Cyrus Jones Arrested (charges laster dropped)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Cyrus Jones Arrested

Some people who seem to be reveling in this don't get, or don't want to get how minor the charges appear to be. This based on the report was an argument no more, no less. If you haven't had a major argument with someone of the opposite sex, you haven't been in a serious relationship for long. I've never laid a hand on a woman in my adult life, never threatened my wife either (did throw a cell phone at a wall once), but I'm pretty sure when a girl kneed me in the balls in high school I cussed her out and probably made some threats for good measure. There's a world of difference between doing actual harm to someone, and getting upset.

I can contrast this with two incidents. One, involved my brother. Now, I lived with he and his wife for several years, the man never laid a hand on his wife, she never said he did, and I never once saw any sign of abuse. Well, once they got in a big argument, it has been brewing for a while, and she blocked his way and he threatened her with harm if she didn't get out of his way. That was all that happened. Well, they kept arguing, the police were called, and he admitted the threat. That resulted in a serious charge against him, and he narrowly avoided something major. He never had any intent to do harm though, I knew it, she knew it. The idea that it became such a big deal is absurd.

On the other hand (outside the city limits), I had a neighbor who repeatedly abused his wife. Police would be called, reports would be filed, but they'd never arrest him because being a typical battered woman she wouldn't go down and press charges. In one incident, she had a visible hand print on her neck! My understanding of the law was domestic abuse, signs of abuse, this guy is wanted, right? Nope, not at all. I even once, upon filing my own complaint had an officer tell me "Well I'd kick his ___ if he did that", seemingly ignoring the whole he tried attacking me with a tire iron part of the equation. So, we're dealing with widly disparate handling of these matters. On one hand, absolutely we need to bring abusers to justice. On the other hand, why are we trying to put non-violent people who did no harm in jail?

As to the militarization of the police force... some people are forgetting their job and sadly, it contributes to the mistrust on both sides.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

that logo made me cringe when i saw it. several of the metro atl police/sheriff depts are very similar. my favorites are the douglas county crew (i-20 west of atlanta) that wear what appears to be full combat gear for running radar on the interstate.
yeah, me too. Ever see the video of the Doraville PD SWAT Team using their armored personnel carrier? Both sad and scary at the same time.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

In some places "domestic violence" can apply to anybody living together such as roommates. Depends on the wording in each state's laws on DV.
Yep... In Texas former roomate can qualify... Just have to have lived under the same roof for at least 1 day in the past 2 years.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

yeah, me too. Ever see the video of the Doraville PD SWAT Team using their armored personnel carrier? Both sad and scary at the same time.
i haven't seen that video. the suburban/ex-urban depts seem to be the worst in the atlanta area (based on my anecdotal observances).

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

My two cents worth is that the girl now has extra leverage to control the athlete. (That's her threat)
Call it Blackmail if you will.
Criminal Mischief would have been a lesser charge for breaking a Cell Phone.
Harassment would have been a lesser charge for threatening the girl.

Now I tell you how things used to be done...

We didn't use a charge of Domestic Violence unless there were visible marks on one or the other of them.

LASTLY... We would have never used a militarized poster in an age of people complaining about the PD being too militarized.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Sounds like anger management classes, few extra activities and a 1 game suspension.
Exactly as it should be. Wait for the facts before making a decision. unfortunately that is a concept that gets lost on the internet by those who would rather jump to conclusions and prosecute immediately.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

My two cents worth is that the girl now has extra leverage to control the athlete. (That's her threat)
Call it Blackmail if you will.
Criminal Mischief would have been a lesser charge for breaking a Cell Phone.
Harassment would have been a lesser charge for threatening the girl.

Now I tell you how things used to be done...

We didn't use a charge of Domestic Violence unless there were visible marks on one or the other of them.

LASTLY... We would have never used a militarized poster in an age of people complaining about the PD being too militarized.
Once again, our poster with experience in law enforcement checks in with both wisdom and common sense.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

In some places "domestic violence" can apply to anybody living together such as roommates. Depends on the wording in each state's laws on DV.

I've actually seen a Domestic Violence charge - which was later dismissed or dropped or whatever - between two next-door neighbors who got into a heated argument outside so another neighbor called the cops. They were both straight males who never lived together, so I'm pretty sure there was no prior "relationship"; they were just neighbors.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Yeah and we know "eyewitness" testimony is 100% accurate....

When the day comes (and I'm sure it's on the way) that I can be charged with harassment for beeping at some idiot on a cell phone sitting at a green light, I'm leaving...

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area

I've actually seen a Domestic Violence charge - which was later dismissed or dropped or whatever - between two next-door neighbors who got into a heated argument outside so another neighbor called the cops. They were both straight males who never lived together, so I'm pretty sure there was no prior "relationship"; they were just neighbors.
Wow, that truly is a catch all law. Thanks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.