssm.

What courts would do when confronted with the clashing dignitary rights of the religious wedding photographer and the gay couple, or the hunter and the victim of gun violence, is anyone’s guess, because dignity is such an abstract concept that its boundaries are difficult to discern.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/the-dangerous-doctrine-of-dignity/391796/

Seems like Kennedy will rule in favor of ssm, regardless of the slippery slope that the "right to dignity" represents (if in fact he decides to assert this right once again). And, seems like we will still have a conflict with the right to religious freedom, which is expressly protected by the Constitution. Conservative Christians simply need to claim their right to dignity to live as Christians and not be ostracized and demeaned for their religion when they don't want to bake cakes, perform marriage ceremonies, arrange flowers, or even perform music for a ssm.
This is the reason I said above that I hope that any decision favoring SSM has limitations built in regarding the 1st Amendment. It wouldn't be hard to do and could head off another decade of litigation...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV
That's pretty much the rule now. A priest, pastor or rabbi should be just in a different category from a shopkeeper. That really should be a 1st Amendment issue, as you indicate. If you'd asked me about five years ago, I'd've said that it was a settled issue. Scalia, of course, raised that bugaboo in orals the other day. Kagan disagreed. If the holding favors SS marriage, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the opinion didn't contain some legal limitations, to keep away from the 1st Amendment question in the future. In fact, the test case is already ready, out of Idaho, of all places. Coeur d'Alene has an ordinance requiring clergy of any sort to perform gay marriages. The owners of a wedding chapel (clergy!?!?) have been fined, for refusal to perform such. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a test case out of Alabama. Our statutes list who may perform marriages, not who must. Some judges of probate (Mobile) have declined to perform any marriages at all. This obviously raises the same issue. As I said, the supreme court may choose to solve this in advance, with a 1st Amendment protection built-in, if SS marriage is upheld. JMHO, but Kennedy's questioning didn't look good for SSM. OTOH, Roberts' questions showed some surprising twists. As I think I've said above, some place, at this point, I wouldn't be totally surprised by a decision favoring SSM, but with Roberts writing a separate, concurring opinion, based narrowly on sexual discrimination, rather than a broad constitutional right. Going to be interesting...
I think we had a thread about that Idaho case a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We did have such a thread. The Couer d'Alene Old West themed wedding chapel was a for profit business and was incorporated as a for profit. They advertised extensively. The clergy were "ministers" of the Four Square Gospel Church but had no church except the wedding chapel. It was determined that the city ordinance did not specify profit or non profit. I don't think the chapel was fined at all.

http://www.religionnews.com/2014/10...-hollow-victory-religious-freedom-commentary/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...it-chapel-need-not-perform-same-sex-weddings/

“After we’ve looked at this some more, we have come to the conclusion they would be exempt from our ordinance because they are a religious corporation,” Gridley explained.

I imagine there will be other lawsuits around the country depending upon the Supreme Court ruling.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Thanks. Good points in the article.

There is always going to be moral determination involved. There is just no way around it.

While I usually agree with and generally applaud efforts to keep from specifically legislating morals, at some point it is unavoidable. Those that do not adhere to generally accepted behavior in a given society will be always be stigmatized. IMO trying to set some arbitrary right to dignity forcing behavior to be accepted in attempts to avoid stigmatizing is more of a quagmire than a slippery slope. There is no possible society without someone being stigmatized for some behavior.

That said, I don't see the opposite side using the same argument easily. When a there is a societal shift in what is consider moral or dignified behavior, those making judgments about what should be allowed change too. IMO What is happening in the courts is just that type of change. it is resulting in a twisting of a legal system written based on a different moral code. If the decision of is based on this, I don't see the course reversing easily. I also do not see the current shifting of moral definitions reversing either.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.