Landon Collins - to the Giants in the 1st pick of the 2nd Round

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Re: Landon Collins - where do you think he will go?

I'm sure he's disappointed that he didn't go in the first round, but then Eddie Lacy didn't go until late in the 2nd round. That worked out ok. He'll be one of the first few picks today.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

The goal is to win. There is no 'the student in student-athlete is most important' thinking in the NFL.....just win.

If being a GM were easy, everybody would be doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I disagree that Collins can't cover or that it is a major weakness. It's JMO, but I believe he spent way too much time trying to clean up other folks messes last year and it made him look out of position.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I disagree that Collins can't cover or that it is a major weakness. It's JMO, but I believe he spent way too much time trying to clean up other folks messes last year and it made him look out of position.
I don't get the coverage complaints. He supposedly was at fault for the game winning TD against Ole Miss, but former players like Will Lowery immediately tweeted Landon was doing his job.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

I think he will go early today he is a good hard worker and team player he will do good.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

As a Steelers fan I was disappointed when we didn't take him last night. Hopefully they can get him in the second round, but I don't think he will be around then.
haha -- I was hoping the Cowboys would take him with their late first round pick. Guess they needed a corner more than a safety.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

The goal is to win. There is no 'the student in student-athlete is most important' thinking in the NFL.....just win.

I agree its not easy. Its incredibly difficult. Yet, they still make so many baffling boneheaded moves. I think it is because they are or try to be too​ smart. They overthink.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I agree its not easy. Its incredibly difficult. Yet, they still make so many baffling boneheaded moves. I think it is because they are or try to be too​ smart. They overthink.
LOL. Yeah, the draft is not the time to shock the world, or try to out-think the class

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

More and more the NFL is becoming a speed league...LC's weakness is covering, not tackling. I was surprised when he was rated so highly initially. He's not nearly as complete a safety as Clinton-Dix or Barron in their last years -- and they both struggled at first. Either he needs to lose a little weight or move to OLB.
agreed. showing up at the combine with a lot of extra weight at 228 lbs really hurt him especially since there was a perception he wasn't great in coverage. At 228 he's going to end up as a dime LB. He'll have to get into camp much leaner to prove he can play S

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

I'm surprised of the hit that he's taken all of the sudden because they think he can't cover anyone.He was instinctive and fast to the ball on every play i ever saw.Was probably the hardest worker and had the most hustle of any player i've seen since Javier Arenas.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

He should've been gone by the time Colts came around. I don't know what's the issue was, but that was messed up. Lately, we've had our Alabama players sliding in the draft and I know CNS addressed that last night.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I think this is the most true statement in the thread. Gms are in a very hard spot. They are between the coaches and the owners. Draft day the movie was a mediocre movie, but it really shows the politics and the stress gms have to deal with between a coaches view and a owners view.

I think many people posting here don't watch or keep up with the nfl enough to know how the back office works. I know it stinks that bama only had 1 pick in the 1st round but usually it makes sense in the end of why teams chose certain players at certain times.

Like you said if being a gm is easy then anyone could do it

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Outside of Trent McLain, and Cody -- what players have been busts? And even though he's a head case, McLain hasn't really been a bust.....

Dre? Milliner? it's still relatively early -- Dre just got a contract extension to a 5th year - worth about $7.5 Mil -- so, they must think he's worth it....

I'm tired of hearing about Bama players being busts.....

1st-3rd Rd Picks

2009 - Andre Smith, Glen Coffee, Antoine Caldwell, Rashad Johnson
2010 - Rolando McClain, Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas, Terrence Cody, Mike Johnson
2011 - Marcell Dareus, Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, James Carpenter
2012 - Trent, Mark Barron, Dre Kirkpatrick, Donta Hightower, Upshaw
2013 - Dee Milliner, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker, Eddie Lacy
2014 - CJ Mosley, Ha Ha, Kouandjio

Don't see many busts.....5 have won Super Bowls, 5 have Pro Bowl Honors....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He's going back to NOLA for the rest of the draft.

How Landon Collins made a heartbreaking exit from the first round of the NFL draft

Landon Collins hadn’t felt this way since his first game as a freshman at Alabama.

