Amari Goes 4th!

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
I give Mettenberger a better chance in Nashville. Mariotta has never struck me as a great all around qb that is made for the pros. I feel it was a pressured pick by desperate owners. IMO
I saw an article from NBC yesterday that said the interim president of the Titans wanted Mariotta to pump up the value of the franchise, which is for sale. The football staff was hoping to trade the pick to improve the roster. Pretty clear who won.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have several friends in the Nashville area who cannot give away Titan home game tickets. I could see selling the team and moving it to Los Angeles.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I saw an article from NBC yesterday that said the interim president of the Titans wanted Mariotta to pump up the value of the franchise, which is for sale. The football staff was hoping to trade the pick to improve the roster. Pretty clear who won.
I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that is false. They tried to trade the pick, but asked for way too much for the pick. There was interest for Mariota, but they weren't getting anything close to what other teams have gotten for a #2 pick. They wanted something like the Rams got for the RG3 pick - they got three first rounders and a second round pick. The Titans weren't getting anything close to that. So, they rolled the dice on Mariota.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that is false. They tried to trade the pick, but asked for way too much for the pick. There was interest for Mariota, but they weren't getting anything close to what other teams have gotten for a #2 pick. They wanted something like the Rams got for the RG3 pick - they got three first rounders and a second round pick. The Titans weren't getting anything close to that. So, they rolled the dice on Mariota.
I seriously doubt the Titans franchise is going anywhere. Ownership will probably change but remain in Nashville. When the Titans stayed at 2, they should have taken Cooper. This just wasn't the best draft for QBs so they needed to build a team around the QB. Then later draft your plug and play QB if Mettburger doesn't work. Or get Rivers in a yr or two.

I really wish they had taken the philly or Cleveland offer though. We need picks and proven players.

In the end, the Titans are just a horrible organization. They are still my team though.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I'm not so sure. Check this out: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tennessee-titans-got-insane-trade-012700920.html

According to that article and Ian Rappaport, Philly offered:

• Two first-round picks
  • One third-round pick
  • Fletcher Cox, the team's best defensive player
  • Brandon Boykin, nickel corner
  • Sam Bradford, starting quarterback
  • Mychal Kendricks, starting linebacker

And the Titans declined. If true, they forwent quite a bit to stick with Mariota. Either way, I don't think picking Mariota at #2 was a very good call...

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'm not so sure. Check this out: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tennessee-titans-got-insane-trade-012700920.html

According to that article and Ian Rappaport, Philly offered:

• Two first-round picks
  • One third-round pick
  • Fletcher Cox, the team's best defensive player
  • Brandon Boykin, nickel corner
  • Sam Bradford, starting quarterback
  • Mychal Kendricks, starting linebacker

And the Titans declined. If true, they forwent quite a bit to stick with Mariota. Either way, I don't think picking Mariota at #2 was a very good call...
And Chip Kelly is saying they didn't even make an offer for him.

The truth is in the middle. They didn't offer all of that. However, it's believable because it's the Titans.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
What happened to the Amari thread? The only thing that is going to suck for Amari is playing on a baseball field in Oakland. He will get tackled on dirt quite a bit and that won't be fun.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What happened to the Amari thread? The only thing that is going to suck for Amari is playing on a baseball field in Oakland. He will get tackled on dirt quite a bit and that won't be fun.
Well if anything ever comes out with the Raiders and Chargers sharing a stadium in LA until they build new ones, then yes He will have to avoid 2nd base. The Raider's lease expired in January for the Oakland Colliseum so who knows about the Raiders.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
As much as I hate to see Coop with the raiders, there are worse places he could have gone. I would rather see him on a team with a solid, up and coming quarterback than a bottomless pit like the Jets or Browns. At least with the Raiders he should be give every chance to be succesful, even if the team isn't. Best of luck to him

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I was in a bind in how I felt about Coop. At first I didn't want him going to the Raiders because they seem to be player killers, but I also wanted him to go 4th as that was the highest he was going with what the top 3 were going to pick. But I admit I wanted them to pick White instead and Coop to be in a better situation but I think he will do well with Carr. It seems they are making better picks though so maybe things keep going up and we see him as All-NFL or whatever they call it these days!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Amari really was one of the best route runners I've ever seen. People often overlook that. I always thought Julio was a little lazy in the route running. He made up for it with physicality and he's gotten better int he pros.
Believe that is due to each player's time at the position. Julio was a running back until his sophomore year IIRC. Amari has not played any position other than wide receiver in all of his years playing football. Also, Amari has a personal trainer/coach - Chris Carter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.