6A Player of the Year Lawson Schaffer will walk-on

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Link

Lawson Schaffer wanted a chance to prove himself. He'll get that opportunity at Alabama.

The reigning Class 6A Player of the Year from Cullman announced this afternoon that he has accepted a walk-on invitation from new Crimson Tide coach Avery Johnson. Schaffer, a 5-foot-11 guard, also had a walk-on invite from Bruce Pearl and Auburn, and UAB. Schaffer's lone Division I offer was from Furman. He was mainly pursued by Division II schools.

Schaffer said that he made his decision after returning home from a visit to Alabama on April 23.

"Meeting (Johnson) in general was awesome," Schaffer said. "When he was telling me that they wanted me to be part of the team, I was truly blessed and excited about it."

Schaffer said that he relishes the underdog role that comes with being a walk-on.

"It'll make me work twice as hard," he said. "I'm going to go in and work my tail off and hope for the best."

Schaffer finished fourth in Mr. Basketball voting behind Alabama signee Dazon Ingram of Theodore, Madison Academy 5-star guard Joshua Langford and J.O. Johnson four-star recruit John Petty. Schaffer was named first-team Super All-State by AL.com after averaging 21.4 points, 7.8 assists, 7.1 rebounds and 3.4 steals while helping lead the Bearcats (23-9) to a No. 3 ranking and a trip to the Class 6A Northwest Regional championship game.

Schaffer said that he will be roommates with Ingram.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This is the kind of kid you just love to see get a chance. It may be similar situation for as it was for Pettway. I haven't seen him ,but I'd bet he will prove a valuable member of the team.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
This is the kind of kid you just love to see get a chance. It may be similar situation for as it was for Pettway. I haven't seen him ,but I'd bet he will prove a valuable member of the team.
I see this as being a win-win-win situation for us. He can get a scholly for 1 year if we can't find 3 more quality players, he will be great to practice against, and he may turn out to be a diamond-in-the-rough like Pettway was. Great pickup by CAJ, IMHO.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Unless there just are not very many 6A schools in Alabama (I have no idea), 6A Player of the Year sounds pretty big. Interesting that he didn't have scholarship offers to big schools. He looks pretty light but also looks very young in the photo.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
According to the AHSAA web site, there are 60 schools in Class 6A. Alabama has seven classifications for sports, with the 32 biggest schools being in 7A. So the 6A schools are the second biggest sized schools in the state.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Undersized and undervalued. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get significant playing time in time. He sounds highly motivated too!

And the cherry on top, even though it's a walkon situation, he chose Bama over Auburn!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.