Nerves had finally set in.

The sensation hit Thursday when he woke up at 8 a.m. Collins thought he’d surely be the No. 1 safety selected and no question taken in the first round.

By 10:30 p.m., the first round of the 2015 NFL draft had concluded and Collins fled the green room at the Auditorium Theater at Roosevelt University, making his way four blocks to his room at the Palmer House Hilton Hotel.

His name was never called.

And he didn’t want to talk.

He was supposed to be celebrating with friends and family after being drafted at a Chicago club called Underground.

Instead, it was an early night.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

I'm an admitted Packers homer but it ain't terribly difficult to just plain think, period, of the possibilities for Collins as a run-support, tight-end coverage OLB hybrid in a dime scheme. Dom Capers has got it wrong so many years in a row with the Packers D that Collins can be a serendipitous choice for getting it right at last. That, and never again having another number 50 (AJ The Great White Hoax Hawk) in a Green Bay uniform would certainly balance the odds for actually playing defense again at Lambeau.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Outside of Trent McLain, and Cody -- what players have been busts? And even though he's a head case, McLain hasn't really been a bust.....

Dre? Milliner? it's still relatively early -- Dre just got a contract extension to a 5th year - worth about $7.5 Mil -- so, they must think he's worth it....

I'm tired of hearing about Bama players being busts.....

1st-3rd Rd Picks

2009 - Andre Smith, Glen Coffee, Antoine Caldwell, Rashad Johnson
2010 - Rolando McClain, Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas, Terrence Cody, Mike Johnson
2011 - Marcell Dareus, Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, James Carpenter
2012 - Trent, Mark Barron, Dre Kirkpatrick, Donta Hightower, Upshaw
2013 - Dee Milliner, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker, Eddie Lacy
2014 - CJ Mosley, Ha Ha, Kouandjio

Don't see many busts.....5 have won Super Bowls, 5 have Pro Bowl Honors....
Good post. Arguably we have one of the top 5 best players at the their position in several players

DL - Marcell Dareus
WR - Julio Jones
RB - Eddie Lacy

Donta and CJ are very close to top 5 ILB (Ro will be soon if he keeps going strong)

I think DJ, Chance and Haha will soon be all-pro players soon also.

The 2012 class is the one most people want to point out that makes Bama players a bust w/ Trent, Barron and Dre but the book has not closed yet.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

The first two picks in the 2nd round need a safety, especially the Titans. The main reason he fell has to do with team needs not so much LC. Only one S was taken (GB). I've read that the Packers wanted a S that could also potentially be moved to CB too. Can't really do that with LC.

I was surprised Indy passed on him since they badly need help at S. Seemed most teams wanted a WR and it was a deep WR class. Not a lot of DBs taken this year especially when compared to the previous years. To me the biggest surprise was THREE defensive players taken from Washington. You know the team that gave up 52 points to Eastern Washington? I know EWU is a 1AA powerhouse & had Oregon's new QB transfer. Just didn't know that UW had that kind of talent on D.

It wasn't a popular choice here in Indy either. The GM, Ryan Grigson, has repeatedly said that they always want to draft the best player available no matter what position they play. This one has left the entire city scratching it's head. There are needs across the board, and they took a player in about the only position we don't need.
Indy only wishes to build offenses. That's why they struggle against complete teams. Defenses and balanced overall teams wins Super Bowls. That's why the colts are stuck with 2
You are dead on. Of the last 23 picks the colts have had in the first 4 rounds, they've drafted 16 offensive players. Granted, they've won a lot of games that way, but the defense is aging big time. I think there will be a bigger focus on defense the rest of the way. I don't see many more offensive players taken unless it's a lineman. (Or if there's a runningback available who they just can't pass up.)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

It wasn't a popular choice here in Indy either. The GM, Ryan Grigson, has repeatedly said that they always want to draft the best player available no matter what position they play. This one has left the entire city scratching it's head. There are needs across the board, and they took a player in about the only position we don't need.
Nonsense. The Colts don't have enough #1 and #2 WRs on the roster. :wink:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.