Link: The sad, sad Keith McCants story...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I remember him running down a barn wide receiver (F. Weygand?) from behind in a losing cause. Think it was the 87 or 88 Iron Bowl. Still one of the greatest displays of athleticism I've ever seen.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Players today have so much better a chance of a good outcome from knee injuries. Their practices back then seem almost barbaric today. I was down to Andrews a couple of weeks ago for my last hip replacement checkup. (Passed with flying colors - don't have to come back for a year.) My right knee is bone on bone, so we got to discussing knees. By chance, while waiting, I had just read an article in Scientific American on new techniques being developed at Duke. They take MRIs and x-rays and, using a 3-D printer, they create a matrix or scaffold. They then spin a marrow extract in a centrifuge and concentrate the stem cells and platelets and inject that into the mold. I need to re-read the article. I don't know if they have to install the matrix into the knee space first or not. The stem cells do their job and recreate the cartilage. My surgeon was enthralled. He said that all of the other technology was in place, except for a scaffold or matrix and the 3-D printer provided that. We then had the same thought as the same time, and that was it might mean a return to immobilization, at least temporarily. We talked about the progress which has been made from the old ankle to groin cast (like I had a friend go through just for an ACL). My doc's about mid '50s and he had done residency under one of the pioneers, Dr. Campbell. They were doing the long casts back then and he said they showed one patient who only had about 15 degree bend out of the cast and that was termed a "good result." :rolleyes:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
This is a video from the NYT. He's surprisingly articulate and intelligent...
LINK
Earle, bet you couldn't help notice that the NYT takeout related to the video, "The Class of '90: Where Are They Now?" is a retrospective Rosetta Stone for all that ails the NFL these days.

Did you read the vignettes? - minus Junior Seau's obituary, probably half of them were dead-man-walking reminiscences of misery and despair.

Still, I'm thinking the NYT's focus on McCants' debilitating past has provided him a venue as a "reality speaker" for resurrecting himself...unless - and until - he falls back again. But you're right, how he packaged himself as having valuable life experience on offer as a walking, talking cautionary tale for coming (or current) NFL players was a mighty smart stroke.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I remember him running down a barn wide receiver (F. Weygand?) from behind in a losing cause. Think it was the 87 or 88 Iron Bowl. Still one of the greatest displays of athleticism I've ever seen.
I was thinking it was Trey Gainous (sp?) but I'm not certain. But what I am certain of is how sad to have that memory of that incredible play in mind as I watched the video and Keith faltering as he walked down that hallway and needing the support of the wall and another person to make it out the door. Sad indeed.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, that was amazing. One of those plays when people couldn't believe what they had just seen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I do hope that the telling of his story is therapeutic for Keith and helps others. Watching him attempt to move is just.....wow. Keith is only 18 months older than I.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, bet you couldn't help notice that the NYT takeout related to the video, "The Class of '90: Where Are They Now?" is a retrospective Rosetta Stone for all that ails the NFL these days.

Did you read the vignettes? - minus Junior Seau's obituary, probably half of them were dead-man-walking reminiscences of misery and despair.

Still, I'm thinking the NYT's focus on McCants' debilitating past has provided him a venue as a "reality speaker" for resurrecting himself...unless - and until - he falls back again. But you're right, how he packaged himself as having valuable life experience on offer as a walking, talking cautionary tale for coming (or current) NFL players was a mighty smart stroke.
Yes, I did see them. All that money down the drain. Keith was at a loss as to where his 18 million went...

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
As harsh as football is today, it was Wild, Wild West as I remember it in the 80's. I remember Bo Jackson turning down Tampa Bay and getting crucified in the media for it. In the box scores every morning for the Memphis Chicks it would be, in bold, Bo Jackson went 0-4.. After seeing the Keith McCants outcome, it looks as if Bo made the right choice. You can't take it with you.

Kevin Turner is a cautionary tale. I hope it is getting better. I don't believe it is.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
What a powerful story. Thanks for posting. It's good to see Keith sharing his story and trying to help others.

McCants was an excellent college football player. He was a freak and one of the best LB's I've seen at Alabama.

Whirleybird

Scout Team
Oct 23, 2004
Could have been a different Iron Bowl or a faded memory, but IIRC Keith was knocked flat of his back as Lionel "little train" Williams broke through the line at full speed. Keith jumped up and chased him down from behind. It was truly amazing.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
He was one of the players interviewed in the 30 for 30 on professional players going broke. I believe in that documentary he said his knees have been cut on over 30 times. I'm assuming that's any procedure but still too many to endure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Could have been a different Iron Bowl or a faded memory, but IIRC Keith was knocked flat of his back as Lionel "little train" Williams broke through the line at full speed. Keith jumped up and chased him down from behind. It was truly amazing.
Lionel "Little Train" was James, and he was long gone before McCants showed up in Tuscaloosa. James was drafted in 1984, and McCants only played in 1987-88-89.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As harsh as football is today, it was Wild, Wild West as I remember it in the 80's. I remember Bo Jackson turning down Tampa Bay and getting crucified in the media for it. In the box scores every morning for the Memphis Chicks it would be, in bold, Bo Jackson went 0-4.. After seeing the Keith McCants outcome, it looks as if Bo made the right choice. You can't take it with you.

Kevin Turner is a cautionary tale. I hope it is getting better. I don't believe it is.
Yeah, I thought Bo made the right decision before he decided to play football as a........"hobby"............

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.